Jump to content
  • Sign Up
bilkoba

OVO

Recommended Posts

On 25/01/2019 at 22:04, shufflin said:

thanks for posting an opinion rather than a passive aggressive non answer

I'm still no wiser though, for example is OVO a 45 only or if the LP and 45 were released on same label around same time are they both OVO? I only ask after the Earnest Ernie thread where people seemed to only like the 45 and were not bothered about the LP it was released on months before (I own both)

I have Time by Edwin Starr on original Gordy 45 and LP - which is OVO? both presumably, or the 1970 UK release

same for The Voices Of East Harlem, Timi Yuro and others released on 45 & LP, or is it simply rarity that drives OVO, the 45 being rarer?

If it was released first in US, is the international (Brit/French/Aus etc) version a re-issue? and vice versa

Is an acetate always the OVO if the track got a 45 release?

 

If it got released on LP and 45 and then picked up by a major label for bigger distribution, as long as they all came out about the same time, as part of the original promotion and release to the general public they are all originals.

Original part of the promotion and distribution to the general public of that song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

If it got released on LP and 45 and then picked up by a major label for bigger distribution, as long as they all came out about the same time, as part of the original promotion and release to the general public they are all originals.

Original part of the promotion and distribution to the general public of that song.

No, what you describe in your first sentence is a second issue.

OVO in the context of 'Original Vinyl Only' Northern soul refers to the first pressing whether on LP or 45, anything else is not OVO, unless a first issue from another country, eg: A UK first release of a tune previously released in the USA, that is classed as OVO first UK issue.

In context The Tempests 'Someday' OVO is the album 'Would you believe?'

The Belles 'Don't pretend' first issue on Mirwood is OVO as is The Belles on UK President. The Belles on Contempo isn't OVO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

No, what you describe in your first sentence is a second issue.

OVO in the context of 'Original Vinyl Only' Northern soul refers to the first pressing whether on LP or 45, anything else is not OVO, unless a first issue from another country, eg: A UK first release of a tune previously released in the USA, that is classed as OVO first UK issue.

In context The Tempests 'Someday' OVO is the album 'Would you believe?'

The Belles 'Don't pretend' first issue on Mirwood is OVO as is The Belles on UK President. The Belles on Contempo isn't OVO.

 

Again I doubt there is one venue anywhere that sticks strictly to this stupid rule. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

No, what you describe in your first sentence is a second issue.

OVO in the context of 'Original Vinyl Only' Northern soul refers to the first pressing whether on LP or 45, anything else is not OVO.

It's not as simple as that!

That would mean something like for example,  The Formations on Bank records is an original, but it was also released about a month later by MGM for a bigger national distribution to the USA public. That MGM release has always been considered an original because it was part of the original promotion of the song, while the group were still together and hoping for a hit.

Edited by solidsoul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chalky said:

Again I doubt there is one venue anywhere that sticks strictly to this stupid rule. 

LoL Chalky, and everyone else, I didn't make the rule, and I didn't say what is my view on it.

@solidsoul

I don't know if you are in the UK or...

But the case you highlighted the Formations on Bank would be the OVO, the MGM if you spun that then, your reputation as an OVO DJ would be shot! Plus you might well be too, or hung drawn and quartered, Tar and Feathered who knows?

Don't shoot the messenger they ain't my rules, nor do I particularly give a flyer about them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

LoL Chalky, and everyone else, I didn't make the rule, and I didn't say what is my view on it.

@solidsoul

I don't know if you are in the UK or...

But the case you highlighted the Formations on Bank would be the OVO, the MGM if you spun that then, your reputation as an OVO DJ would be shot! Plus you might well be too, or hung drawn and quartered, Tar and Feathered who knows?

Don't shoot the messenger they ain't my rules, nor do I particularly give a flyer about them!

Well you better tell all the major record dealers, because the Formations on  MGM has always, from the dawn of the Northern Scene, been sold as an original even though it came out on Bank first!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some titles had local releases then national - America is a big place. 

This was explained to you very well. 

I guess Babyboy you"ve never collected records? As for your comment about being shot etc for playing such releases please let us know names of the half-wits who take this stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not getting into squabbles about it. I have got original vinyl records. I wouldn't describe myself as a record collector.

I'm only saying what the UK OVO soul scene is. If you're in doubt have a read of the hundreds of discussions on it!

I'm not talking about the scene in America.

As for the 'half wits who take this stance' bit we have events here in the UK with cameras focussed on the decks and the label showing on big screens behind the DJ for people to see/scrutinise! People get called out on it all the time.

I'll state again that I couldn't care less about OVO at events!

dccam.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

LoL Chalky, and everyone else, I didn't make the rule, and I didn't say what is my view on it.

@solidsoul

I don't know if you are in the UK or...

But the case you highlighted the Formations on Bank would be the OVO, the MGM if you spun that then, your reputation as an OVO DJ would be shot! Plus you might well be too, or hung drawn and quartered, Tar and Feathered who knows?

Don't shoot the messenger they ain't my rules, nor do I particularly give a flyer about them!

There you go complicating a simply situation, any LP, local, national release, any company reissue within a reasonable time period is original release.  I wouldn’t play a reissue if a first press there or even the acetate personally.

Anyone who says a national releae isn’t original and ok to play needs to give their head a good wobble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

LoL Chalky, and everyone else, I didn't make the rule, and I didn't say what is my view on it.

