Jump to content
  • Sign Up
bilkoba

OVO

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Andy Warhol was primarly a print maker! and did very little painting, so pretty much all of the warhol's in Galleries are prints, LOL.

True, and not true. In his later years, and whilst he was at the height of his fame, he did indeed concentrate almost 100% on screen prints etc. These were, in many cases, "accentuated' by hand, with paint. In his earlier years, pre-fame, he was actually quite prolific with a brush, rather than a print set-up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MotownSoulMan said:

The chap who posted the original post condoned the use of bootlegs. I don't condone any illicit songs in any form. Legit stuff, ie not originals, but authorised issues, mp3s etc, copied from ones own hard copies though, I do say is fine. The post was written in a hurry and I apologise for any misunderstanding.

No need to apologise my friend :hatsoff2:

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Yes there is. All i've ever done, work wise, for 37 years was being a member of HMs Armed Forces, and when in doubt, I shoot first and ask questions later. It's a mentality that is harder to get out of ones swede than you can ever imagine, however, I do try. 

Now, I goofed up, and was quite correctly picked up on that by a few members. On reviewing what I posted, I agree with the ticking off I got, both in my post to the originator of this thread, bilkoba, and in changing the subject, by posting something of no relevance at all. I hope you understand that when I am wrong, and especially when I am picked up on it, and proven to be in the wrong, it wouldn't be me to not apologise. Thanks in advance.

When you see some of the bollocks  i've spouted...........your comments are ok and worth debating.!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joey said:

Point taken, but........

This thread once again conflates two very different things, i.e., the collecting of rare records, and the playing of tunes to dance to. if you think about it for a moment, both activities appear to have been merged in the last forty odd years, and now seem to be inseparable, but are in themselves completely different activities.  For the benefit of others who may have missed this the first time around, I'll reiterate what I have said previously.

We now live in a very different world than in 73. No longer do we struggle to find rare records, as we can access so many ways of doing so. Nor do we all have to live on £1.25 a bloody week. Most of us are now far more successful and wealthy than we could have dreamt of back then. This has led to a plethora of guys who fancy themselves as DJs. Bloody hundreds of the buggers, if not thousands. All with money to burn, and a box full of four figure records, (mainly shite). And many, if not all, focussed on willy waving about it. 

Back in the early days of the scene, pre-76, EVERYONE used boots. Boots, pressings, emi-discs, re-issues, the lot. Some more than others, obviously. I know this as a fact, as I actually sold emi-discs to one or two high profile DJs. And the name of one of those DJs would surprise many on this forum. (Nope, no names no pack drill). And you know why they did this? To get people on the floor, dancing to a tune they couldn't dance to in other places. NOT, I may add, to stand around drooling and playing with themselves at the sight of a label. Oh, and one more thing. One or two of those DJs, including ones who are now seen as absolute Gods, were actually heavily involved in booting, for their own financial reward. 

I never gave a toss as to what format I was playing tunes via when DJ-ing. Funny thing was, neither did any of the punters at the time. They, for some strange reason, just wanted to dance and have a great time. We must have been so naive back then, eh? (And yes, I know, understand, and agree with the whole royalties thing). 

Sound quality. Agree with the poster, but with a slight qualification. Some of the old original Soul Sounds boots were actually of a higher sound quality than the original issues. The Invitations immediately springs to mind. Much better on SS than on Stateside.

Safety and security. I couldn't agree more. Once again I ask, why would I risk losing, damaging, or being "relieved of" a Hoagy Lands or Rufus Lumley Stateside issue or a Sandy Wynns UK disc, when I could DJ with an Out Of The Past model? Once again, everyone danced. No-one complained. This again goes back to collecting versus DJ-ing. 

I could go on and on, but I won't. This subject has been covered ad nauseam on this forum, and by the looks of this thread, already will continue to do so. I accept I'm in the minority, but for the life of me cannot change my mind, so......

I'll ask everyone again. It's a very simple question which should answer this whole debate. Whats more important, the label or the tune? Do you want to attend events merely to slobber and masturbate over a moving picture on a screen behind or to the side of the DJ, or do you want to hear the best music in the world, and dance your little tits off?

It's in the grooves what counts people, and always has been!

