Jump to content
  • Sign Up
BabyBoyAndMyLass

Nine Soul events in a ten mile radius?

Recommended Posts

Just heard about numbers being a bit low at Mojo soul clubs' event this weekend.

Nine on within ten miles has been the cause apparently! ūüėĮ

Shame cause it costs more money to put on a quality event than a c*** one, seems a bit t****** thing for promoters to do, rivalry perhaps? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really interested that you brought this up because I went to Mojo last night and it was indeed rather low on numbers. I didn't know there were that many events on though! (Soul source lists 3 in total).  One of the others was a quality event certainly because I've been there before, last time just before Christmas, and the two usually clash (it's difficult to put this without naming names - is that OK? I wasn't going to criticise any of them). I also know there was a "new" event, probably a bit more than 10 miles away which was sparsely advertised and the promoter did state it wasn't even a vinyl only one not listed on SS - I actually did consider going to that for part of the night but only because it was in the place I grew up and where my Mom and sister still live. In the end though I was too tired to try and do both so only went to Mojo. Still some great sets played from national name DJ's though. 

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

But little or nothing in London week after week... OK, the 100 Club pops up every month or two, but given the population and number of visitors in the capital at the weekend, there is very little going on. Perhaps the people north of Watford should be pleased with the number of events to choose from?

That said, it is plain bonkers to have too many events competing with each other in the same area at the same time. Fewer, but larger events are the way forward - people will travel to them and support them. Trouble is, everyone wants to be a DJ and self-promote their event resulting in a plethora of poorly attended, unsustainable venues.

Not applicable this far south of Watford either! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

But little or nothing in London week after week...

I'm regulary in London and rarely if anything on Monday to Friday, if I'm wrong great let me know

it's called Northern for a reason I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rarely anything on in the West Midlands in the week, but the lowest number on a Friday last year was two; the most was probably 7. Saturday nights never less than 4 events, not sure of the maximum but nine events does sound a hell of a lot though, especially as it's still really post Christmas and a lot of people don't get paid until next Thursday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

That said, it is plain bonkers to have too many events competing with each other in the same area at the same time. Fewer, but larger events are the way forward - people will travel to them and support them. Trouble is, everyone wants to be a DJ and self-promote their event resulting in a plethora of poorly attended, unsustainable venues.ÔĽŅ

It's hard to get it into perspective though as you obviously only have knowledge of the events you've actually been to - I've been to 4 this year which were fairly poorly attended; but being objective about it is it just A. People are broke/tired/danced out after Christmas, B. It's cold, wet, dark and people are depressed and can't be bothered to make the effort or C. Everyone is still going out but all want to try new events and are spread so thinly that everywhere is empty. I suspect it's a combination of A & B; on Saturday night at Mojo the few people I did know were regulars, many local so I think it's just people didn't want to travel rather than they all went to new events that weren't on Soul Source.

 

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

Trouble is like stated every dog and his dinner want to be a dj some spend a fortune on overplayed same old other spend on big ticket plays. But none have the balls to play  anything that's not played .Their all sheep wanting 5 minutes of fame. It doesn't have to cost a kings ransom to play a set of  underplayed or never played .It just takes a little knowledge .

I'm all for hearing rare and under played in a mix with more well known tunes , are you implying a set playing  all neverplayed and underplayed would have people breaking the doors down to get in, i need to be convinced of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to be positive, it isn't in my nature to p*** on others' parade. Usually I say nothing if I can't find anything positive to say.

I've just watched some footage of an event that was on at the weekend, and I have to say, it looked completely embarrassing, I'm not saying where it was or anything, just that, for all my moaning about how little is on in our area (West Cornwall) it does mean that we are spared the pitiful spectacle of the type of event that I have just witnessed. 

The events we do have are quality, from the big weekenders that attract a national crowd, to the small events put on by our local promoters, we are lucky in that we have class and quality.

It was awful and imo if the numerous events that clash elsewhere are of the quality I just watched then the better promoters in the area mentioned in the OP have very little to worry about. :hatsoff2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The events we do have are quality, from the big weekenders that attract a national crowd, to the small events put on by our local promoters, we are lucky in that we have class and quality.

