OVO

bilkoba

12 minutes ago, shufflin said:

or you have the first vinyl issue on 45 BUT someone else has it on acetate (as someone commented to me on here a while back), or even a Japanese CD (modern soul track), or an mp3, so your OVO isn't really OVO

Its the master recording of a composition which is the true OVO in my opinion  as everything else is, in reality, just a copy of those masters regardless of the format its then transferred to.   .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
4 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Its the master recording of a composition which is the true OVO in my opinion  as everything else is, in reality, just a copy of those masters regardless of the format its then transferred to.   .

logically very true, can't argue - but  in terms of OVO, it gets complicated

it only gets simple when we are talking about rare & really small number of issued records, otherwise we get into US vs British, vs 'international' releases, legit 2nd presses etc

LP tracks which are 'relatively cheap' vs the 45 which is very expensive (even if the LP came first or at more or less the same time)

imo it's all about elitism, snobbery, even if it's illogical - BUT also about protecting the heritage and validity of the scene

Social source share

5 minutes ago, shufflin said:

logically very true, can't argue - but  in terms of OVO, it gets complicated

Yeah,absolutely.I was looking at it more from a technical point of view..apologies, it's just my audio engineering background raising its nerdy head to be honest!

Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

What with a £4500 roach pole. 🤣

Steve

Thankfully i can get a good fly fishing rod for about £300

My turn to go of topic (sorry babyboy)

Social source share

18 hours ago, jez jones said:

WHAT is this record you're so concerned about..if you dont mind me asking ?

It's - In my dreams by the hypotheticals on the Wish list label

Social source share

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

its a bit like religion, no amount of logic or discussing makes any difference to anyone, you either believe in it & follow it as best you can or you dont. As it happens I do believe in it ..............(ovo that is not religion).

I gave up trying to convince anyone its the right way to go. I do what I do.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I'd rather listen to a good DJ playing reissues than a bad one playing "OVO".

I've got an original painting by Charles Seliger and a numbered print by Wu Guanzhong in my living room.

I spend more time looking at the print, but if I could only own one of them it would be the painting.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
51 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Good DJ’s NEVER play reissues, bootlegs or carvers.

thanks for posting an opinion rather than a passive aggressive non answer

I'm still no wiser though, for example is OVO a 45 only or if the LP and 45 were released on same label around same time are they both OVO? I only ask after the Earnest Ernie thread where people seemed to only like the 45 and were not bothered about the LP it was released on months before (I own both)

I have Time by Edwin Starr on original Gordy 45 and LP - which is OVO? both presumably, or the 1970 UK release

same for The Voices Of East Harlem, Timi Yuro and others released on 45 & LP, or is it simply rarity that drives OVO, the 45 being rarer?

If it was released first in US, is the international (Brit/French/Aus etc) version a re-issue? and vice versa

Is an acetate always the OVO if the track got a 45 release?

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

11 hours ago, bbrich said:

I prefer carp fishing for wild carp in french rivers (as opposed to stocked fish in commercial waters) = OFO  (original fish only)

😂 Oh god, that's got me laughing out loud!!! 🤗

Social source share

3 hours ago, shufflin said:

I'm still no wiser though, for example is OVO a 45 only or if the LP and 45 were released on same label around same time are they both OVO? I only ask after the Earnest Ernie thread where people seemed to only like the 45 and were not bothered about the LP it was released on months before (I own both)

I have Time by Edwin Starr on original Gordy 45 and LP - which is OVO? both presumably, or the 1970 UK release

same for The Voices Of East Harlem, Timi Yuro and others released on 45 & LP, or is it simply rarity that drives OVO, the 45 being rarer?

If it was released first in US, is the international (Brit/French/Aus etc) version a re-issue? and vice versa

I'd say, realistically both lp and 45"s on original formats are accepted. But 45"s are generally more desirble: there louder and more convient to play as well as just being collectable. 

Social source share

According to a quote from Richard Searling in Dave Nowells book, The story of Northern Soul, he was given acetates of stuff John Anderson had brought back from the USA between 77 and 81.

So the Maestro himself played carvers?

At least it saved covering up the original discs, but still, not OVO.....

Ed

Social source share

5 hours ago, tomangoes said:

According to a quote from Richard Searling in Dave Nowells book, The story of Northern Soul, he was given acetates of stuff John Anderson had brought back from the USA between 77 and 81.

