Pilsley - A Majestic Night

Pilsley's got soul.......a venue full of it, well worth two hours on the coach from Manchester, i was made really welcome by hosts Sharron and Chris Cooper, nice meal at their house and they even let me watch the X - Factor final, well most of it.

A short trip from their house and i mean short and we entered this hidden gem of a venue, nice compact reasonable size room, seperate bar area at the front of the building, snooker table, large TV screen so i managed to catch bit's of the X - Factor during one or two visits to the bar, the room filled pretty quickly and soon the floor filled and remained so for most of the night, good to meet Barry Cooper Chris's brother and co promoter of the event which has now been running for approx four years.

The sound system at gigs for me is of paramount importance and this one was perfect, nice crisp clear and clean sound, not too loud or distorted simply set just right, good set's from Barry and Chris everything for The Tempests - Someday, Kenny Carlton - Lost And Found, The Construction - Hey Little Way Out Girl kept the floor busy.

I hit the floor running at 11pm for a 90 minute set which seemed to hit the spot, very much a party atmosphere so mixed it up but stayed with the classic type oldies (see playlist) always a joy DJ'ing in this area and nice to see friendly happy faces having it big style, those Attic Boy's from Mansfield were out in full force and boy can they party, big shout to Dean for his hospitality, good breakfast mate, special thanks to Barry, Chris and Sharron for inviting me down to DJ, sorry if i played it a little safe in places but it seemed the right flava of tunes for the night which was first class.

Reasonable priced bar, decent quick service from polite staff, good to see the likes of John May and John Kingham from Chesterfield not seen him in ages so it was nice to catch up, all in all Pilsley was a good well run. well promoted Soul night, good strong support from far and wide and i look forward to going back sometime very soon. Value for money at three quid to get in, runs from 8pm through to 1.30am with a late bar, nice size dance floor, even a nice touch of snacks and crisps etc. on each table, top night all round......I'll be back. Tuneage below.......... Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mickie Champion - What Good Am I (Without You) - Musette

The Showmen - "Our Love Will Grow" - Swan DJ

Dena Barnes - If You Ever Walk Out Of My Life - Inferno DJ

The O'Jays - Hold On - Minit

Al Wilson - Help Me - Wand DJ

Rose Battiste - I Miss My Baby - Revilot DJ

The Soul Twins - Give The Man A Chance - Karen DJ

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved - Scepter

The Falcons - Good Good Feeling - Big Wheel

John Bowie - You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing (Baby) - Merben

Billy Prophit - What Can I Do? - Sue DJ

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You - Mandingo

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke

Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB

The Volumes - That Same Old Feeling - Impact DJ

Sam Williams - Love Slipped Through My Fingers - Tower DJ

Melvin Davis - Find A Quiet Place (And Be Lonely) - Wheel City

Willie Hutch - Love Runs Out - Dunhill DJ - Panic over it was a speck of dust in the groove...close call thought it was buggered when it stuck...lol

The Four Perfections - I;m Not Strong Enough - Party Time

The Peoples Choice - Savin' My Lovin' For You - Palmer DJ

Ann Sexton - "You've Been Gone Too Long" - Seventy Seven

Pat And The Blenders - "Just Because" - Fast Eddie

Sam Dees - Lonley For You Baby - SSS International

The Constellations - I Don't Know About You - Gemini Star

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Up Look

The Dynamics - Yes I Love You Baby - Top Ten

The Majestics - (I Love Her So Much) It Hurts Me - Linda DJ

Jimmy Burns - I Really Love You - Erica

Tommy Navarro - I Cried My Life Away - De Jac

George Kirby - What Can I Do - Cadet

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Replies 28
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Pilsley's got soul.......a venue full of it, well worth two hours on the coach from Manchester, i was made really welcome by hosts Sharron and Chris Cooper, nice meal at their house and they even let me watch the X - Factor final, well most of it.

A short trip from their house and i mean short and we entered this hidden gem of a venue, nice compact reasonable size room, seperate bar area at the front of the building, snooker table, large TV screen so i managed to catch bit's of the X - Factor during one or two visits to the bar, the room filled pretty quickly and soon the floor filled and remained so for most of the night, good to meet Barry Cooper Chris's brother and co promoter of the event which has now been running for approx four years.

The sound system at gigs for me is of paramount importance and this one was perfect, nice crisp clear and clean sound, not too loud or distorted simply set just right, good set's from Barry and Chris everything for The Tempests - Someday, Kenny Carlton - Lost And Found, The Construction - Hey Little Way Out Girl kept the floor busy.