It was awful and imo if the numerous events that clash elsewhere are of the quality I just watched then the better promoters in the area mentioned in the OP have very little to worry about. :hatsoff2:

Mojo is a top event - a lot of national and regional name DJ's there, Saturday was Ozz; the other one on the same night (about 7 miles away) was Gornal which is also a quality event - Dave Rimmer was there before Christmas along with Keith Morgan; also Saturday was Firs, which I've never been to but Dave Rimmer was there on Saturday too. So these are "proper" DJ's not top 500/100 and MP3's. Still love to know what the other 5 events were though! My point being that if these 3 are on why would anyone who's relatively clued up go somewhere else to hear House For Sale, I Wanna Give You Tomorrow, Tribute etc. 

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leicester boy said:

I'm all for hearing rare and under played in a mix with more well known tunes , are you implying a set playing¬† all neverplayed and underplayed would have people breaking the doors down to get in, i need to be convinced of that.¬†ÔĽŅ

Totally agree, the few places I've been locally that do that (Wolfies springs to mind) weren't exactly heaving (although the Green Rooms Hinckley was so maybe timing and publicity are big factors?). Dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chalky said:

 

Where was the event at the weekend?  One all-nighter just relaunched was pretty empty too by all accounts, one account from someone I trust yet the reviews by those involved implied the opposite.  More securtiy than punters come 4 or 5 o’clock.

something needs to happen soon, the scene is doing its level best to bugger itself up.  Sh*t holes for veneus, often free to hire, new events every week even thought they are not needed, clashing with sometime 3 or 4 venues in the same town on any given weekend. All it is doing is dividing loyalties, splitting the crowd.

I know many are getting disallusioned, myself included (have been for a while now).  

Sounds like the Mojo has lost its mojo, where is it anyway?

By the accounts I've heard the Mojo is a good event but this last one suffered as a result of the amount of clashing. Darlaston, so can't really be surprised that a lot of events on in the midlands like that.

The footage I saw, I'm not willing to say apart from it was one of the events that clashed with Mojo, and although I said what I saw was embarrassing, it seems like a lot of folks went to it, numbers were good and they were raving about it. Not for me though, but then I'm nobody so...

I just thought I'd mention it as there is a lot of talk on here about too many events on, and nine seemed a lot, and Mojo regulars said that attendances were down because of clashes. :hatsoff2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, professorturnups said:

Clueless! Why are people so desperate to put on an event (and dj) when they don't have proper records and have no consideration for established venues? Ego and money I guess. I am holding an event later in the year and was given various dates to choose from. I took a date that doesn't clash with the 100 Club because I know several of my crowd would be disappointed otherwise. I've been told that I overthink things(!) but just want to put on a quality event and it only takes a bit of preplanning and away you go...

Mark CūüėȬ†

There have been 3 posts in various Facebook groups in the last month from promoters wanting to put on a Northern Soul night for their venue. One said they knew a bit about it, two others didn't and probably thought it would make a change from ABBA night or the local Jam tribute act. Lots of people offered advice, some of it nonsense, but I guess it's just well meaning clueless venue owners looking for something different. 

 

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Timillustrator said:

There have been 3 posts in various Facebook groups in the last month from promoters wanting to put on a Northern Soul night for their venue. One said they know a bit about it, two others didn't and probably thought it would make a change from ABBA night or the local Jam tribute act. Lost of people offered advice, some of it nonsense, but I guess it's just well meaning clueless venue owners looking for something different. 

 

Yep, 'Northern' soul is the new go-to night with the emptynest/disposable income/#newlysinglelookingforlurve crowd so only to be expected really, everyone wants a piece of soulpie!

What irks me a bit is the 'new DJs' that have done a couple of gigs over the past few years and then when someone posts on fb about forgotten records they're like 'Oh I haven't forgotten, played it last week' yes but it was forgotten for the thirty-odd years since most of us heard it for the first time!

I'm not on fb before anyone asks, that's the Mrs' department!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

19 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

Rarely anything on in the West Midlands in the week, but the lowest number on a Friday last year was two; the most was probably 7. Saturday nights never less than 4 events, not sure of the maximum but nine events does sound a hell of a lot though, especially as it's still really post Christmas and a lot of people don't get paid until next Thursday.

