Rick Scott profile photo

Pop songs from your youth that make you smile

Freebasing Rick Scott

Posted
On 11/01/2019 at 22:37, Joey said:

Lived in LA for just over a year, 69/70, and "Love grows...." was on every radio, at least twice an hour. Still can't get the bugger out of my head! 

Can just imagine walking round the ,=mean streets of LA singing it at the top of your voice in your best Owdham accent!

• Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, soulatthedale said:

Can just imagine walking round the ,=mean streets of LA singing it at the top of your voice in your best Owdham accent!

🤣🤣🤣 funny really, but all the kids over there said I sounded weird, but when we came home everybody here said I had a yank accent. 

Back then, in '69, the streets weren't really all that mean. We lived in Hawthorne, a very white, very middle/upper working class neighbourhood. Nowadays it's worse than 1982 Beirut apparently. All NWA and people getting caps popped in their asses. Or something like that! Bit like Wythenshawe actually. 😂

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 11/01/2019 at 22:25, Steve S 60 said:

This one makes me smile, especially when performed on a German pop show.  Don't think the audience quite know what to think of Sparks keyboard player.....

Beat me to it !    The GREATEST and most perfect example of quality popular music.  a masterpiece of writing and arrangement 

soul source url
Posted

Some wicked tunes 'ere, Mary Hopkins, The Seekers, they were amazing and many of my earliest memories of being a small child.

One of the first records to really have an impact on me was this one: 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

When I started collecting records of my own one of the very first 45's I bought was this,I think I was around 10 years old when it was released.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

I got given a 7inch copy of this when it came out, I still have it, understand the 7inch is quite rare compared to the 12inch, still good of course, Junior Murvin. 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Enjoyed this thread, a real selection so far

This one makes me smile:-

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

Here is one that i nearly pissed my pants with when John Peel dropped on his show (Bless Him) and   he continued to push it.....Wonderful Stuff !

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Here is one that i nearly pissed my pants with when John Peel dropped on his show (Bless Him) and   he continued to push it.....Wonderful Stuff !

Superb piss take that - love the scarves

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Guest profile photo
Posted

"Maggie May" by Rod Stewart is one of the best pop songs ever!

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Keep on Running

Shakin' all over

Cathy's clown

Alone again naturally

My Generation

You really got me

Stuck in the middle

...........................   etc etc

All wonderful records, in their own right

soul source url
Posted
10 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Probably epitomises the very best of Pop music in the early seventies, but a long way behind one or two other efforts from The Faces.

"Handbags and Gladrags" anyone?

(And yeah, before anyone pipes up, I KNOW THAT CHRIS FARLOWE DID THE BLOODY ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!).

soul source url
Posted

Loved this Stax Classic spin Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft from a young age when my Mum bought the single new, Can You Dig It! :thumbsup: :hatsoff2:

11107743_10205769774897124_8054876023776196604_n.jpg

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Some pop (or "pop-soul" or "disco" or "soft-rock") songs that every time I heard it I have a "funny temporal regression or simply a good feeling" (having a clear relation with the lyrics or not):

- Beatles "Yellow Submarine"

- Los Bravos "Black Is Black"

- Elthon John & Kekee Dee "Don't Breack My Heart"

- Blue Swede "Hooked On A Feeling" (I remember when my sons seeing the DVD of "Shrek" animation picture, is included in the OST and "revived" it, so funny with "Pinocho" as the DJ!!! 😂)

- LeRoy Pullin "I'm A Nut"

- Lapie Lee "Little Arrows"

- Wings "Good Night Tonight"

- Doobie Brothers "What A Fool Believes"

- Kim Carnes "Betty davi's Eyes"

soul source url
Posted

as a very young lad I liked this pop record, can't explain it really, wife hates it for some reason

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
45 minutes ago, shufflin said:

as a very young lad I liked this pop record, can't explain it really, wife hates it for some reason

I wrote a letter to Black Echoes about this record, playing hell that they reviewed it!

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)

They don't come any poppier than Cliff going on his Summer holidays on that red double decker bus, and yes corny as it is it does make me smile,because I associate the t rack with the day out on the Charabanc we took as kids.

Edited by Steve C
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Oh the memories...  Dave & Ansel Collins - Double Barrel  :)  :hatsoff2: 

• Up vote 5

soul source url
Posted

Proctol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale. Always brings back memories of the summer of 1967

The Kinks - Waterloo sunset

Joe Cocker - With a Little help

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, soulatthedale said:

I wrote a letter to Black Echoes about this record, playing hell that they reviewed it!

what was the gist of the review ??

soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, shufflin said:

what was the gist of the review ??

Cant remember, but i said Nelly The Elephant had as much right to be in Black Echoes!

soul source url
Posted
36 minutes ago, britishbarry said:

Joe Cocker - With a Little help

THAT ,  is a masterpiece.     its also a lesson in how to do a cover version properly

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd & The Pirates

Sloop John B - The Beach Boys

Catch Us If You Can - Dave Clarke 5

Mony Mony - Tommy James & The Shondells

soul source url
Posted (edited)

An 'Outrigger' favorite.. for all the kids that were too young to go Sunday nights 🙂  forever etched in my heart!!  Skol beer, the Rotunda, Skin heads in the middle bar, turn ups, flat tops, 50 Specials, the 57 Bus and bleached hair!! 🙂

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

always liked this theme tune... 🙂

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Guest Spain pete profile photo
Posted
1 hour ago, Bruv said:

Oh the memories...  Dave & Ansel Collins - Double Barrel  :)  :hatsoff2: 

Don't forget monkey spanner  ?

soul source url
Posted

Who can hear this and do not feel happy…? (I'm a big Monty Python fan!)

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

mine got to be rock you baby so many great memories watching the ladies dancing to this 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
22 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Superb piss take that - love the scarves

I've just realised that it's also the guy who played Tony Angelino in Only Fools And Horses as the front man.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Love this version of 'Hurts So Good' and remember buying it in a second hand shop that had hundreds of 45s for sale at 25 or 50p each, depending on the popularity of the tune.

Every Saturday morning our mum would give me and my kid brother a quid each in pocket money and we'd go racing headlong up to the store to buy the records..happy days indeed!

I never knew about Millie Jackson's recording of the track until many years later but this will always be the version that does it for me, personally.    

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

"Every Saturday morning our mum would give me and my kid brother a quid each in pocket money" These rich buggers get everywhere !  :) 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TattooDave said:

I've just realised that it's also the guy who played Tony Angelino in Only Fools And Horses as the front man.

Well Spoted Dave, I'm a big Only Fools And Horses Fan myself and had not made the connection although the faces in the group were familiar, I wonder if any of the others were acting in sit coms at the time, very interesting...........

More interesting info, The HeeBeeGeeBees line up were Angus Deayton, Michael Fenton Stevens and Phillip Pope as respectively, Garry Norris and Dobbin, the Cribs Brothers

Edited by RICK SCOTT
spelling error and more information
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, IanP said:

THAT ,  is a masterpiece.     its also a lesson in how to do a cover version properly

Talking of great cover versions and gorgeous in every way.  

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Wonderful vocals on the above  ^^^^^

soul source url
Posted

Two Summer Songs from the late 1970's that use to make me smile in my Teens :) :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Chris Farlowe - Out of Time

Tommy James - Mony Mony

Sam The Sham - Wooly Bully

Spencer Davis - Keep on Running & Gimme Some Lovin

Dave & Ansell Collins - Double Barrel

Pioneers - Long Shot Kick de Bucket

A few of my guilty pleasures from my teenage years lol 😜

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
30 minutes ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Chris Farlowe - Out of Time

Tommy James - Mony Mony

Sam The Sham - Wooly Bully

Spencer Davis - Keep on Running & Gimme Some Lovin

Dave & Ansell Collins - Double Barrel

Pioneers - Long Shot Kick de Bucket

A few of my guilty pleasures from my teenage years lol 😜

Think you missed out Prince Buster-"Al Capone" 🙂 

Just don't call me Scarface, OK? Lol 🙂 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Remember having a smile as wide as a Cheshire Cat when I heard this wonderful song from Bob & Marcia come on over the years..... :yes:  :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Some great posts! Maisonnettes, what a record, so good that it's hard to believe that's it's Lol's own work and not a Motown cover! (I've met Lol Mason, he was Donald Sinden's boy you know! Remember 'Two's Company with Elaine Stritch?) The master was bought along with the studio that recorded it, the new owner decided to listen to all the masters in the cellar before binning them, genius, he decided that HA had hit written all over it! The girls on TOTP weren't the real backing singers, they were teen models!

Alessi Brothers, just a WOW factor record, so, so good! 

Those two girls Baccara...OMG!

Have to bring the whole punk issue into the thread, and as a Post-punk and original Goth myself had a few lined up but after careful consideration I'm going first with this for Punk, chose this over The Jam 'Strange Town' and Stranglers 'Peaches', 'Strange Town' and 'No more heroes/Peaches' medley were the first songs I ever performed in public, back in the days when I used to get on the Mic as well as play bass so left them out in favour of this early exposure to the late Stuart Adamson, prior to his huge success with Big Country, one of the very best Punk records! 

And, I promise this'll be the only Goth one! Should really have been Bauhaus 'Bela Lugosi's dead' but, had to go with this sublime slice as it's such a great dancer, and holds so many memories of touring on the Polytechnic circuit with my own band! 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Saw this band at Reading Festival 1977, and after being posted to Germany I saw them in Osnabruck, Hamburg and Berlin, surprisingly brilliant live before Man Ure came along and fudged it all up.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
15 hours ago, Joey said:

Think you missed out Prince Buster-"Al Capone" 🙂 

Just don't call me Scarface, OK? Lol 🙂 

Prince Buster's one of my favourites Joey - could have added shed loads more, but I was doing my best to keep it brief & stick with the pop stuff lol xx 😜

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Prince Buster's one of my favourites Joey - could have added shed loads more, but I was doing my best to keep it brief & stick with the pop stuff lol xx 😜

If we're sticking to the Pop stuff, here's another that would have been known and loved by many people of a certain age, roundabout 1970-71.

Memories of Royton Youth Club for me!

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Then There Was This By GOMPIE! Oh the things that made us Laugh, This was one i could just resist singing out loud, Oh and by the way Apologies to anyone on here that may be called to Alice! 😋

soul source url
Posted
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:15, RICK SCOTT said:

Well Spoted Dave, I'm a big Only Fools And Horses Fan myself and had not made the connection although the faces in the group were familiar, I wonder if any of the others were acting in sit coms at the time, very interesting...........

More interesting info, The HeeBeeGeeBees line up were Angus Deayton, Michael Fenton Stevens and Phillip Pope as respectively, Garry Norris and Dobbin, the Cribs Brothers

Michael Fenton Stevens has done lots since 1980, however no major rolls, but did have a number 1 single with The Chicken Song in 1984.  Deayton of course does stuff that he shouldn't, and Philip Pope seems to write more theme tunes than act.  I guess topping Tony Angelino would be very difficult, the OFAH writing was top notch.

soul source url
Posted

johnnyskin.thumb.jpg.ca566bc312ab50c0b76a4a1195e36222.jpg

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

This was a bomb in Spain in 1977 - 78 in the air-waves and the dance clubs. No matter if is pop, funk, disco…high energy music that reminds me my teens, the german group Supermax:

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Another bombastic one, more discoffied than the one by Supermax, also european disco production, Belle Époque… what energetic one that also reminds me my high school days and the dance party in Saint Thomas (here in Spain "the party of the students"):

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

My Mum took me to see this lot when I was a kid I think they were on in Weston Super Mare  couldnt hear them because of the screaming .

2015TheBeatles_1965_Getty74253722170315-1.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Always had a soft spot for the casuals ‘jessamine” I don’t know how to post the video up off you tube so if someone can I’d be muchly grateful, somebody has put up the version with the strings etc in the background which is ( their) original version. 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Guest profile photo