Possible James Jamerson track? Mamie P Galore.

11 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Anyone throw any light on engineering/studio/location for this one?

Bears all the hallmarks I look at when attempting to identify a possible Jamerson recording. The chromatic style and the way the bass is fingered on this one suggests to me JJ rather than an imitator!

Interesting one this, as arranger was Wally Roker and writers are Virginia Bland (Monk Higgins Wife) and Don Juan Mancha who were also credited on Tyrone Davis I'm Running A Losing Race (same label) and Bobby Jean Bland I'm Satisfied Just Loving You (same label)

Sack was originally a Chicago label and then moved to LA

The Yardbird Production credit could help by I am lost on that Dave Moore or Robb K would be a good ask

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Added other artists
Social source share

As already stated, Sack was the Monk Higgins label that relocated from Chicago to LA (Special Agent was another of his Chicago based production outfits that Mamie cut for). Wally Roker was based out of LA (at that time), so I'd guess this was cut in LA. This track was included on the UK Manhattan LP credited to Doris Duke & Friends (Funky Fox) and which included a number of Monk Higgins produced Chicago & LA cut tracks (none of which had anything to do with Doris Duke at all). 

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

If the 'Don Juan' mentioned as one of the songwriters was Don Juan Mancha, his MO was to record tracks first and then use them on any artist or song he came across later and he travelled quite widely, including Chicago, New York, LA., Memphis and others. All the tracks he recorded were done in Detroit so the Jamerson link is possible.

Social source share

I'm just going on my sound working knowledge of the Bass instrument and a fairly comprehensive analytical knowledge of JJ. It struck me as a very strong probability, either it being a rejected Motown backing track or JJ on one of his moonlighting outings. I've been very vocal about a great many recordings that I don't believe he played on, contrary to popular opinion, so thought it only right to state that this one I think is one of his. We all know he worked in LA, do the dates tally with his time in LA? Mind you Rob states that the track originated in Detroit so...

We may never know but it's certainly pencilled in with me, my ear says yes. I'll probably go further and suss out the part on Bass and analyse it further but I'm pretty sure already on this one!

And...

Killer record, I understand it comes complete with a dental chart for a Rhode Island Red as well, certainly haven't heard from any of the big hitter DJs I know that they have one... Anybody?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!