Curtis

Philb

4 hours ago, philb said:

So JM has a Curtis - How Can I Tell Her - Charm City 1879 up for auction and in the description it states it’s the rarer version to the common MD 1932 mix, now I thought it was the other way round?

Thoughts?

My understanding as well philb. I have the 1879 version and for long enough looked for the 1932 version as well. Definitely saw/was offered more of the 1879 version than the other so just gave up in the end.  The 1932 version always seems to be the dearer one and I'm sure in JM's latest price guide that is the case not that that proves anything!

Social source share

Th

1 hour ago, Fishdockroad said:

My understanding as well philb. I have the 1879 version and for long enough looked for the 1932 version as well. Definitely saw/was offered more of the 1879 version than the other so just gave up in the end.  The 1932 version always seems to be the dearer one and I'm sure in JM's latest price guide that is the case not that that proves anything!

The 12" version has a superb Break towards the end, it's a struggle to fit in a 7" box though :)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Fishdockroad said:

Just checked JM's 6th edition price guide, both are listed at £75

Social source share

8 hours ago, philb said:

So JM has a Curtis - How Can I Tell Her - Charm City 1879 up for auction and in the description it states it’s the rarer version to the common MD 1932 mix, now I thought it was the other way round?

Thoughts?

I always thought the 1932 mix is the tougher one.  Always seemed to be the harder one to get.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Fishdockroad said:

7th edition says 1879 still at £75 but the 1932 version is £150 now.  

why would the "rarer" one be the cheapest?, i've got the 1879 one but it's not for sale anyway.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

More interesting for me is that JM has turned up another copy of the Jones Girls on Music Merchant test press. An old play at crossover venues off of a test press, it just proves the comment about you never know if something is a one or two off or not. I am of course also disappointed 🤣

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

More interesting for me is that JM has turned up another copy of the Jones Girls on Music Merchant test press. An old play at crossover venues off of a test press, it just proves the comment about you never know if something is a one or two off or not. I am of course also disappointed 🤣

I'm unsure if the song when played out has the same impact as it did before it's release in the HDH singles box set and I think this might be reflected in the closing price.  Saying that, I fully expect my comment to be blown out of the water once the auction closes.

Social source share

14 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

He’s removed the rarer description now 

No he hasn't Ted.

Curtis Anderson with the sought-after rare 4:50 "DM 1879 " mix of his best loved Northern Soul offering.

A Northern Soul classic as the commoner and sadly inferior MD 1932 mix, that eliminates the Hi-Hat drums and driving percussion sound. That makes this DM 1879 session so superior, to it's more often seen brother.

Two Baltimore, "Jimmy's" collaborate on this 1979 Maryland indie; Jimmy Lindsay and Jimmy Stewart, join Melvin Miles & Anton Scott on this club winner with the renewed driving intro..

Harmony vocals whispering "How Can I Tell Her" through a wall of "disco" cliche's until fully 1:16 seconds in Curtis Anderson comes in to elevate the session even higher with his impressive voice..
Rhythmic hand-clapping, wah-wah picking, blasting trumpets, understated background male choruses all mingle into one solid slab of neatly 5 minutes of concrete dance-music. The dramatic instrumental electric drum driven break towards the ending caps off a relentless dance-offering.

The rarest mix, the best mix of a record that has sat at the heart of 70's Northern Soul for nearly 4 decades without any hint of losing it's dancefloor impact.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/curtis-how-can-i-tell-her-i-remember-charm-city-dm-1879.html

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, John Reed said:

I'm unsure if the song when played out has the same impact as it did before it's release in the HDH singles box set and I think this might be reflected in the closing price.  Saying that, I fully expect my comment to be blown out of the water once the auction closes.

I haven't really played it out for a few years now John. Nesting on the shelves as they say. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2019 at 10:32, philb said:

Thoughts?

Only went for £282  🙄 lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!