RICK SCOTT

Pop songs from your youth that make you smile

In my first teens I remember my sister two years older tan me who have a monaural turntable "Faro" and many singles and some LP's. From these years 8first 70's) I remember with sympathy some ones as Mungo Jerry's "Lady Rose" b/w "Luisito", here in Spain much more popular than their hit "In The Summertime". She have also Rubette's "Sugar Baby Love", Middle Of The Road in spanish "Los Reyes Magos",… 😊

12 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

In my first teens I remember my sister two years older tan me who have a monaural turntable "Faro" and many singles and some LP's. From these years 8first 70's) I remember with sympathy some ones as Mungo Jerry's "Lady Rose" b/w "Luisito", here in Spain much more popular than their hit "In The Summertime". She have also Rubette's "Sugar Baby Love", Middle Of The Road in spanish "Los Reyes Magos",… 😊

Thanks for your first Choice song Josep, Always thought he had a simlar type waver in his voice to Marc Bolan (Tyrannosaurus Rex/ T Rex) Early stuff in particular, Rick

24 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Thanks for your first Choice song Josep, Always thought he had a simlar type waver in his voice to Marc Bolan (Tyrannosaurus Rex/ T Rex) Early stuff in particular, Rick

Despite the fact I have been a "soul music obsessed" from my teens or before, I recognize the value of some pop music with "feeling" from these years (60's - mid to late 70's), for example I found some vocal "doo wop" influence on The Rubette's "Just Can Do It" or some "soul" in the Cat Steven's catalogue, so mellow, and I recall playing one time and another his instrumental "Back To Earth" on wich I found a reminiscence of "Philly Sound - MFSB" (!!??)… 😋

IF I skip right past Puff The Magic Dragon then in no particular order;

The Tams.  Be young, be foolish, be happy

William Bell.  Happy

Brenda Holloway.  You made me so very happy

Ok maybe the word Happy also makes 'smile'

Funny, but a few weeks ago I was contemplating starting a new thread along the lines of "guilty dirty little secrets", which would have been about pop songs we all secretly love, and have done for decades. Thanks for doing it for me Rick!

Here are (some of) mine:-

Small faces- "All or Nothing". 

Along with the Spencer Davis Group, Dusty, Wayne Fontana, The Action, and a multitude of other artists, The Small Faces had a massive effect on what many of us were listening to at the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s. It may even be said that these were as responsible for us becoming soulies as youth clubs, older kids, and even the music itself. 

Love Affair- "Everlasting Love", and "My Rainbow Valley". 

OK, I know I know, being a soulie I should prefer the originals. But both these tunes knock Robert Knights versions into next week and beyond. "Everlasting Love" is probably the most perfect pop song ever released, on whatever level you care to judge. "Rainbow Valley" ain't too far behind. I think Steve Ellis, the lead singer, was only about 15 or 16 when both were recorded. An amazing voice and an amazing performance for one so young.

Elvis Presley- "Suspicious Minds", "In the Ghetto", and "American Trilogy"

Yea, he was a nutcase. Cheesy, weird, fat, and lots of other things. But he was also probably one of the greatest showmen the world has ever seen, and with a voice to match. His studio versions of the above songs are great, but the live performances take all three to another level. 

Not a day goes by without me dipping in and out of YouTube to listen to at least one of the above. And every one of them brings a smile to my face. 

Edited by Joey

9 minutes ago, Joey said:

Love Affair- "Everlasting Love", and "My Rainbow Valley". 

OK, I know I know, being a soulie I should prefer the originals. But both these tunes knock Robert Knights versions into next week and beyond. "Everlasting Love" is probably the most perfect pop song ever released, on whatever level you care to judge. "Rainbow Valley" ain't too far behind. I think Steve Ellis, the lead singer, was only about 15 or 16 when both were recorded. An amazing voice and an amazing performance for one so young.

So with you on this sir , Everlasting Love is simply perfect ... :thumbup:

Only thing that prevented me posting it was that I wasn't a "young'un" when I first heard it but an early teen.

If you really want to make this interesting read    Alluri  2013  and get an understanding of the interaction between music and the areas of the brain that form memory and create the emotions such as 'smile'.

Edited by Steve C

strangley enough whilst driving to work this morning got thinking about a few records my mum had when I was a nipper I used to love

tornados - telstar

christian st peters -  pied piper

and everything from del shannon!!

2 minutes ago, autumnstoned said:

Noddy and his great barnet!

Slade would have been my second live concert , aged 13 , again at Ipswich Gaumont ... but bloody chicken pox struck me down and I missed the gig ... :(

2 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

Edison Lighthouse, Love Grows (do get get more poppy than that?!)  Roy Oribson Its Over (Still love it)

Lived in LA for just over a year, 69/70, and "Love grows...." was on every radio, at least twice an hour. Still can't get the bugger out of my head! 

12 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

This one makes me smile, especially when performed on a German pop show.  Don't think the audience quite know what to think of Sparks keyboard player.....

Russell and Ron .... more menacing than Reg and Ron methinks ... :ohmy:

Think that's the first YT clip I've actually watched from start to finish in four years here on Soul Source , great memories from 47 years ago ... it's nice not to be blinkered ...  off to check out more of their stuff now ... :D

11 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

I played this for hours on end to annoy my parents and the neighbours, there's still a very worn copy in my bedroom at my father's...

A firm favourite on Stewpot's Junior Choice.

PS - Did they come and take you away?

Edited by Steve S 60

41 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

When I joined the navy my parents moved house and forgot to tell me.

I just didn't get in touch for 12 years, I phoned them from Hawaii asking if they were OK, and my father said "Oh, we thought you were dead", parents, who'd have them?  (all of us, otherwise etc.)

16 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

But of all of the acts that followed that so-called "new wave" there was/is one band that stands head and shoulders above the rest as far churning out brilliant "pop" records is concerned and that was Derry's magnificent "Undertones" ... :hatsoff2:

From same 'Ireland' and IMVHO the finest track of this genre....

Edited by Zed1

From the "same Ireland" maybe ... but a very different outlook on life ...  summed up on the Derry boys follow up album with  "More songs about chocolate and girls ... "   ... :thumbsup:

Jake and the boys recorded one of the finest albums of all time in "Inflammable Material" , still in my top ten albums list ... but they could never be accused of writing "pop" songs now could they  ... ! 

Another magnificent live act though that never failed to deliver onstage whenever I saw them , started sweating as soon as I unlocked this folder of pics so again I'll share them rather than trying to choose a track to link ... :shades:

Again Ipswich Gaumont , again '80/1 , only time I saw them with camera in hand.

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 001.JPG

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 002.JPG

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 003.JPG

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 007 (2).jpg

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 015.JPG

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 017 (2).jpg

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 019.JPG

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 020.JPG

Stiff Little Fingers, Ipswich Gaumont 025.JPG

Edited by WoodButcher

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.