I hit the floor running at 11pm for a 90 minute set which seemed to hit the spot, very much a party atmosphere so mixed it up but stayed with the classic type oldies (see playlist) always a joy DJ'ing in this area and nice to see friendly happy faces having it big style, those Attic Boy's from Mansfield were out in full force and boy can they party, big shout to Dean for his hospitality, good breakfast mate, special thanks to Barry, Chris and Sharron for inviting me down to DJ, sorry if i played it a little safe in places but it seemed the right flava of tunes for the night which was first class.

Reasonable priced bar, decent quick service from polite staff, good to see the likes of John May and John Kingham from Chesterfield not seen him in ages so it was nice to catch up, all in all Pilsley was a good well run. well promoted Soul night, good strong support from far and wide and i look forward to going back sometime very soon. Value for money at three quid to get in, runs from 8pm through to 1.30am with a late bar, nice size dance floor, even a nice touch of snacks and crisps etc. on each table, top night all round......I'll be back. Tuneage below.......... Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Willie Hutch - Love Runs Out - Dunhill DJ - Panic over it was a speck of dust in the groove...close call thought it was buggered when it stuck...lol

Thanks Mark, it really was a special night and it was good to see some new faces along with the old (Take that which ever way you wish :) !!) with all there seeming to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Must agree those Attic lads do come out with the intention of enjoying themseves and surely thats what this scene should be about (Must say though I can't recall seeing Rarestags ~ Was he not out with you fella's or was my eyesight failing yet again :thumbsup: ) Anyway, from our early local DJ through to the big fella himself last night was a truly memorable one with a great party atmosphere.

It was a pleasure to spend some time with you Mark prior to the event and I'm pleased that Dean was able to accomodate you (Pictures of breakfast to Follow??) Sorry we weren't able to extend the evening down at Deans but after clearing up etc. we were ready for horlicks and snuggling up with the hot water bottle. (Sad old pair or what :thumbsup: ) Anyway, look forward to seeing you again Mark and likewise Attic lads (On tour!!)

Next month looks set to be a good un with John Poole guesting... More details to follow

Sharon

Edited by bridget

What a pathetic excuse for a breakfast :thumbsup:

Ouch my head hurts :thumbsup:

Great night :)

Well Steve i was done in by 4am mate so i left the two boxes open on the table and left you to it, i understand you went through to 5am...lol and how dare you have a pop at Dean's breakfast, hit the spot mate and set me up for the journey home.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well Steve i was done in by 4am mate so i left the two boxes open on the table and left you to it, i understand you went through to 5am...lol and how dare you have a pop at Dean's breakfast, hit the spot mate and set me up for the journey home.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

sorry i was such a lightweight Mark,had to leave about 2.30 am :thumbsup: ,but if i'd known you were leavin the 200 count while you got your beauty sleep.......

I'm going to give Dean's breakfast 9/10 for presentation, obviously out to impress, not just slung onto the plate :)

Nice to meet John Kingan + missus,and John May with his pollonium 210 infected cabbage :D

GREAT NITE,GREAT SOUNDS AND PEOPLE, A PAT ON THE BACK TO ALL CONCERNED :thumbsup:

Mark

It was great to meet you last night at Pilsley ( I was the first DJ on last night and set you up for your "gags" later on remember). It was another fantastic night at Pilsley and thanks must go to Chris, Barry Bridget and Sharon for running such a smashing little venue.

Andy

post-2465-1166389750_thumb.jpg

Sorry Andy, how so very rude of me to not mention your sterling efforts warming the gig up, i reckon there were one or two gremlins in the works last night, what with you switching one of the decks off and the microphone doing Norman Collier impressions through my spot, nice to meet you mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks Mark, it really was a special night and it was good to see some new faces along with the old (Take that which ever way you wish :) !!) with all there seeming to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Must agree those Attic lads do come out with the intention of enjoying themseves and surely thats what this scene should be about (Must say though I can't recall seeing Rarestags ~ Was he not out with you fella's or was my eyesight failing yet again :thumbsup: ) Anyway, from our early local DJ through to the big fella himself last night was a truly memorable one with a great party atmosphere.

It was a pleasure to spend some time with you Mark prior to the event and I'm pleased that Dean was able to accomodate you (Pictures of breakfast to Follow??) Sorry we weren't able to extend the evening down at Deans but after clearing up etc. we were ready for horlicks and snuggling up with the hot water bottle. (Sad old pair or what :thumbsup: ) Anyway, look forward to seeing you again Mark and likewise Attic lads (On tour!!)

Next month looks set to be a good un with John Poole guesting... More details to follow

Sharon

Big thanks to Big Daddy, read the night perfectly and produced quality northern soul for a very hungry crowd. Big Daddy is a gentleman and it was a pleasure to host him at both our home and the gig last night.

Despite having rarer tunes with him on the night he produced quality tunes that fitted the bill perfectly. The attic boys got the benefit of the rarer tunes later that night.

