Love Won't Wear Off? Oh Yes It Will

Guest mrs norman maine

Guest mrs norman maine

Ever taken a sudden dislike to a record that you used to love? It's happened to me twice. Unfortunately in both cases, I was on the dancefloor at the time. The offending records were, in order of occurrence:

Lonzine Cannon "Quit while I'm ahead"

The Comeros "We're not too young"

On the first occasion I fronted it out, gritted my teeth & continued to dance for the longest minute of my life. On the second, I gave up & tottered off the floor, a broken woman. I didn't even pretend that there was something stuck on the sole of my shoe :)

I think with the Comeros, it was a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but with Lonzine, I honestly can't see what I ever saw (heard?) in the record in the first place.

Has it happened to you yet? (can I clumsily shoehorn any more song titles into this post.....) and if so:

- why: was it overplayed, associated with bad memories, etc?

- did you ever learn to love the record again?

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No, but it has happened the other way round!

Just didn't get The Dells "It's All Up To You" when I first heard it off my LP.

Someone I was talking to was Raving over it and I had to dig it out.

Thought it was dreadful... but, years later... the penny dropped... and now I just Love it!

Can't think of anything I've been turned off, after liking it initially.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I used to love (when i first got into northern soul) Don Gardner - my baby likes to boogaloo. but i heard it so many times it just got really tired.

tho i played it last night and go right into it...(burp)

The same thing happend with charles sheffiled - its your voodoo working.

I think it was the fact that at the time these seemed to pretty big records on the mod/northern scene in london about 5 years ago (when i was just starting to get into it)

but its happend so many times the other way round..........

The faciantions - girls are out to get you.

The prohets - one gold peice

and so many more that i just cant remeber at the mo'

i thought these was utter shit until i heard it out, a couple of pills down and now i love that shit.

someone put me to bed..........(hic) (burp)

Social source share

I'm not over you yet - True Image

Heard it so much at one time I got really was fed up of it.

I know what you mean Sue, it got hammered, but I love dancing to that record :thumbsup:

As for one that I tend to dislike now that accolade goes to..."Point of View" by The Blue Jays, I found I'd be dancing to it and be waiting for the ending where he says..." and that's my point of view" and in my minds eye I saw a bunch of guys in powder blue suits with half moon pockets wearing stetsons and cowboy boots.....an image that eventually killed the record for me....altogether now... aahhh!! :)

Social source share

Moody Woman..Loved the record when i was younger but it means nothing now..It was sold two years ago with many others..I thought i would never sell any of my tunes but some just fade away...Thats life...

Frank Wilson....Do I Love You.. Indeed i did but now i don't....When i first danced to that record in 81/82 at Morecambe Pier it was my world..It will never get me onto the floor again though..

Fortune teller...Another tune i would jump through glass windows to dance to when i was younger but sold that along with many others,the words mean nothing at all..talking of being happy wed to the fortune teller and signing off with the words "and now i get my fortune told for free"..

I was at Crossfire in London a couple of years back and this tune came on,its one of them moments when you hear an intro and think its another song..I burst onto the dance floor,after about 20 seconds it hit me..The Duck,another tune of my youth but now it sounded so dull,the longest 2 mins of my time on the dancefloor ever since i had to slow dance with a girl at a party to Careless Whispers :thumbsup: ,fooooooooooooooking George Michael..

The other side of the coin is..

Jerry Williams..If you ask me..Not heard that tune for a long long time and thought i had left that tune behind in my search for deeper soul..Got to hear it on a big sound system last year and it was like the first time all over again..

Love slipped through my fingers... Another tune that will never ever die for me..

We could go on and on and on..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest soul_hull

happened to me the other way round too - valentines - breakaway - used to hear this everywhere i went - it always bored me - hadn't heard it for years, then, BAM! great record - explain that!??!?!?!

i used to absolutely love johnny bristol 'love no longer has a hold on me' and i mean love it - it was never off the turntable - but i rarely play it these days, and when i do it doesn't hold the same magic. was my fave for years though.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

happened to me the other way round too - valentines - breakaway - used to hear this everywhere i went - it always bored me - hadn't heard it for years, then, BAM! great record - explain that!??!?!?!

