Coolnotes profile photo

Tina Weymouth : History of the Bass Guitar. BBC 4 or i player .

Posted

Guitar Drum and Bass. : BBC 4 Tina Weymouth..
Ive long been a sucker for music biographies and cultural history programmes on TV and BBC 4 has delivered some gems on this score in abundance over the years. Soul, Reggae, Ska, Latin , 
Their latest gems are a trio of one hour shows broadcast on Friday night with a leading musician exploring the history of their own instrument. Stuart Copeland did a credible job examining The Drums , ( A significant part of which was dedicated to Soul and Funk.)  last week former Talking Heads Bassist Tina Weymouth delivered an even better reflection on the Bass Guitar. 
From its roots in the enormous Double Bass instruments up to the 1960’s. The Vocal Bass revolution from ..the introduction to The Marcel’s 1961 version of Blue Moon.
(bomp-baba-bomp-ba-bomp-ba-bomp-bomp... vedanga-dang-dang-vadinga-dong-ding “ dare you to give it a go.! ) British jazzer Herbie Flowers’s immortal bass  contribution to Walk on the Wild Side. ( Cult underground RnR recounted by this 80 year old legend in a cardigan , loved it .!) 
The Motown ‘’Funk Brothers’ bassist James Jamerson shamefully dismissed by Gordy with a ‘note on the door’ and Californian session player Carol Kaye , who I was ignorant of until now. Tina takes on a fascinating musical oddesy ,via  Bootsy Collins and James Brown , to the power and influence of Reggae Bass lines , and her own influence hearing dance music /hip hop emerge the streets of New York, on to the influence of New Order . (Blue Monday rift lifted from Enrico Morricone Fistful of Dollars soundtrack) to Bassline Junkie Dizzy Rascal who provides this gem. 

“you just need bass ,without it  is like having a conversation with no conclusion. Yea you’ve got a melody and some drums . But what’s your point !?? "

On Bass : Tina Weymouth available on BBC i Player for about 3 weeks. This Friday Patti Smith Guitarist Lenny Kaye looks back at the guitars history in popular music.

On Bass .. Tina Weymouth BBC4 or i Player .jpg

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Love the music documentaries that the BBC put out and this one was very good a lot of insight and video clips , well worth a watch.  

Edited by shinehead
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

generally I think the quality of BBC music docs has been piss poor over the last few years, esp black music related,. Highly patronising! so I was pleased to see this as a return to form from the once great,  auntie. Still think they should jack in that licence fee baloney! 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Coolnotes said:

you just need bass ,without it  is like having a conversation with no conclusion. Yea you’ve got a melody and some drums . But what’s your point !?? "

Yep.

Words to live by..

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Watched this about a week or so ago, wonderful Documentary and loved every minute of it so well worth checking out.

Loved the bit about tuning the the bass to a higher pitch to create a unique sound (think that was for Blue Monday) but it covered most types of music.

Have to to say when the BBC get it Right, This is as good as it gets.  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Fabulous mini series. 

as a Drum kit player,  i found the Copeland show absolutely bang on,     it was educating and light hearted in parts,    with some great guests , not forgetting the history of how the humble drum kit formed from individual instruments, to the noisy , but essential part of music we have today.

Tina Weymouth was on form too,    absolutely fascinating , especially to us 'non musical' members of a band 😀.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

If you're like me and can't watch it on the BBC, it is on you tube. Be aware- there are 7 or 8 times when the sound drops out 

for 30 + seconds and then starts up again.

With that aside- it's a great and informative documentary ! 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Will have to move this I'm afraid to freebasing as although the programme did contain some footage of Marvin and Jamerson the soul link is too tenuous for many readers of AATS.

For me I enjoyed 40% of this, love TW and JJ, PM, but too much talk about synthesised bass and hip-hop for me, wouldn't have included Hooky either although he's a genuine nice guy but then Tina would go over a bit to New Wave obviously. Preferred the Drums episode.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Loved this. No mention of reggae on drum programme I don't think but great coverage on the bass one. Bootsy looked cool as... Wicked!! I get the feeling James Jamerson, as a massive jazz head, dismissed a lot of Motown as throwaway pop.. If only he knew what a massive influence he had on the future of popular music 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Three good programmes in the series. The opener about drums hooked me. The next on bass was excellent. Thought the last one on guitar was less riveting. Full marks to BBC4 for compiling this package.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

love tina weymouth and talking heads not overly fond of the tom tom club though

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Weymouth Soul On The Sea
    Lookbacks Archive by CHARMAIN on Sun 23 Mar 2008
    • 5 / 667
    • on 27 Mar 2008
  2. Soul On The Sea....weymouth
    Lookbacks Archive by alfie00soul on Sun 30 Dec 2007
    • 2 / 374
    • Bearsy on 30 Dec 2007
  3. Weymouth
    Freebasing by Razzini69 on Sat 03 Sep 2016
    • 1 / 513
    • Razzini69 on 03 Sep 2016
  4. Weymouth Free Northern Soul Sat 9 May Event
    Events Archive by CHARMAIN on Sun 26 Apr 2009
    • 3 / 319
    • CHARMAIN on 09 May 2009
  5. Weymouth Free Northern Soul Sat 9 May Event
    Lookbacks Archive by CHARMAIN on Sun 10 May 2009
    • 1 / 366
    • CHARMAIN on 10 May 2009
  6. Weymouth Golden Lion Pub 6 March & 30 Oct
    Events Archive by CHARMAIN on Wed 03 Mar 2010
    • 1 / 342
    • CHARMAIN on 03 Mar 2010

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.