Great post Joey, I didn't give a toss in the 70s where I got the record, they were so hard to get, even the popular ones. No internet or downloads then and from my perspective as a spotty teenager, boots were all I could get and were doing me a favour. If an original was for sale somewhere, how the fk would I know other than spending hours trawling through boxes at the Casino etc (which I did)?!? Yes DJs only played vinyl then, that's all there was! Because other formats are available now it doesn't mean you have to play vinyl. Or should I still be playing cassettes in my car because they were the original format?!? Happy for the purists & collectors to admire each other but don't hold the moral high ground please.

 

 

Edited by Rocky
corrections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joey said:

True, and not true. In his later years, and whilst he was at the height of his fame, he did indeed concentrate almost 100% on screen prints etc. These were, in many cases, "accentuated' by hand, with paint. In his earlier years, pre-fame, he was actually quite prolific with a brush, rather than a print set-up. 

so the most collectable and highly valued 'Warhols's' are his prints, which is the point I was making. Think its fair to say he's most famous for his print work as well.   

Edited by geeselad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Great post Joey, I didn't give a toss in the 70s where I got the record, they were so hard to get, even the popular ones. No internet or downloads then and from my perspective as a spotty teenager, boots were all I could get and were doing me a favour. If an original was for sale somewhere, how the fk would I know other than spending hours trawling through boxes at the Casino etc (which I did)?!? Yes DJs only played vinyl then, that's all there was! Because other formats are available now it doesn't mean you have to play vinyl. Or should I still be playing cassettes in my car because they were the original format?!? Happy for the purists & collectors to admire each other but don't hold the moral high ground please.

 

 

I'm not aware of any places that DON'T play vinyl...are there any ?  serious question this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, geeselad said:

so the most collectable and highly valued 'Warhols's' are his prints, which is the point I was making. Think its fair to say he's most famous for his print work as well.   

I ain't gonna argue. BabyBoy will tell me off if I do!!!!!!! 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joey said:

I ain't gonna argue. BabyBoy will tell me off if I do!!!!!!! 🙂 

The comparison with the visual art world is a good one in context.

With Warhol there are original prints and prints. An original screenprinted work by him will fetch mega-bucks whereas a digital print from my Inkjet won't be worth quite as much.

But yeah, it would be preferable to stick with records talk! As if I would tell anyone off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Don't quote me on this but I think events like SITS and similar play from laptops and CDs etc.

ahh right...ok didn't know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The comparison with the visual art world is a good one in context.

With Warhol there are original prints and prints. An original screenprinted work by him will fetch mega-bucks whereas a digital print from my Inkjet won't be worth quite as much.

But yeah, it would be preferable to stick with records talk! As if I would tell anyone off!

True. His famous works are one-offs, much the same as if he'd sat there brush in hand etc. Most people don't think about it that way, just assuming "prints" means multiples etc. There are prints, and then there are prints. Possibly the closest we could get musically would be a tiny handful of legitimate Frank Wilsons, but a shedload of various copies, both legally and illegally manufactured. 

Sorry, going off topic again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, all of you dj's playing styrene pressings are not abiding by the OVO rule :D You fakes!

Otherwise, change it to OVOSO = Original Vinyl or Styrene Only

Edited by DiscotechSoul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DiscotechSoul said:

Most important thing at a party/event is the vibe/ambiance. Appealing to just a few male collector chinstrokers is imo missing the point.

What makes you think its only male collector chinstrokers that it appeals to.....I went to an event and everyone appreciated the OVO concept 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Some cracking female DJs about though! And knowledgeable female collectors too!

Has to be said though that chin-strokers do tend to be male! 🤣 

Yes I know..but isn't it going off track a bit...vibe/ambience can be created with original records ..it isn't the exclusive domain of other formats surely ...and we talking Northern/Rare soul events here...

Edited by jez jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

12 minutes ago, geeselad said:

At least we agree about one thing mate, Hurst is an insult to artists. 