So the Maestro himself played carvers?

At least it saved covering up the original discs, but still, not OVO.....

Ed

I think he meant proper acetate.  Little Ann from John was a studio acetate, Eddie Parker also I think.

Emidiscs were certainly made at Wigan though.  But that was then when copies of certain records were scare, often one only.  Today most have been found with multiple copies.

Social source share

12 hours ago, shufflin said:

The original release in let's say America makes it the original release in that country . If it's released in let's say Australia either before or after the American release its still a original first release in that country.  Simple.  

Why do people try and complicate things 

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

So....

When these lucky blighters who found say, the tapes of Betty Boo - Say it isn't so.... They eventually got it on on grapevine 45 and compilation... 

Would they be OV or the test discs made from the tapes?

I heard her sing her song in Detroit in 2017 and must admit I never gave it a second thought..

But whilst we are on topic....whats the verdict, and this effects quite a few tracks now.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, BigGordy said:

I called out a general party DJ on Facebook for playing a tired set of tunes from a laptop and got ripped to shreds for it from people suggesting that he can play what he wants from whatever format he wants.  I'm glad that proper DJ values are mostly adhered to on the soul scene and if I called out a DJ for playing from laptop or boots or whatever on here I'd be amongst like minded people mostly.

For the general populus music is a disposable commodity with no real value or worth .

A workmate of mine thats into Northern said she was going to a Northern do the other week a laptop and cd dj do and that a guest dj was going to do a vinyl spot ,for once I was lost for words .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!!

Hi everyone, I've literally just joined this site to get info and confirmation on some records found while clearing out. 

My first post was in relation to the absolutely amazing "If you ask me (because I love you) " by Jerry Williams, regarding the copy I have, and got directed to here. I have been absolutely immersed with all that's said, offered, discussed and reputed. If I may offer my "ha'pennies worth".

With the records I have, and in the past when I had a record player, I would play them so as to enjoy their distinct sound on vinyl. When going to nights, it was always a feeling of nostalgia to hear the crackle, the rawness of the vinyl (with occasionally the Dj messing up - and there's roar of both acknowledgement and let's start over) and 100% feel of being back in the day - that's how it was! 👍👌No 100% perfect sound, no 100% hiccup to interrupt you on the dance floor - just as you are about to throw your killer move!! I completely get anyone NOT wanting to play the original (so damn rare copy), and as collectors (in all forms), want to view, keep, treasure and enjoy solely for themselves, can I say after this probably unnecessary post - IF you are so very fortunate to have one of those very rare and collectible records, and you're a DJ doing the circuit..... PLAY THE SHIT OUT OF IT.... And let ALL of those hard core old skool "KEEPING THE FAITH" soul boys and girls relive that raw (never copied or replaced) sound that IS NORTHERN SOUL, and at the same time introduce and educate the newbies to the origins..... 

Also if anyone can help me please with my record... Very much appreciated 

Hugs

Andy (aka BearloverUK) 

Social source share

On 24/01/2019 at 23:32, Soulsides said:

Surely acetates aren't vinyl, CDs are not vinyl, and MP3s are invisible !? So they can't really be OVO anyway ! (Even tho' I'd only attend events where sounds where spun on proper vinyl releases).

Social source share

2 hours ago, HILL868 said:

Surely acetates aren't vinyl, CDs are not vinyl, and MP3s are invisible !? So they can't really be OVO anyway ! 

No, of course not .I was looking at it more from the technical aspect as I stated previously.

Sorry for any confusion!

On 24/01/2019 at 23:57, Soulsides said:

Yeah,absolutely.I was looking at it more from a technical point of view..apologies, it's just my audio engineering background raising its nerdy head to be honest!

Social source share

3 hours ago, HILL868 said:

Surely acetates aren't vinyl, CDs are not vinyl, and MP3s are invisible !? So they can't really be OVO anyway ! (Even tho' I'd only attend events where sounds where spun on proper vinyl releases).

What’s wrong with an acetate? You gonna tell the likes of Butch,Ady or Andy Dyson etc they can’t play an avetate?

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Dave Rimmer said:

But that’s not the original vinyl is it. 

Yes,you're correct it isn't.It's the master recording as I've already said, the original source material, not the original vinyl .

We're going round in circles here,if you'll excuse the pun!

Social source share