Just noticed how similar.....

Hi all,

Listening on the train and just noticed how similar the backing instrumental of 'There Can Be A Better Way' by Smith Brothers (issued recently on the Jack Ashford Just Productions Volume 2 CD by Kent) is to 'Scrub Board' by The Trammps (which itself of course went on to be the backing to 'Hold Back The Night' a couple of years later).

There is a lot in common between them. Never noticed before but the vocal track had nagged at me for years.

Check the links here:

There Can Be A Better Way (instrumental)

Scrub Board

Anyone else found this or other unmentioned similarities on  other songs?

Edited by ThinkSmart
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Any other Doo-Wop lovin' Soul Sourcers ever noticed the similarity between the intro to Gwen Owen's great classic  'Just Say You're Wanted (And Needed)' and the intro to The Stereos 61' Doo Wop hit 'I Really Love You' (Cub) (MGM here in the UK) ?  Not a conscious copy,I'm sure -probably just a  nice bass riff that had subconsciously stuck in the back of the one  writers/arrangers minds.

Incidentally, John Lennon was apparently inspired by 'I Really Love You' when writing The Beatles 'Do You Want To Know A Secret'( as George Harrison later stated in an interview)using a similar  melody line to The  Stereos 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!