Chapells - were they a Chicago group?

Robbk

Herb Kent played this song a lot, and it sounds like a Chicago recording.  Does anyone know if The Chappells were a local, Chicago group?  I lived on Chappel Avenue near 87th St. in South Chicago, during the 1960s.  If so, maybe the group members lived on that street (adding an "L" to the end of the name).  Ray Patterson was their producer.  I seem to remember his name.  Did he work out of The Windy City?  But, I don't recognise Bedford as a Chicago label (Bedford, Massachusetts?), and the label font and label design don't look like late '60s Chicago style. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, the yank said:

The group was based out of Baltimore.

Here's another 45 from the group - 

I knew about this Baltimore group.  They are clearly a group with a male lead, and sound like all members are male.  They don't sound, AT ALL, like The Bedford Chappells, who clearly sound like an all female group.  I really doubt that these 2 groups have anything at all to do with each other.

Social source share

Thanks!  I see that they ARE the same group, having sung the 2 Double Check cuts.  The 3 ladies dominated the sound on "You're Acting Kind of Strange", so as to sound like an all-female group.  The  2 men's voices are strong on their Double Check cuts.

Social source share

the lp above was a limited subscription release  from Numero Group at first yep?

full background on group and all via

https://www.numerogroup.com/products/the-chapells-are-you-ready

also lp avail in full via music streaming service such as

https://play.google.com/music/listen#/album/Bny67qeg5ffafxfbq3owcov3skq/The+Chapells/Are+You+Ready+for+The+Chapells%3F

Social source share

• 7 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!