Big thanks to Andy (ronjon) for his early spot and a big thanks to all who have supported us this year, we wish you all a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Chris

Play list to follow

Edited by bridget

Big thanks to Big Daddy, read the night perfectly and produced quality northern soul for a very hungry crowd. Big Daddy is a gentleman and it was a pleasure to host him at both our home and the gig last night.

Despite having rarer tunes with him on the night he produced quality tunes that fitted the bill perfectly. The attic boys got the benefit of the rarer tunes later that night.

Big thanks to Andy (ronjon) for his early spot and a big thanks to all who have supported us this year, we wish you all a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Chris

Play list to follow

here we go

Manhattans All I Need Is Your Love Carnival

S. B. Six Check Yourself Atlantic

Robert Parker Happy Feet Nola

T. J. Williams baby I Need You Josie

Spinners I'll be around Atlantic

Ambassadors Good Love Gone Bad Atlantic

Charades Key to my happines MGM

Billy Thompson Black Eyed Girl Wand

Ascots few feet from the gutter Playboy

Shep fool to fool TNT

Singing Swinging Counts Along the way Label

Prophets Talk don't bother me Delphi

Frankie & Classicals What shall I do Calla

Kenny Carlton Lost and found Blue Rock

Marvellos Somethings Burnin Loma

Temptations Love I can See Gordy

Sunday Ain't got no problems Alteen

Imaginations Strange neighbourhood Fraternity

Enchantments In love with your daughter Faro

Syng mcgowan That's what I want Hope

Flaming Emeralds Have Some Everybody Fee

Companions Be yourself general American

Arabians Take A Chance on me Lemans

Sister Sledge Love Don't go through Atco

Gloria Gaynor This love affair Polydor

Tempests Someday Smash Lp

Garland Green I Love You Uni LP

New game for Christmas, guess what the hell that black thing is on the plate, some say a tadpole, others an aliens brain, what do you think?? :):thumbsup::thumbsup::D:lol::D

Too late mate it's all gone...lol thanks for your kind words, hospitality and making me so so welcome, i felt the tunes selected by myself reflected the feel good factor of your wonderful venue, keep it up, you are decent top people....loved it.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-1166395328_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mark for coming to Pilsley thought it was a great night and really enjoyed your spot, as I told you last night especially when you played the four tracks " Like My Love For You" wonderful, hope that you will come back soon to Pilsley and pleased that you enjoyed yourself. ( not seen the photos of Santa on soul source yet)

Sooooo many people to say hello to but always good to see Andrew and Sharon, Andy and Sam, the Bentick crowd, Martin and Pam the Attic boys, also good to old friend John May and to have a chat regarding the music scene/policy and also to see "Al" Taylor and Jacqui - look forward to your spot in March, and of course to all who have supported us over what is now nearly five years.,

Like to add my special thanks to Chris and Sharon plus Pam for there hard work and dedication for running Pilsley Soul especially through this difficult year.

A Very Happy Christmas and a very successful New Year to all.

will post my playlist later

Barry Cooper

Edited by BBB

Thank you Mark for coming to Pilsley thought it was a great night and really enjoyed your spot, as I told you last night especially when you played the four tracks " Like My Love For You" wonderful, hope that you will come back soon to Pilsley and pleased that you enjoyed yourself. ( not seen the photos of Santa on soul source yet)

Sooooo many people to say hello to but always good to see Andrew and Sharon, Andy and Sam, the Bentick crowd, Martin and Pam the Attic boys, also good to old friend John May and to have a chat regarding the music scene/policy and also to see "Al" Taylor and Jacqui - look forward to your spot in March, and of course to all who have supported us over what is now nearly five years.,

Like to add my special thanks to Chris and Sharon plus Pam for there hard work and dedication for running Pilsley Soul especially through this difficult year.

A Very Happy Christmas and a very successful New Year to all.