Deffo. He's probably the worst of the bloody lot. Almost all the so-called YBA crew are untalented con artists, but Hirst is no more than a professional plonker who appeals to a certain type of metropolitan tosspot. My daughter recreated one of his "Spin" paintings when she was five, and we sold it for a three figure sum on eBay.  At least that Emin woman, although mad as a bag of diseased badgers, offers some honesty. Says it all really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chalky said:

When Berry Gordy said its whats in the grooves, I don’t think he meant the grooves of a bootleg. He wasn’t best pleased with his label being booted. 

Especially when it was his old lady doing the booting ... :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Lol

What happened to the OVO thread?

I only went out for some  fish and chips..

Lol. 🤣🤣🤣

 It wasn't me Guv, honest. 

Blame Chris for starting the art analogy thing. I just ran with it!!!! 😂

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DiscotechSoul said:

Most important thing at a party/event is the vibe/ambiance. Appealing to just a few male collector chinstrokers is imo missing the point.

Says someone who just last October had a mini-rant about boots/reissues  .... 

"I'm getting real tired of all these reissues and bootlegs. It took a lot of time and money to get some those, particularly the Love Crime EP, to just have every one and their mother get those. It's gonna get played out quickly ... 😡"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Joey said:

Lol. 🤣🤣🤣

 It wasn't me Guv, honest. 

Blame Chris for starting the art analogy thing. I just ran with it!!!! 😂

 

Hehe- that's a relief.. I actually thought that Brian Sewell and Sister Wendy Beckett had joined the forum for a minute...

10 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Original Vegetable Oil?

🤣 

You win,close the thread!

Edited by Soulsides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joey said:

Deffo. He's probably the worst of the bloody lot. Almost all the so-called YBA crew are untalented con artists, but Hirst is no more than a professional plonker who appeals to a certain type of metropolitan tosspot. My daughter recreated one of his "Spin" paintings when she was five, and we sold it for a three figure sum on eBay.  At least that Emin woman, although mad as a bag of diseased badgers, offers some honesty. Says it all really. 

Joey, We did some work on Hirsts’ art teachers house  who told him he was f#cking useless and still stood by that to his dying day 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

Says someone who just last October had a mini-rant about boots/reissues  .... 

"I'm getting real tired of all these reissues and bootlegs. It took a lot of time and money to get some those, particularly the Love Crime EP, to just have every one and their mother get those. It's gonna get played out quickly ... 😡" 

And your point is?

Edited by DiscotechSoul
quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Colnago said:

Joey, We did some work on Hirsts’ art teachers house  who told him he was f#cking useless and still stood by that to his dying day 😄

😂 he's a fraud, pure and simple. Just a so-called celeb member of a group of self appointed "cool" people. Keith Allen is also one of them. Decent actor, throbbing muppet of a person. Though not nearly as big a twonk as his talentless SJW daughter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

You couldnt wait to bloody run with it!🤪

Oh, you know me SO well! 😂😂😂😂 I never knew an OVO debate could be so much fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

As a very keen and lifelong freshwater angler, I found this highly amusing. 

I've always been fishing ,well since I was five. Brought up on ponds and canals in the north west. 

Steve 

Sorry about the off topic reply 

Edited by Winsford Soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been reading some very old threads on Soul Source regarding OVO this evening (sad git) and they are entertaining, basically views haven't changed at all, not one bit

and yet, no-one has managed to explain what OVO actually is without using the word 'original'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shufflin said:

been reading some very old threads on Soul Source regarding OVO this evening (sad git) and they are entertaining, basically views haven't changed at all, not one bit

and yet, no-one has managed to explain what OVO actually is without using the word 'original'

 

First issues innit...

Or is it a Demo? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

First issues innit...

Or is it a Demo? 

or you have the first vinyl issue on 45 BUT someone else has it on acetate (as someone commented to me on here a while back), or even a Japanese CD (modern soul track), or an mp3, so your OVO isn't really OVO

also - carvers of unreleased tracks, literally pressed for DJ's to play out, got some of them, must be the OVO but then again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shufflin said:

or you have the first vinyl issue on 45 BUT someone else has it on acetate (as someone commented to me on here a while back), or even a Japanese CD (modern soul track), or an mp3, so your OVO isn't really OVO

also - carvers of unreleased tracks, literally pressed for DJ's to play out, got some of them, must be the OVO but then again...

.....or tracks that were only available on albums until given a single release years later etcetera etcetera etcetera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.