Most of the records that currently bore me to tears are really great records but familiarity has bred contempt, so to the back of the cupboard they go, to be dug out years later to great joy. :thumbsup: I've grabbed a few tunes out of the cupboard that I was sick of a few years back but now they sound great again, its like getting a new record without paying for it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Most of the records that currently bore me to tears are really great records but familiarity has bred contempt, so to the back of the cupboard they go, to be dug out years later to great joy. :thumbsup: I've grabbed a few tunes out of the cupboard that I was sick of a few years back but now they sound great again, its like getting a new record without paying for it. :shades:

What tunes have you re-activated again..Always good to hear about them...

I was at a soul night in Scotland last year heard Little Girl Lost..It sounded like the greatest soul sound ever because i aint heard it for a long time...I love songs and djs to do that for me..Thats whats kept me going on the scene..

Some think i am in the rare tunes only gang,no no no..Just wanna hear something fresh alongside great tunes that have been left alone for a while and not clubbed to death like a baby seal.. :thumbsup: ..

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For no reason what so ever I couldn't ever get The Salvadores Stick by me Baby.

Then one night last year Ady played it at the 100 club, and it was just perfect. I even had a little shimmy.

At one time I really likes the Professionals. Honest. But if I ever hear that dirge again....Why I Aughta ...... :thumbsup:

And one that I loved, then grew weary of, now love again. Suspicion. Great intro, great tune. Was played to death, but now I love it all over again. Not sure I could feel the same about Epitome of Sound.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

What tunes have you re-activated again..Always good to hear about them...

7th Avenue Aviators, VIPs, loadsa cheapies llike you say, a run of Chuck Jackson 45s, couple of Maxine Browns. Hearing a track on CD often sends me off looking for it and finding other stuff on the way, its great.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Same thing happened to me, different record. Charades " Key to my Happiness". Ho-hum, I thought for years, then BAM up at Stoke about 7 years ago, it just hit me & I still love it to this day.

Herman Lewis "Who's kissing you tonight" I got really sick of, but after a long break it suddenly sounded all fresh at the last 100 club -cue for me to whisk my little trotters onto the dancefloor. Same for Fortson & Scott "Sweet Lover".

It's nice to know all is not lost: as Steve said it's what keeps us going on the Scene.

BUT........back to love...then hate-I've thought of one more: Geater Davis " My love is so strong for you". First time I heard it, I thought it was one of the BEST records ever made. But only ten plays later and poor Geater had fallen from grace. It now sounds like Chris Rea to my shell-likes. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Doug Banks - I just kept on Dancing. now I sit and wait until its over. used to love it. Cant see why now.

Doris Troy- Ill do anything. Dont know how I ever liked this. Oozes cheese.

Invitations- Skiing in the Snow. Great vocals nice backing track, but the lyrics are just embarrasing. I must have looked insane dancing and singing along to this tune as a youth.

Seven Souls- I still Love you- Not anymore I dont. Got chucked off the decks years ago. Another Pizza ingredient.

Frankie Valli-Your Ready Now. Loved it way back, then one day my ears started to weep when I played it. Awful choon.

Generally like most oldies just dont like hearing the same tunes hammered to death constantly at gigs. Its nice to hear a mix of tunes;new stuff but quality not just played cause its rare or unknown, hate when DJs do that, also good to hear reactivated oldies you havent heard for a while and there are still lots of 7ts tunes that hopefully will crossover onto the northern scene.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

BUT........back to love...then hate-I've thought of one more: Geater Davis " My love is so strong for you". First time I heard it, I thought it was one of the BEST records ever made. But only ten plays later and poor Geater had fallen from grace. It now sounds like Chris Rea to my shell-likes. :shades:

:thumbsup::wicked:

Wendy. That is the best put down I can remember on here.

Quality.

Social source share

Chris Rea happens to be my cousin,so please dont go slagging my family off----also he sounds nothing like Geater Davis ---More like a young Arthur Mullard

Social source share

"..........And I can see that little stage All the hands up in the air

Bombers and blues gonna see us through Got my new lime suit mohair

With a single vent sixteen inch Got my two-stroke wheels outside

We only need the High Numbers now And anything on stateside .........."

from one of Chris's songs from the Deltics Album circa '79 called "the Twisted Wheel"

I think he may have been a bit of a mod at one time.............

Edited by johnm
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!