will post my playlist later

Barry Cooper

Here we go

bit of a mixed bag and not not in order

Betty Lavette - Right Outta Time - Advanced promo copy

Delfonics - I Told You So - Philly Groove

The Players- Why Did I Lie - Minit

Bernard Williams - Focused On You - Harthon

5th Dimention - Train Keep On Moving - Liberty

Showstoppers - What Can A Man Do - Beacon

Del Capris - Hey Little Way Out Girl - Grapevine

Frank Popp - Hip Teens Don't Wear Blue Jeans - Blowup

Drizabone - Pressure - Island

Michael Wycroft - Looking Up To You - RCA

Harold Melvin - Prayin - Source

Chris Clark - Somethings Wrong - Unissued

Four Pros - Just Another Girl - Carla

Kim Weston - You Can Do It - Unissued

Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love - Stax

Sam and Dave - Soothe Me - Stax

The Tranells - Blessed With A Love - Flo Jo Records

Tymes - What Would I do - MGM

Robert John - Raindrops Love and Sunshine - A&M

Tyronne Barkley - Man Of Value - Midsong

David Ruffin - Rode By The Place - Motown

Danny White - Keep My Woman Home - Atlas

Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart - Rictic

Millionaires - Never for Me - Philips

Barbara Randolph - I Got A Feeling - Motown

Johnnie Taylor - Blues in the Night - Stax LP

Isley Brothers - My Love is Your Love - MFP LP

Bobby Sheen - Something New to Do - Warner Bros

Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You - Motown

William Bell - Easy Comin' Out ( Hard Gonin In) - Mercury

The Sweet Three - Thats The Way It Is - Decca

New game for Christmas, guess what the hell that black thing is on the breakfast plate photo, some say a tadpole, others an aliens brain, what do you think?? :thumbsup::thumbsup::shades::yes::yes::D

I'll let you into a secret of Mark Bicknell's darker side Bridget - that black thing on the plate is vinyl - Big daddy eats bootlegs for breakfast, he insisted I serve him some up to dip in his egg! That's my IMPACT pressing - fried!

Another great night at Pilsley - but to be honest that's something we've started to take for granted - I've never had anything but a great night at your club. There's a feeling of being amongst genuine people, it's a really good crowd. What does it for me is that Chris and Barry both have the knack of that balance between reliable 'back-bone' northern soul spins and less frequently heard tracks. Neither shy away from playing what they want to play (which is differs between the brothers), it can be surprising but never disappointing. The last hour with them both on the decks generates a real party atmosphere to close out on. They obviously still both enjoy what they do - a lesson in generating a good atmosphere.

Mark's spot was more unusual for him but as Chris said it fitted right in there. I hope everyone appreciates the labels that those sounds were played on. I'll argue it makes a difference on this scene still. To see those labels on the decks, and know they are the genuine article, is a different experience. I aspire to own a fraction of those, and feel the sense of history through rarity generated by those records. I'm in a different place dancing to Willie Hutch on a Dunhill DJ (that's my holy grail) than on the British re-issue that I'd play it on. I should be ashamed; but still thrilled at same time that the big bloke can play it on that label whilst I attempt to move to it, and smile away, happy in the knowledge that this time it's real. The look on Steve's face at the sight of Sam Williams on Tower DJ. The envy in my black heart at the sight of that red Jimmy Burns.......don't try telling me it's only "what's in the groove" that counts. On this rare soul scene, it is, and always will be for me, the sense of originality and rarity of those labels. I'm sorry I can't always do that, I do try, but to be in that Pilsley hall on Saturday with a man who can was an experience and a half. Mark read the room well and played to the people, not to himself. A good judge and a great spot. Only down side is next time I see those played on boots or re-issues, it's going to hurt even more.

I'm sure all who came with us will see you again in Jan, with John Poole too, another top night in waiting.

Best wishes to all of you, hoope to see you soon, Dean.

By the way Mark, the Union of Santa Clause's is after you for that unlicenced spot of wish granting you did!

Hi Sharon

I wasnt there sat nite "rarestags"busy time of the year for me with office parties :thumbsup::shades: and the lads football xmas parties etc.Looks like i missed a good nite,ne mind i sure there will be another one along shortly.See you at the attic in the new year folks!. :wicked:

Thanks Mark, it really was a special night and it was good to see some new faces along with the old (Take that which ever way you wish
:wicked:
!!) with all there seeming to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Must agree those Attic lads do come out with the intention of enjoying themseves and surely thats what this scene should be about (Must say though I can't recall seeing Rarestags ~ Was he not out with you fella's or was my eyesight failing yet again
:shades:
) Anyway, from our early local DJ through to the big fella himself last night was a truly memorable one with a great party atmosphere.

It was a pleasure to spend some time with you Mark prior to the event and I'm pleased that Dean was able to accomodate you (Pictures of breakfast to Follow??) Sorry we weren't able to extend the evening down at Deans but after clearing up etc. we were ready for horlicks and snuggling up with the hot water bottle. (Sad old pair or what
:sleep3:
) Anyway, look forward to seeing you again Mark and likewise Attic lads (On tour!!)

Sharon

Hi Sharon

I wasnt there sat nite "rarestags"busy time of the year for me with office parties :thumbsup::shades: and the lads football xmas parties etc.Looks like i missed a good nite,ne mind i sure there will be another one along shortly.See you at the attic in the new year folks!. :wicked:

Didn't think my eyes were that bad. You did miss a good un but at this time of the year you can't be everywhere.. Have a good Christmas and see you around

another great night [especially when x factor finished] so lucky its our local soul night many thanks oh and great nibbles same next time?

Thanks rednose for your comments, I had a quick look outside when x factor was a on & a few checking on result.

but who are you.........

Barry Cooper