MIKE TERRY photo.

1 hour ago, colouredman said:

Heres another photographic treat from my archives; the legend Mike Terry.

FCCE1132-6EC7-402A-A36C-94171B94A8CC.thumb.jpeg.cb2a0f8a7f957b1fec9da1303bc22af5.jpeg 

This photo was taken by me, on 10th of April 1990, at Mikes home in Teaneck, New Jersey. Jacqui Kavanagh and I spent that afternoon with Mike and his wife, talking about his life and times in the music business.

I interviewed him at length that day, using a dictaphone and cassette tape, and was the first person to ever interview him about his Northern/Motown years apparently.

Everyone had been looking for Mike but in the wrong place....Detroit; he’d long since left there. I found him by mentioning him one day(as a long shot) to a music business legend Sammy Lowe, who used to find music business people for me. It turned out Mike lived around the corner from him!

Bizarrely, given all the superb stuff Mike was involved in, he only actually had 1 piece of vinyl to his name; an album by the Atlanta Disco Band. I left that one with him, lol.

Oh and the Baritone sax you see here is the one he used at Motown and on all the stuff we know and love. Did I get to hold it??? you bet!, and photographed with it too, lol.

I have a postcard from Mike, sent to me shortly after Sammy Lowe gave me his address, and I’d written to him. In it Mike says that he played on 90% of the hits that came out of Motown. 

Enjoy

Another fantastic photo Tim. Thanks for sharing them with us. Chris. 

Social source share

38 minutes ago, chalky said:

Great photo Tim.

Was he well off, comfortable in life?  You see and hear of so many artists who are on their arse despite what they did in life.

Would be nice to know MT was at the very least comfortable and saw some rewards for all his work.

He seemed to be doin ok. The neighbourhood he lived in; Teaneck, was a nice area then as I recall; not a run down or low economy area. I dont think he was livin a life of excess or luxury, but doin ok. I’ll transcribe the tapes i recorded for a fuller picture of Mike and his life. 

Social source share

41 minutes ago, colouredman said:

He seemed to be doin ok. The neighbourhood he lived in; Teaneck, was a nice area then as I recall; not a run down or low economy area. I dont think he was livin a life of excess or luxury, but doin ok. I’ll transcribe the tapes i recorded for a fuller picture of Mike and his life. 

Thanks mate, nice to see he was doing ok and not struggling, although he should have been a millionaire!

Social source share

Great photo ,without a doubt my favourite musician of all time , we all grew up listening to him ,but didn’t realise it .Really look forward to the taped interview Tim , by all accounts he must have been one of the busiest men in Soul business throughout the 60’s early 70’s , not just playing ,but writing and arranging .Cheers Eddie 

Social source share

Played out Bari Track on Saturday (Pop Club Accrington) and as always that Bari sax set the hairs up on the back of my neck.

I have Mr Terry the legend to thank for that feeling which never lessens over the decades of listening to it!

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

My apology for anyone offended. I really did not know Mike was not with us anymore. Upon simple research, here is one story.

Mike Terry
Baritone saxophonist on Motown's greatest hits of the 1960s

Richard Williams

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/dec/01/mike-terry-obituary

clipped by site - please do not post complete articles from other sites - highlight and a link please

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
12 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

My apology for anyone offended. I really did not know Mike was not with us anymore. Upon simple research, here is one story.

clipped by site

What a wonderful story and a honour to have experienced the man's talent  RIP MIKE

Social source share

Sammy was a lovely old guy; been around in the music business since the Big Band era. Jacqui Kavanagh and I had a few great meals out with Sammy and his son Sammy Junior and Laura Greene. 

Tragically he died in a house fire at his sisters in Alabama shortly after we last saw him. Another legend sadly gone.

Social source share

3 hours ago, colouredman said:

Sammy was a lovely old guy; been around in the music business since the Big Band era. Jacqui Kavanagh and I had a few great meals out with Sammy and his son Sammy Junior and Laura Greene. 

Tragically he died in a house fire at his sisters in Alabama shortly after we last saw him. Another legend sadly gone.

Hi Tim,As Mike Terrys real name is Andrew.Ive always wondered where the name Mike came from. Do you have the answer to this? Cheers Chris. 

Social source share

On 29/01/2019 at 07:07, colouredman said:

Here's Sammy

sammy_lowe.jpg

doc-inductees.jpg

fig01 16.04.24.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!