Rick Scott profile photo

Pop songs from your youth that make you smile

Freebasing Rick Scott

Posted
19 minutes ago, Colnago said:

Always had a soft spot for the casuals ‘jessamine” I don’t know how to post the video up off you tube so if someone can I’d be muchly grateful, somebody has put up the version with the strings etc in the background which is ( their) original version. 

• Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted
27 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Thanks very much Dave ! 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Have to bring the whole punk issue into the thread, and as a Post-punk and original Goth myself had a few lined up but after careful consideration I'm going first with this for Punk, chose this over The Jam 'Strange Town' and Stranglers 'Peaches', 'Strange Town' and 'No more heroes/Peaches' medley were the first songs I ever performed in public, back in the days when I used to get on the Mic as well as play bass so left them out in favour of this early exposure to the late Stuart Adamson, prior to his huge success with Big Country, one of the very best Punk records!

Into The Valley one of the most uplifting punk songs of all time, with some of the most indecipherable lyrics ever. Do you remember the advert with the misheard lyrics? "Barman and soda, juicy men enbalmed her" Used to LOVE that so much. 

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Found it! 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Hot Chocolate did the original, so relevant to soul pop, but this version nailed it - kinda my generation but I was still very much into soul at the time

soul source url
Posted

Eh? Shocker! More Sisters has appeared?

12 minutes ago, shufflin said:

Hot Chocolate did the original, so relevant to soul pop, but this version nailed it - kinda my generation but I was still very much into soul at the time

Same 'ere, at the time was rushing onto the motorway to allniters after supporting bands such as Sisters all over't north west and Yorkshire!  

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Colnago said:

Always had a soft spot for the casuals ‘jessamine” I don’t know how to post the video up off you tube so if someone can I’d be muchly grateful, somebody has put up the version with the strings etc in the background which is ( their) original version. 

I don't knows the reason why but your mention to the mellow "Jessamine" automatically reminded me in another pop one that was another smash hit with good remembrances for me, Classic IV's "Stormy" (perhaps the reason is that both songs are from 1968):

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

This has always stayed with me:

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Lyn Anderson and Manhatten Transfer, both wonderful!

Nice insight into other areas of our eclectic tastes, brilliant!

Quick reminder in case some folks haven't seen it yet.

soul source url
Posted

The song that sums up my youth is Pay To Cum by Bad Brains. Washington DC's first all black hardcore band, they always did a bit of Reggae too and went much more in that direction later on. The singer HR had so much energy. I still remember the first time I heard their cassette and the song Sailin' On - I just couldn't believe anyone could play that fast; this is not much slower!

soul source url
Posted

The Fortunes - Storm In A Teacup  Many times I have thought of this song when people moan about the bloody weather, I just carried on smiling :) :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

I've not seen anyone mention Leonard Cohen - his lyrics might be depressing, but I just love his voice! Hallelujah brings me out in goosebumps - haven't a clue how to post the video on here though.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Oh go on then,  not a smile (sic) so much as a 'pained' grin for Tommy Roe and 'Dizzy'

soul source url
Posted

Came across this today had to share because as this thread says "Makes You Smile" From 1985 The Funny Billy Crystal

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
19 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Lyn Anderson and Manhatten Transfer, both wonderful!

Nice insight into other areas of our eclectic tastes, brilliant!

Quick reminder in case some folks haven't seen it yet.

Whoops. Sorry

soul source url
Posted

Surprised no ones mentioned this, youth club biggie!

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
48 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

Surprised no ones mentioned this, youth club biggie!

I still play this a lot. Just so upbeat.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

In the early sixties just loved the Beatles and their early records still make me smile bring back great memories

soul source url
Posted

Too young to appreciate Roxy Music's early output when originally released, but these songs were around for most of the '70's and remain timeless classics today, and to keep with the theme, put a smile on your face.  Virginia Plain, Love Is The Drug, and this one, Do The Strand....

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
17 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Came across this today had to share because as this thread says "Makes You Smile" From 1985 The Funny Billy Crystal

Never realised it was THE Billy Crystal Rick, I have this on one of those Disco Review albums, I'm probably wrong but I'm sure Robbie Vincent played this on one of his shows but that may be a memory/age thing. I'll have to check out the mix on the album as I'm sure there's not so much talking on mine.

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Never realised it was THE Billy Crystal Rick, I have this on one of those Disco Review albums, I'm probably wrong but I'm sure Robbie Vincent played this on one of his shows but that may be a memory/age thing. I'll have to check out the mix on the album as I'm sure there's not so much talking on mine.

I Think you are correct on Robbie Vincent as that is how i picked up on it, i didn't like everything he played but he did play some quality tunes, particular some very nice album tracks. and yes there is a better version that Robbie played which i bought at the time but could not see that on youtube but i am sure it will be up there somewhere.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I've always had a soft spot for this track .

I saw Joe Jackson play live one time some years ago and he was great,surprisingly good in fact.

My missus is the ultimate 80s girl by the way and she's told me I.must post this track which is her all time favourite song.

This record is from the same year,(released in 1982) and it literally changed my life overnight when I first heard it on the radio as a teenager.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Sticking with the early years thread 

Walking Back To Happiness - Susan Maughan

Downtown - Petula Clark (the best British pop single ever)

Anything by Dusty

Mony Mony - Tony James 

Up Around The Bend/Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival

After that soul kicked in fully and I never looked back

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Punk before it was invented (Swearing content).....

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Co-Co - The Sweet

You’re my everything - Lee Garrett

Moviestar - Harpo

D.I.S.C.O. - Ottowan 

These still make me smile now, must be the uplifting key changes that do it for me.

Edited by Soul16
Spelling

soul source url
Posted

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile  :) :)  :)  :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

In 1980 I was aged 17 years-old and this years and the next 4-5 years there was some Pop music and some "Soft Rock / Pop" ones that were constantly on the air-waves, so when I re-heard it again I feel a good sensation or a great smile, as this one by Golpes bajos (attention to the bass line), "malls tempos para la lírica" ("bad Times For The Lyricism"):

soul source url
Posted

Another track from this same period that make me smile (1980 - 1985), Brian Ferry:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

An d there was also another musician I likes a lot since his first stuff, "Tubular Bells", "Ommadawn", etc., my absolute favorite musician from the "Symphonic Rock" field (I likes also Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, spanish bag-pipe player Carlos Núñez)… "Five Miles Out" album first deceived me because I found it some too much "pop" and "techno" but finally I can't resist the specially the intro and the vocoder vocals in the title-album track (the DJ's in the macro-discotheque where I worked as barman in my student years played It for to dance and also his older track "Guilty", the live version from his album "Exposed")

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

ok as often happens this topic is now  going off down many roads all a bit removed from the original thrust

no real place for long running topics like this on here,  so as it's had  a few days in the sun will be looking at closing this shortly

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

soul source url
Posted
45 minutes ago, mike said:

ok as often happens this topic is now  going off down many roads all a bit removed from the original thrust

no real place for long running topics like this on here,  so as it's had  a few days in the sun will be looking at closing this shortly

cheers

mike

Don't see why you have to do that, most posts are fairly close to the original idea and all very enjoyable

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
26 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Don't see why you have to do that, most posts are fairly close to the original idea and all very enjoyable

nah disagree

we are starting to get repeat posts by the same members of all sorts/genres of pop music

end of day we are not set up to offer long running msm pop music topics

as said below, it's had a few days running, people seemed to have enjoyed it

it's starting to tail off, so I'd say time to close

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

soul source url
Guest profile photo