Northern soul police strike again

Hi I'm just asking if anyone has come up against the soul police, let me explain when me and the misses went to a northern doo in Nuneaton. I went to look at some records possible to buy, a dj came up at the side and we got talking briefly. I just said to him how's your night, too which he said OK but for all the f--- handbagger. How strange the police strike again

Social source share

I have dj’d a lot of smaller northern nights that have specified ovo, then had folks coming up and requesting £1000 tunes and sulking when I’ve said sorry but I’m not a millionaire.

also asking for “the snake” or tainted love” which I cannot justify paying for original copies of tunes i’m Not arsed about. 

If the punters want big tunes at local nights, the NS police need to relax the ovo rule

just understand that cool tunes don’t need to cost a fortune 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Today’s handbagger could be tomorrow’s dyed in the wool soulie... All venues these days should expect first-time visitors to the scene as they have been drawn in by rumours of wonderful music awaiting them. The scene has become incredibly tolerant of diversity at venues and this is something to be proud of.

The Soul Police have been phased out in most venues to be replaced by Guardian Angels, easily recognisable in their red berets, patrolling the dance floor perimeters, ensuring no drinks are spilled and talc is used in small quantities...

The Soul Police can get to venues much faster now Frankie, they finally have a decent set of wheels!  :thumbsup:  :) 

10604553_10152379203208789_6626161462498122540_o.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Today’s handbagger could be tomorrow’s dyed in the wool soulie... All venues these days should expect first-time visitors to the scene as they have been drawn in by rumours of wonderful music awaiting them. The scene has become incredibly tolerant of diversity at venues and this is something to be proud of.

I couldn't agree more Frank. Once they realise that the handbag isn't getting nicked they stop doing it!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I couldn't agree more Frank. Once they realise that the handbag isn't getting nicked they stop doing it!

I've been to a few venues where there's a mixed age crowd and the groups of younger people are much more protective of their bags, coats and drinks; I guess in a mainstream club the chances of having stuff pinched or drinks spiked is much greater. So I've seen a group of 20 somethings literally dance round a pile of coats. 

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

19 minutes ago, LEN said:

Not that I particularly like the derogatory term 'Handbaggers', I do fully understand it being used by people that have been on the scene for a good while, disillusioned at (in their mind) it's demise - It's not what it once was for them.

Some people say things that they think are 'the thing to say', and if the person who said this to Stephen Houghton (the starter of this thread) was quite young, as is amusingly indicated in the third post - Just take it with a pinch of salt / ignore it.

The second post (from Stevie) sums up how some people do feel, yet eloquently acknowledges that the scene still gives others much enjoyment. And rather than being bitter, I expect focuses on the fantastic memories this scene has provided (You'll have them however you 'did it')

So, if you're still doing this thing weekend after weekend - Good for you! 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Like em or not - We need policing :D

Good post Len.

The scene is probably more accessible now than it has ever been. 

For many people these are the good old days.. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It could be worse...

The soul police could tell dj's to stop playing a track if it does not fit with their interpretation of quality sounds..

Oops I think this happens already:)

I say never judge a person by their hand luggage....it could be full of goodies.

On the other hand imagine back in the day if everybody put their addidas change of clothes holdall on the dancefloor.! Absolute carnage would have ensued.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, tomangoes said:

It could be worse...

The soul police could tell dj's to stop playing a track if it does not fit with their interpretation of quality sounds..

Oops I think this happens already:)

I say never judge a person by their hand luggage....it could be full of goodies.

On the other hand imagine back in the day if everybody put their addidas change of clothes holdall on the dancefloor.! Absolute carnage would have ensued.

Ed

LOL,,,think it does happen already, you are right. 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, Jerry Hipkiss said:

YOUR SOUL MUSIC NEEDS YOU! Get out this weekend, claim your spot and have a good time!

I would if l could find a do without carpetbaggers 

Social source share

Unfortunatly its not the early seventies anymore . Lots of people love the lighter more comercial social side of the scene and seem to have a good time and fit the media template of what Northern Soul is about weather we  like it or not thats what we have now .

If thats not what you want pick your venues carefully .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

28 minutes ago, LEN said:

The ‘Soul Police’ Rule!

Is it a snob thing? - Yes! The ‘Soul Police’ are an organisation that tries to keep the standards up (The law)

People seem to think this scene shouldn’t have ‘elitism’, but sorry it’s always been there, and is a part of youth culture that this scene ‘polarizes’. You have to respect this scene from your day one - If you don’t the Soul Police will clamp down on you! (Well they used to)

Example - I was at an event when I was a mere 14 year old, and my mates were acting like a load of D*ck Heads on the dance floor. This older lad came over to us and said……”If you lot don’t pipe down, I’ll take you all outside and give you a good hiding!”……I was devastated, as I knew they were being stupid.

