Los Angeles Rarity

Get your listening gear around this major rarity that has resided in select company on only a few of the top DJs play lists since the 90’s!  

E. (Eddie) Williams – Trade my soul with the devil – Jaa Dee 505 M- OFFERS

Mr Manship separates out the most collectible 45s on the scene in his Million Dollars of Rare Soul compilation using estimations of value, rarity and quality, which we know don’t always come in equal measure.  We are normally forced to forsake one for another just get anywhere near securing an impossibly hard to find 45 let alone owning one.  John’s foray into cataloguing Volume 1 with his then 37 years of experience of soul music supported by some of the world’s top DJs and Collectors prized possessions excluded this stunner as either an unknown, trade secret or completely neglected.  Maybe Volume 2!

Those in the know will appreciate that this was released prior to Eddies second stab of “Trade my soul” on Ruth Etta Stratchborneo's “Tide” label under the name Jimmie Williams (James Eddie Williams).  This is the pure soul vocal release with the Tide version not coming anywhere near.  Copyright records clearly date the Tide release as 15 May 67, whilst the Jaa Dee delta number 62610 dates it July or August 1966.  Ruth is of course Ruth Christie of “Mystery of a miracle” fame.

The Jaa Dee label credits the producer Joe Massengale, a black Disc Jockey, promoter and successful businessman in Los Angeles at the time, he was also the artist on the labels first release.  It appears to be a short-lived label, but one that may have given one Bobby Williams a run out.  Joe who is pictured on the back of a Jaa Dee LP by the Figueroa A Capella Chorus may have been the owner or part owner of this small but interesting Hollywood label. 

Since the original post I’ve learnt that George Sharp was the first to play this wonderful track covered up for a year at Stafford’s Top of the World before he sold it to Roger Banks who played it exclusively before John sold the 2nd known copy at the time (not this one) to the Willingham’s. 

It has remained a stone wall rarity, the likes of which sets aside DJ’s and collectors from the norm, and in Manny’s own words “the over used rarest of the rare tag just pales into insignificance, when a validated unicorn-rare 45 of this calibre surfaces”.  Maybe there will be a space for it in Million Dollars of Rare Soul Volume 2, but for now not only are all 3 of the measures “value, rarity and quality” intact, there’s a 4th to add, condition, condition, condition!

Its Near Mint but described as Mint Minus to be conservative.  Clean full deep luster on vinyl that plays like a dream.  Labels clean and blemish free.

Minimum offer is £3000, closing 9pm on Monday 28th January 2019!

PayPal as friends or add 4% for your re-assurance, or bank transfer please.  Happy to spread if required.

Cheers, Lee

399870596_JaaDee505.jpg.357fc08c78d14fa29653cb95451d67b5.jpg 356396072_JaaDee505b.jpg.88043409975dcb5ec1d3a62c881ffcd9.jpg E. Williams - Trade my soul to the devil.mp3

1342789811_JaaDee5053.jpg.69bdb3187b0d5d2afe4ea3aa4cf02853.jpg 1097592610_JaaDee5052.jpg.10560632fee6890fee8abdd5f199673f.jpg 1453516329_JaaDee5051.jpg.006531bbf6270060286acdaa5336a988.jpg

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
On 13/01/2019 at 16:56, SoulfulSolutions said:

Get your listening gear around this major rarity that has resided in select company on only a few of the top DJs play lists since the 90’s!  

E. (Eddie) Williams – Trade my soul with the devil – Jaa Dee 505 M- OFFERS

Mr Manship separates out the most collectible 45s on the scene in his Million Dollars of Rare Soul compilation using estimations of value, rarity and quality, which we know don’t always come in equal measure.  We are normally forced to forsake one for another just get anywhere near securing an impossibly hard to find 45 let alone owning one.  John’s foray into cataloguing Volume 1 with his then 37 years of experience of soul music supported by some of the world’s top DJs and Collectors prized possessions excluded this stunner as either an unknown, trade secret or completely neglected.  Maybe Volume 2!

Those in the know will appreciate that this was released prior to Eddies second stab of “Trade my soul” on Ruth Etta Stratchborneo's “Tide” label under the name Jimmie Williams (James Eddie Williams).  This is the pure soul vocal release with the Tide version not coming anywhere near.  Copyright records clearly date the Tide release as 15 May 67, whilst the Jaa Dee delta number 62610 dates it July or August 1966.  Ruth is of course Ruth Christie of “Mystery of a miracle” fame.

The Jaa Dee label credits the producer Joe Massengale, a black Disc Jockey, promoter and successful businessman in Los Angeles at the time, he was also the artist on the labels first release.  It appears to be a short-lived label, but one that may have given one Bobby Williams a run out.  Joe who is pictured on the back of a Jaa Dee LP by the Figueroa A Capella Chorus may have been the owner or part owner of this small but interesting Hollywood label. 

Since the original post I’ve learnt that George Sharp was the first to play this wonderful track covered up for a year at Stafford’s Top of the World before he sold it to Roger Banks who played it exclusively before John sold the 2nd known copy at the time (not this one) to the Willingham’s. 

It has remained a stone wall rarity, the likes of which sets aside DJ’s and collectors from the norm, and in Manny’s own words “the over used rarest of the rare tag just pales into insignificance, when a validated unicorn-rare 45 of this calibre surfaces”.  Maybe there will be a space for it in Million Dollars of Rare Soul Volume 2, but for now not only are all 3 of the measures “value, rarity and quality” intact, there’s a 4th to add, condition, condition, condition!

Its Near Mint but described as Mint Minus to be conservative.  Clean full deep luster on vinyl that plays like a dream.  Labels clean and blemish free.

Minimum offer is £3000, closing 9pm on Monday 28th January 2019!

PayPal as friends or add 4% for your re-assurance, or bank transfer please.  Happy to spread if required.

Cheers, Lee

399870596_JaaDee505.jpg.357fc08c78d14fa29653cb95451d67b5.jpg 356396072_JaaDee505b.jpg.88043409975dcb5ec1d3a62c881ffcd9.jpg E. Williams - Trade my soul to the devil.mp3

1342789811_JaaDee5053.jpg.69bdb3187b0d5d2afe4ea3aa4cf02853.jpg 1097592610_JaaDee5052.jpg.10560632fee6890fee8abdd5f199673f.jpg 1453516329_JaaDee5051.jpg.006531bbf6270060286acdaa5336a988.jpg

I don't wish to hi-jack this wonderful thread but I don't suppose this Eddie Willaims on Dore was the same guy ?

Eddie.jpg

Social source share

I don't wish to hi-jack this wonderful thread but I don't suppose this Eddie Willaims on Dore was the same guy ?

this is the sales forum

please do not comment on sales posts in such a manner as it does affect other members sales/wants etc

use the box forum instead for comments

• Up vote 1
Social source share