10 or so venues in an area so large, not much at all compared to other areas. Within 30 minutes of Sheffield I counted 31 one weekend.  Manchester, over 70 within an hour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I'm not on fb before anyone asks,

very wise, me too, anyway was the event you mentioned the one from the 27th with The Snake playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shufflin said:

very wise, me too, anyway was the event you mentioned the one from the 27th with The Snake playing?

No, it wasn't. Haven't seen that one. I've nothing against The Snake now you mention it, I've always rated it as a good record, great beat to it and the story is quality...

I know I know, the Lambrini ad and all the negative stuff, I love the record but I wouldn't request it myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many Wanabee DJ's wanting to play out their expensively put together ebay collections that's taken them literally minutes to source. However given pretty much everyone on the scene now is also a Wanabee DJ they don't get any bookings, so they come up with the Baldrick-esk style cunning plan of Starting their own venue and Viola!, Another night of Ruby Andrews and Moses Smith for the Party Pensioners to get pi55ed at. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Too many Wanabee DJ's wanting to play out their expensively put together ebay collections that's taken them literally minutes to source. However given pretty much everyone on the scene now is also a Wanabee DJ they don't get any bookings, so they come up with the Baldrick-esk style cunning plan of Starting their own venue and Viola!, Another night of Ruby Andrews and Moses Smith for the Party Pensioners to get pi55ed at. 

The very same big-headed newbie DJs that have been around a handful of years that think they know it all cause 'I'm a DJ you know!'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my local area(East Midlands) I can easily find an event for Friday,Saturday,&Sunday afternoon almost every weekend.Since Xmas I have been to probably12 to 14 events and there is a huge difference in crowd size every week dep-ending on what is being played For example I have been to In comparison to two or three brilliant rare & underplayed events with attendances as low as 12 of us at an all dayer just after xmas, In comparison the regular monthly established venues that play top 200 that fill dance floors are always busy.this last weekend was typical ,Friday established venue ,well known D,Js at least 60 to 70,Saturday rare7 underplayed about 30 and yesterday afternoon established sunday afternoon venue at least 50 to 60,There are always multiple events but it seems the long running regular venues are holding their crowd numbers really well,trying to compete against them is almost impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look at this saturday,   Around Nottingham !      :   Alfreton, Underwood, Ilkeston - now there's another within a stones throw, Newstead wmc,(Annesley)

  ALL within a stones throw of each other !  

Edited by IanP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IanP said:

look at this saturday,    (Nottingham)    Soul shack, (Alfreton) - ATB, (Underwood) - Ilkeston - now there's another within a stones throw, Newstead wmc,(Annesley)

  ALL within a stones throw of each other !  

Does anyone think there is an answer though? Looking back there was a similar situation 10 years ago, has it substantially worsened? People have (here and elsewhere) suggested that venues should close down voluntarily or that there should be an exclusion of poor quality events not being able to advertise on soul source. There's nothing anyone can practically do except not go to the worst ones, on the other hand this probably makes little difference to them - they may attract a passing audience with little knowledge of soul music but who just like the sound of it, are less likely to dance and much more likely to spend behind the bar so the venue will win. Ironically the quality events attract an audience who will be prepared to travel and want to dance meaning they are less likely to be drinking and spend less behind the bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, planesoul said:

There are always multiple events but it seems the long running regular venues are holding their crowd numbers really well,trying to compete against them is almost impossible.ÔĽŅ

That's hopeful then, isn't it? Any ones over that way you can recommend? I'm getting a new car soon!

19 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Nine events

In an area ten miles wide

‚ÄėCause I know

That I have you by my side

Almost a haiku.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Does anyone think there is an answer though? Looking back there was a similar situation 10 years ago, has it substantially worsened? People have (here and elsewhere) suggested that venues should close down voluntarily or that there should be an exclusion of poor quality events not being able to advertise on soul source. There's nothing anyone can practically do except not go to the worst ones, on the other hand this probably makes little difference to them - they may attract a passing audience with little knowledge of soul music but who just like the sound of it, are less likely to dance and much more likely to spend behind the bar so the venue will win. Ironically the quality events attract an audience who will be prepared to travel and want to dance meaning they are less likely to be drinking and spend less behind the bar.

