Soulman58

5 Favourite Films

Not sure if this has been covered before, but would be interested to hear everyone's 5 favourite films.  Given the number of sounds I have heard through this forum, i'm sure someone there will be a few gems to discover.  Mine for what its worth are

1. Local Hero

2.  Godfather II

3. Rio Bravo

4. Adams Rib

5. Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe

Not in any kind of order but:

Two lane blacktop. 1971 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067893/

Sorcerer. 1977 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The lady in the van. 2015 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3722070/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A dark song. 2016 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4805316/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Rush 2013. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/?ref_=nv_sr_2

That's todays answer, tried for an eclectic mix of films that not everybody will have seen, could've said, Taxi Driver, Deliverance, Day of the Jackal etc etc but...

I feel extremely old when I see everyone else's lists!  😐

1) Random Harvest

2) A Christmas Carol (1951 version - Alastair Sim)

3) A Double Life

4) The Idol

5) Svengali

Bubbling under:  Hobson's Choice, Blue Murder at St. Trinions, The Shape of Things To Come, Great Expectations(1930s US), Lost Horizons

Relatively recent films I like:  "About Time" , Nick Park's films, Monty Python films (although I much prefer their TV series to their films).  Just about any film with Denzel Washington.  I like a lot of German films from 1910-1932.  I like most British films from the 1930s-1950s, plus a lot from the 1960s, and a lot of US films from the late 1920s through 1960s (better portion through the '40s).  I prefer British films to US during the 1950s and 1960s.  I like a goodly % of the Dutch, Scandinavian, and Canadian films I've watched.  They make less films, but their standards are high.

I like many hundreds of films very much, just as I do thousands of songs.  So, choosing a "Top 5" is ludicrous.  The list would change every day, based upon my mood.  One thing is clear,- I like a much larger percentage of films made during the late 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s than later, and, although a significantly lesser percentage of films from the 1950s and 1960s, I like them from the latter era much more than most films made after 1970.  I'm the same with music and art.  I tend to like things from the 1930s-1965 a lot better than things made after 1969.  

I can't even watch 2 minutes of most fantasy and violence-based films made from the 1980s onward.  Of all the Oscar-nominated  films each of the last 40 years, I've liked, on average, merely 5-6 per year.  I would guess that I liked about a thirds of all English-language films made during the 1930s and 1940s.  And that's incredible considering all the inane, worthless comedies made during that period.  For every film I like from the 1980s to the current date, I probably like well over 1,000 from the 1930s and 1940s.

18 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Great film - Harvey Keitel's obsessive character really quite scary.. 

The Duellists is a great movie,for me personally Harvey Keitel is one of the best actors around.

His performance in 'Bad Lieutenant' was excellent, it's also another good movie that often slips under the radar which is a pity, in my opinion.

Just followed the link to the fave films thread from four years ago, and my top five back then pretty much stands today.....

It's A Wonderful Life and Harvey, both with the marvellous James Stewart in the starring role.

Green Mile and Road To Perdition, with Tom Hanks, a latter day Jimmy Stewart.

Godfather II, arguably the best of the trilogy, and overdue another viewing following a recent weekend in Sicily and a visit to Savoca where some of the filming took place.

1) The Great Escape

2) It's A Wonderful Life

3) The Happy Breed

4) Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

5) Back To The Future - 1, 3, 2 (in that order)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Jaws, & The Godfather (s) :wink:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Shawshank Redemption

American History X

Gorillas In the Mist

One flew over the Cuckoos nest

The way we were (As long as I can have a good cry)

South Pacific (As long as I can sing along very loudly)

The Blindside

The Bucket List

Anchorman 1 & 2

Elf

I know that is more than 5, but I may be listing for a friends too :)

x

Edited by crazylegs

Just now, Scootboy said:

Τhis one is a masterpiece

I loved it, watched it as I have only seen a couple of films with Roy Scheider (Brodie in Jaws) watched in was wowed by it, quality, mentioned it in thread as I don't think it's widely known! Reminded me of Peckinpahs' 'Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia' probably the location and the cinematography! :hatsoff2:

8 minutes ago, westender said:

Paths of Glory....a great film. That final scene in the bar is just superb.

Absolutely, they just don't make them like that anymore. . . . . they couldn't; the tone of the whole film is so emotional and so anti-war.

Edited by Timillustrator

4 minutes ago, shufflin said:

as we are nearly in February (already) thought I'd mention Ground Hog Day, I always think of it as an Xmas film but it's not ofc, being February 2

love it

very underrated movie, supposedly he was stuck on that one day for years, lots of weird theories about it.

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

I had to look it up as I knew the HMS Pinafore character, having sung the Captain Corcoran part before, and I'm going to have to see it as it looks very funny.  

Loved it since I was a kid, and the characters and backgrounds are all based on the drawings of Ronald Searle who is one of my favourite artists. The only downside is the music was done in a contemporary style which now sounds a bit dated in places. 

54 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

My starter for five.   ,feel the heat smell the fear,    DOG DAY AFTERNOON Pacino at the top of his game !! 

Awesome performances all round on that one, definitely in my top 10. Until recently I'd only ever seen this and Serpico (also outstanding) with Al Pacino in till my kids made me watch some godawful comedy with Adam Sandler in as well; not his best work!

23 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Loved it since I was a kid, and the characters and backgrounds are all based on the drawings of Ronald Searle who is one of my favourite artists. The only downside is the music was done in a contemporary style which now sounds a bit dated in places. 

I've just watched it, very funky and quite weird, I grew up with Searle's cartoons, Down with Skool, Molesworth and stuff, but I was obviously far too busy to have seen this in 75, earning a pittance to get me to allnighters mostly.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts