Coolnotes

Tina Weymouth : History of the Bass Guitar. BBC 4 or i player .

generally I think the quality of BBC music docs has been piss poor over the last few years, esp black music related,. Highly patronising! so I was pleased to see this as a return to form from the once great,  auntie. Still think they should jack in that licence fee baloney! 

1 hour ago, Coolnotes said:

you just need bass ,without it  is like having a conversation with no conclusion. Yea you’ve got a melody and some drums . But what’s your point !?? "

Yep.

Words to live by..

Watched this about a week or so ago, wonderful Documentary and loved every minute of it so well worth checking out.

Loved the bit about tuning the the bass to a higher pitch to create a unique sound (think that was for Blue Monday) but it covered most types of music.

Have to to say when the BBC get it Right, This is as good as it gets.  

Fabulous mini series. 

as a Drum kit player,  i found the Copeland show absolutely bang on,     it was educating and light hearted in parts,    with some great guests , not forgetting the history of how the humble drum kit formed from individual instruments, to the noisy , but essential part of music we have today.

Tina Weymouth was on form too,    absolutely fascinating , especially to us 'non musical' members of a band 😀.

If you're like me and can't watch it on the BBC, it is on you tube. Be aware- there are 7 or 8 times when the sound drops out 

for 30 + seconds and then starts up again.

With that aside- it's a great and informative documentary ! 

Will have to move this I'm afraid to freebasing as although the programme did contain some footage of Marvin and Jamerson the soul link is too tenuous for many readers of AATS.

For me I enjoyed 40% of this, love TW and JJ, PM, but too much talk about synthesised bass and hip-hop for me, wouldn't have included Hooky either although he's a genuine nice guy but then Tina would go over a bit to New Wave obviously. Preferred the Drums episode.

Loved this. No mention of reggae on drum programme I don't think but great coverage on the bass one. Bootsy looked cool as... Wicked!! I get the feeling James Jamerson, as a massive jazz head, dismissed a lot of Motown as throwaway pop.. If only he knew what a massive influence he had on the future of popular music 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.