Thirsty work that dancin'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always read these 'too many events' threads, and feel your pain (Well I used to)

The word 'embarrassing' has been used, and it is - I don't care how good the music may be somewhere, if there's just a handful of us old men kicking around, I find it 'embarrassing', and don't want a part of it when it's like that.

I thought I'd past caring, but now you have me caring again - Yeh thanks for that! :dash2:

Len :thumbsup:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LEN said:

I always read these 'too many events' threads, and feel your pain (Well I used to)

The word 'embarrassing' has been used, and it is - I don't care how good the music may be somewhere, if there's just a handful of us old men kicking around, I find it 'embarrassing', and don't want a part of it when it's like that.

I thought I'd past caring, but now you have me caring again - Yeh thanks for that! :dash2:

Len :thumbsup:

The event in question that shall remain nameless, might've been alright, it was the video of It that was embarrassing Len, it could've been a case of the video painting the event in a bad light, I watched it and my heart did sink a little bit.

Sorry to have had to put you through that Len old son!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The event in question that shall remain nameless, might've been alright, it was the video of It that was embarrassing Len, it could've been a case of the video painting the event in a bad light, I watched it and my heart did sink a little bit.

Sorry to have had to put you through that Len old son!

I think it wise for you not to name the event as that would be unfair to them - Filming of events usually does nothing for the atmos that may be there, it's very hard to get that across on film / and the filming may be simply an empty part of an otherwise pretty busy room.

I've been to events (Again not naming them) many times over the years, where I have thought to myself 'What's the point?' They may as well just have a record session round someone's house for the amount of people there / Or of course - Just attend another event and add to their numbers through the door.

DO THE MATH! :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NEILO said:

The selfish promoters who put on an event that clashes with another venue in the area can do something!  They could show some consideration & respect for other venues already on, especially established nights.  They could also show some respect to the punters who now often endure below par events due to the crowds being split!  Won't happen though!  Too many people only interested in pushing their own agenda without any thought to the detrimental effect it is having. 

ATB

No apology required.

The scene is a business and everyone wants a slice, especially now it' so popular. Every DJ and promoter that ever spun a sound of any kind now has a collection of Soul records, they all want to play 'em and they all want to get a few bob out of it, simple economics.

Plus nowadays the coolest thing you can say for a Hipster of a certain age (apart from musician obvs) is 'I'm a Northern Soul DJ!'

That event I mentioned, or rather didn't mention, I kinda wish I'd said nothing, sure the vid looked embarrassing but the folks there were enjoying it, the screaming Hepcats 'em, and who am I to say what is embarrassing or not? Damn I dress up as Showaddywaddy and play in a golden oldies band in clubs, the more cheesy and embarrassing it is the more I likes it...

Bit ignorant and out of character for me to be so negative about something I knew so little about. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

No apology required.

The scene is a business and everyone wants a slice, especially now it' so popular. Every DJ and promoter that ever spun a sound of any kind now has a collection of Soul records, they all want to play 'em and they all want to get a few bob out of it, simple economics.

Plus nowadays the coolest thing you can say for a Hipster of a certain age (apart from musician obvs) is 'I'm a Northern Soul DJ!'

That event I mentioned, or rather didn't mention, I kinda wish I'd said nothing, sure the vid looked embarrassing but the folks there were enjoying it, the screaming Hepcats 'em, and who am I to say what is embarrassing or not? Damn I dress up as Showaddywaddy and play in a golden oldies band in clubs, the more cheesy and embarrassing it is the more I likes it...

Bit ignorant and out of character for me to be so negative about something I knew so little about. 

 

Don't worry about all that mate - You have made a valid point. And you haven't actually named that particular event, the discussion refers to lots of events as it were.

Keep it coming, you never know, doing so may do some good :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost inclined to post a topic about videoing at events - what are people's thoughts? There are more and more people doing this from their phone or with more sophisticated equipment and at least 2 YouTube channels just of footage filmed at NS events. There's not a jot anyone can do about it of course. 