I sat down with my mates and felt really awkward about what had gone on. This older lad must have noticed, and came over to me. He placed his hand on my shoulder, and said…..”Mate, I know it wasn’t you, it was your mates, you’re alright”…….Winked, and walked off. I’ve never forgotten it. Even at that young age, I had begun to work out that there was a way of conducting myself, having respect for this scene, and those before me.

I’m not sure of this ‘PCs’ name, but he was right to put them in their place - They were lucky they didn’t get arrested! / or smacked in the face…

Unless anyone else has a different interpretation of what 'The Soul Police' is :wink:

All the best,

Just now, Steve S 60 said:

I remember my early days on the force, and having to sort out a group of youths who were dicking around on the dance floor.  One young lad seemed embarrassed by the antics of his mates, so I had a quiet word in his ear and put him at his ease.  I often wonder what happened to that youngster.  I guess I'll never know.

'...and I can smell Cannabis Sarge'...

Vague memories starting to make sense now... 😉

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I remember my early days on the force, and having to sort out a group of youths who were dicking around on the dance floor.  One young lad seemed embarrassed by the antics of his mates, so I had a quiet word in his ear and put him at his ease.  I often wonder what happened to that youngster.  I guess I'll never know.

Hehehe...genius.

Edit.

Boll**ks I've used up all my likes! 

Social source share

15 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Thanks to your 'awareness', he's probably still on the scene.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It's the ovo rule that kills it for me as if vinyl has some magic quality over the content. Maybe it does for it's owner (and that's fine for him and i respect that) but for the vast majority of us we don't give a toss when we're on the dance floor with 3 lagers in us and just floating on the sound. I gave most of mine away to friends who really cherish it but the music means more to me than making money from it. However I do applaud all those dealers (oops I almost said hypocrites) that give a percentage of their profits to the record label & artist 😂

Edited by Rocky
correction
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

It's the ovo rule that kills it for me as if vinyl has some magic quality over the content. Maybe it does for it's owner (and that's fine for him and i respect that) but for the vast majority of us we don't give a toss when we're on the dance floor with 3 lagers in us and just floating on the sound. I gave most of mine away to friends who really cherish it but the music means more to me than making money from it. However I do applaud all those dealers (oops I almost said hypocrites) that give a percentage of their profits to the record label & artist 😂

There is currently a thread running about the whole OVO policy, makes it a bit clearer. 

Social source share

On 21/01/2019 at 18:05, Stephen Houghton said:

Hi I'm just asking if anyone has come up against the soul police, let me explain when me and the misses went to a northern doo in Nuneaton. I went to look at some records possible to buy, a dj came up at the side and we got talking briefly. I just said to him how's your night, too which he said OK but for all the f--- handbagger. How strange the police strike again

FB_IMG_1548410388578.jpg

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:17, LEN said:

The ‘Soul Police’ Rule!

Is it a snob thing? - Yes! The ‘Soul Police’ are an organisation that tries to keep the standards up (The law)

People seem to think this scene shouldn’t have ‘elitism’, but sorry it’s always been there, and is a part of youth culture that this scene ‘polarizes’. You have to respect this scene from your day one - If you don’t the Soul Police will clamp down on you! (Well they used to)

Example - I was at an event when I was a mere 14 year old, and my mates were acting like a load of D*ck Heads on the dance floor. This older lad came over to us and said……”If you lot don’t pipe down, I’ll take you all outside and give you a good hiding!”……I was devastated, as I knew they were being stupid.

I sat down with my mates and felt really awkward about what had gone on. This older lad must have noticed, and came over to me. He placed his hand on my shoulder, and said…..”Mate, I know it wasn’t you, it was your mates, you’re alright”…….Winked, and walked off. I’ve never forgotten it. Even at that young age, I had begun to work out that there was a way of conducting myself, having respect for this scene, and those before me.

I’m not sure of this ‘PCs’ name, but he was right to put them in their place - They were lucky they didn’t get arrested! / or smacked in the face…

Unless anyone else has a different interpretation of what 'The Soul Police' is :wink:

All the best,

And you've been working undercover since lol.

All the best PC Holmes, Midlands Division.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Jayne Houghton said:

FB_IMG_1548410388578.jpg

Oh my lord! Peep-Toe as well!

I'm thinking red stockings instead of my usual preference for black, or maybe white, these would pretty much go with any colour...

Then I guess it's down to the actual mini-dress... Maybe red, unless the red stockings option, must be contrasting in colour...

Logging out for a while. 🤪

• Up vote 3
Social source share