Which is the second best version of Baby I’m For Real?

Kesalocasoul

Having unearthed an almost forgotten version by the Ballads, it got me wondering who has provided us with the second best performance of Baby I’m For Real.

My favourite Motown song, the Originals version is unsurpassable.  The simplicity of the group’s delivery and the accompaniment make it all seem so effortlessly soulful and still sends chills down my spine almost fifty years after first hearing it.

As well as the Ballads, I have just listened to Esther Phillips, Bohannon (featuring Carolyn Crawford), Sherrick, After7, 21st Creation, Pat Lewis (featuring Duane Parham), Will Downing with Phil Perry, the Originals recut featuring Hank Dixon, and even Michael McDonald and one Rocky Padilla (offering a slight Latino twist), but my favourite is Matt Covington, followed closely by Bobby Taylor (medley with the Bells).  Credit to them all as they all show great respect to the original and there is not a bad version amongst them (the quality of Marvin and Anna Gaye’s song?); just some which are less good than others. 

Staying within the soul genre, are there other versions and do others have a preference, although I realise that there is a strong argument for just playing the Originals over and over?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!