Personally, and at the risk of offending people, I think that footage of (mostly) younger people energetically dancing to fast songs in the Blackpool competition type manner look good (especially if grainy and in black and white) whereas colour footage with the lights on of older people dancing sedately to slow tracks or the top 10 are not so attractive, or at the very least look like footage filmed at almost any wedding or 50th/60th Birthday party disco. I'll openly admit that's age-ist, size-ist and bald-ist but it's also probably a fact of life?

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

I'm almost inclined to post a topic about videoing at events - what are people's thoughts? There are more and more people doing this from their phone or with more sophisticated equipment and at least 2 YouTube channels just of footage filmed at NS events. There's not a jot anyone can do about it of course. 

Personally, and at the risk of offending people, I think that footage of (mostly) younger people energetically dancing to fast songs in the Blackpool competition type manner look good (especially if grainy and in black and white) whereas colour footage with the lights on of older people dancing sedately to slow tracks or the top 10 are not so attractive, or at the very least look like footage filmed at almost any wedding or 50th/60th Birthday party disco. I'll openly admit that's age-ist, size-ist and bald-ist but it's also probably a fact of life?

'Kick, clap, drop, spin' :wink:

See you on the other thread...

Len :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

No apology required.

The scene is a business and everyone wants a slice, especially now it' so popular. Every DJ and promoter that ever spun a sound of any kind now has a collection of Soul records, they all want to play 'em and they all want to get a few bob out of it, simple economics.

Plus nowadays the coolest thing you can say for a Hipster of a certain age (apart from musician obvs) is 'I'm a Northern Soul DJ!'

That event I mentioned, or rather didn't mention, I kinda wish I'd said nothing, sure the vid looked embarrassing but the folks there were enjoying it, the screaming Hepcats 'em, and who am I to say what is embarrassing or not? Damn I dress up as Showaddywaddy and play in a golden oldies band in clubs, the more cheesy and embarrassing it is the more I likes it...

Bit ignorant and out of character for me to be so negative about something I knew so little about. 

 

Showaddywaddy was my world until I heard Tim Tam and the Turn Ons. 

I was about 10yrs old thou. 

Hugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MsSoulie said:

Showaddywaddy was my world until I heard Tim Tam and the Turn Ons. 

I was about 10yrs old thou. 

Hugh

We change clothes half way through to Temptations style suits, white or baby blue and then it's onto the whole Spector hits and the sixties monster golden oldies, my arrangements and my reason for doing it, and the money obvs! :elvis:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o gosh lol just remembered why i dont come on here as much. REmember the cream always rises to the top, wasnt the same in  the early 70s, hardly any events, so brill, but yes I personally support Northern soul events keeping it real, not fantasy northern soul events, its not rocket science, lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smileys said:

wasnt the same in  the early 70s, hardly any events

all the records were more or less recent releases?? or new discoveries of not very old sounds ? decades later it's all different isn't it - maybe talk a bit about what floats your particular boat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ahhh Shufflin still trying to catch up lol, im like a mosquito in a nudist colony,  my early toons were wheel, torch, many i found record hunting, sammy ambrose on stateside, which went on to become a 100 club anthem in the 90s i think, in 1970   rnb was for all old folks lol, just getting to dem thousands of imports wigan,mecca, then i heard this bloody rnb toon, at the 21st centruy wheel and i went back to 1960 lol then of course their are the modern jazz funk, after 73 the younsters mainly hit wigan and i hit brass construction fat back band etc. ....so to be real honest Shufflin I find ns sends chills down me spine, some makes me cry, rnb makes me smile with its great lyrics, some of the great classics you been away etc makes me think what did i miss, absolutely loving the new toons as well, my sets normally represent this, cos in the crowds are folks from all the soul micro generations. Of course having got back into the scene, in 2010 odd i aint fed up with the classics, maybe the vets wouldnt be if they aint been booted lol i was brought up then to if its on blue stax you dont feeki play it on the yellow rerelease...i carry on that tradition today. love n peace always open minded always the gwasshopper when djing...been asked back to the Mojo, a real honour such a high standard xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



√ó

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.