Beatles Jam Session Key West -- September 64

Roburt

We winter in Florida these days (spending about 11 weeks there between late October & early March). Many times, we take a trip down to the Keys during our stays & these have included visits to Key West. On one of these, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel (by the airport) .. this is right next door to the  Hyatt Windward Pointe which stands on the site of the old Key Wester Motel. Seems the old motel went down in pop history back in September 64.

We all know the Beatles loved their r&b, soul & Motown in the early to mid 60's and sold a lot of it back to white Yank fans (many of who didn't know they were buying covers of US originals) .......  just about no other singer / group's history has been better researched / documented than the Beatles ... BUT I wonder if anyone ever asked them or the other acts involved just what songs they performed during a famous jam session held in Key West on September 10th 1964.

The group had been due to fly from Canada to Florida for a show in Jacksonville. But there was a hurricane over Florida & they had trouble finding somewhere safe for their plane to land. It eventually got permission to land at Key West (10th September 64) and they quickly headed out of the airport there to an adjacent modest motel (the Key Wester Motel). They hung out there for a bit & then went to the motel's bar to chill out. Late that night, a troop of other acts off the tour turned up -- Clarence Henry, the Exciters & the Bill Black Combo. They joined the Beatles in a jam session at the bar which went on for about 4 hours (locals complained about the noise & the police came and made them stop).

BUT, I can't find details anywhere about what songs they performed together ... no doubt most of them would have been soul & Motown songs (seems the Pinches' twins exploits on their more recent Key West visit has been better documented). Anyone have any ideas of anything the ensemble performed that night ?? 

https://keywesttheblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/its-no-great-secret-that-ive-been-known.html

KeyWesterMotel64b.jpg

KeyWestHotels.jpg

BeatlesKeyWest64.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Seems strange to me that Herb Rooney (with his long, successful & varied music biz career), never managed to get the details of his extensive work documented in a book of some sort.

Did anything about the Exciters gigs in 64 get put down on paper when Herb was working with Ian Levine in the mid 70's ??

Exciters64mont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Seems the Beatles tour acts flew up to Jacksonville the next day (Sept 11th) and the show there went ahead as planned. Seems the Beatles performed the following songs on the show ...   Twist and Shout, You Can't Do That, All My Loving, She Loves You, Things We Said Today, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, If I Fell, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Boys, A Hard Day's Night & Long Tall Sally.

What the other acts did on the how isn't detailed. However the support acts that night are listed as Reparata & The Delrons, Jackie DeShannon and The Bill Black Combo. What happened to Clarence Henry & the Exciters I have no idea. 

Beatles64PostaMont.jpg

BillBlackCombo64.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!