Removing Dymo tape

• Replies 15
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

From everything I have read/tried they are on for good I'm afraid. I did read someone suggesting sliding a razor blade or scalpel underneath but it's hit and miss whether it will rip the label.

Does anyone know if applying a heat source would loosen the type of glue used on dymo tape??

Social source share

To remove without leaving any evidence of the label is 100% impossible , not almost so. 

But a "slowly , slowly , catchee monkey" approach with Zippo fluid and a new scalpel blade (#10 or #23 preferably ... convex blade)  in a steady hand will remove them . 

But if you are not particularly dexterous , or it's the Sunday after a nighter then I'd advise leave well alone ... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Personally I wouldn't attempt to remove Dymo, the probability of success is likely to be minimal if it's on a paper label/sleeve. At least the text on it should be presented well, unlike bad handwriting which can make it an item look awful. Out of curiosity can we have a look at the item/s in question?

Social source share

4 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

Dymo tape wow really 70ts stuff - leave it well alone they look great

There's a thought, it would be hard for someone to accuse you of having mid 80's onwards reissues if they have Dymo on them!

If you consider selling them Nick make sure you describe them acutely with DOL

Social source share

Another painful sticker type is those Mr Chips stickers on USA 45's. They are impossible to get off without leaving damage.

Some paper stickers can be removed successfully with water, if it's done slowly and it's left to soak in. 

Social source share

White spirit for standard stickers. The spirit dries clear. It rarely fails, no exaggeration I have done several thousand.

Got a sticker on something with really ugly handwriting or/and incorrect information such as a miscalculated BPM, and you don't want to risk removing it? Blank it out by sticking something else over it. Ideas included your name and address, or maybe some musicians credits for the track obtained from elsewhere. Just print whatever it is on to a piece of paper, cut to size and glue on, tweezers will help. If it improves the appearance and offers peace of mind then it's a winning solution.

Got an ugly bend near to the corner of an LP sleeve? If so I usually covert it to cut-out appearance if it will improve the look.

Nasty bend in an LP sleeve but not near enough to corner for the above? Use the trick in large paragraph above to hide it if it improves the appearance, maybe it only has one or two stand out tracks, print the titles off and stick them over the bend.

How about this one which I've done several times. Two copies of an LP, one has trashed front, the other trashed back. You've got to be good with your hands and have an eye for detail to do this and it helps if you have building/decorating experience, but by carefully planning it out, taking folds into consideration for gluing, you can make one decent condition sleeve with the pair.

There's more. Two copies of an LP, disc to one is trashed, bin the disc. One sleeve has diabolical water damage for 25% of area on back, the other one has a sticker rip on front and ugly writing. Going to take some good planning again but cut out the damaged 25% area giving it straight edges all sides, place it over the other sleeve in exact spot and cut the fresh replacement piece of that out. Then using another scrap sleeve create an insert so that you now have a double thickness back and stick that and the fresh piece into position. You could even just cut out the required replacement area and glue it over the damaged one if you don't have the required skills for this type of work.

Just a few tricks to consider but if you're not well tooled up [snap offs/steel rules/plenty of PVA glue/good lighting] then don't try.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!