@solidsoul

I don't know if you are in the UK or...

But the case you highlighted the Formations on Bank would be the OVO, the MGM if you spun that then, your reputation as an OVO DJ would be shot! Plus you might well be too, or hung drawn and quartered, Tar and Feathered who knows?

Don't shoot the messenger they ain't my rules, nor do I particularly give a flyer about them!

Any one who plays the MGM, their reputation would be solid, except for some fuck wit in a dark corner who it seems hasn’t got a clue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chalky said:

Any one who plays the MGM, their reputation would be solid, except for some fuck wit in a dark corner who it seems hasn’t got a clue. 

If that's a pop at me how many times do I have to say I don't give two f***s about OVO?

He asked a question, I answered it, as you well know Chalky people out there get furious over this issue, I'm not one of 'em.

This MGM one may be an exception, but the general rule is what I described, is it not? Whether you agree or I or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I'm not getting into squabbles about it. I have got original vinyl records. I wouldn't describe myself as a record collector.

I'm only saying what the UK OVO soul scene is. If you're in doubt have a read of the hundreds of discussions on it!

But it is ‘t though is it, it is justba few idiots spouting off on social media, some using the term on their flyer for some sort of credibility.  

Most couldn’t give a sh*t, that includes your serious collectors and Djs. Most support the venues who do it how it should be done without being told some silly rule. 

You only have to read topics like this to see that most either haven’t a clue what they are on about or cannot agree on whatbthe criteria for such a rule should be.

As I said just go out and enjoy the music, support those who you know care and do it right and smack those who spout silly rules round the head with a bootleg or two 😜

Edited by chalky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

If that's a pop at me how many times do I have to say I don't give two f***s about OVO?

He asked a question, I answered it, as you well know Chalky people out there get furious over this issue, I'm not one of 'em.

This MGM one may be an exception, but the general rule is what I described, is it not? Whether you agree or I or not.

Its a pop at anyone who says different tbh, no one in particular.  I was simp,y quoting what you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chalky said:

But it is ‘t though is it, it is justba few idiots spouting off on social media, some using the term on their flyer for some sort of credibility.  

Most couldn’t give a sh*t, that in ludes your serious collectirs and Djs. Most support the venues who do it how it should be done without being told some silly rule. 

You only have to read topics like this to see that most either haven’t a clue what they are on about or cannot agree on whatbthe criteria for such a rule should be.

As I said just go out and enjoy the music, support thoe who you know care and do it right and smack those who spout silly rules round the head with a bootleg or two 😜

Thing is I know you and I are on the same page about OVO generally. I do go out and I do enjoy it, they can play on CD or Mp3 for all I care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

1 minute ago, chalky said:

I want to listen to rare soul, be it on an actete, local release, national release or an Lp.  I don’t wish to hear reissues from years later or bootlegs. I’ve Djed countless times too and I’ve never been asked do I play OVO, nor have I ever asked that of any promoter or DJ, you just know the score when you are around the scene. 

Why do we need the rules when as a promoter you are booking the right people, why the need to tell everyone you are an OVO event.  The vast majority already knw the score the rest couldn’t give a monkey. 

that would be a good closing post imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chalky said:

I want to listen to rare soul, be it on an actete, local release, national release or an Lp.  I don’t wish to hear reissues from years later or bootlegs. I’ve Djed countless times too and I’ve never been asked do I play OVO, nor have I ever asked that of any promoter or DJ, you just know the score when you are around the scene. 

Why do we need the rules when as a promoter you are booking the right people, why the need to tell everyone you are an OVO event.  The vast majority already knw the score the rest couldn’t give a monkey. 

As another member posted earlier today, perhaps we need to draw a VERY THICK AND SOLID line under this subject. Views are not just extremely polarised, but also firmly entrenched. I doubt very much that ANY new arguments, either for or against, will sway anyone's opinion. In the great scheme of things, this is a relatively new phenomenon on the scene. It will go away one day, probably only to be replaced by something equally as contentious!

(and remember, at the end of the day it's only an opinion. Mine, of course, is the right one, everyone else is wrong!😂)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joey said:

As another member posted earlier today, perhaps we need to draw a VERY THICK AND SOLID line under this subject. Views are not just extremely polarised, but also firmly entrenched. I doubt very much that ANY new arguments, either for or against, will sway anyone's opinion. In the great scheme of things, this is a relatively new phenomenon on the scene. It will go away one day, probably only to be replaced by something equally as contentious!

(and remember, at the end of the day it's only an opinion. Mine, of course, is the right one, everyone else is wrong!😂)

 

Amen ? ( lol) 

Edited by Colnago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some DJs that I rate / some I don't so much (In the nicest possible way I hasten to add)

I just enjoy what they do.....'OVO' this 'OVO' that - I have less time for 'Mr Souless' who just happens to have all the original 'top tunes'

'The End' 

Len :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

No, what you describe in your first sentence is a second issue.

OVO in the context of 'Original Vinyl Only' Northern soul refers to the first pressing whether on LP or 45, anything else is not OVO, unless a first issue from another country, eg: A UK first release of a tune previously released in the USA, that is classed as OVO first UK issue.

In context The Tempests 'Someday' OVO is the album 'Would you believe?'

The Belles 'Don't pretend' first issue on Mirwood is OVO as is The Belles on UK President. The Belles on Contempo isn't OVO.

 

That's just your own interpretation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Adverts

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.