mike

Manchester Soul Collective Celebrate Beatles Rooftop Concert 50

had the below sent in, a quick pass on follows as on tomorrow and may be of interest to some...

Manchester Soul Collective Celebrate Beatles Rooftop Concert 50th Anniversary

This week 50 years ago [30 January 1969], The Beatles performed in public for the final time on the roof of the group’s Apple Building in Saville Row, London, immortalised as the ‘rooftop concert’. This month, emerging Manchester soul collective The 7:45s commemorated the anniversary by reimagining the Beatles favourite “Don’t Let Me Down” as a floor-filling soul stomper in a live rooftop session overlooking the city's Northern Quarter.

Video 

Beatles tribute bands from around the world are slavishly re-enacting the concert with period-appropriate wigs and note-for-note covers. The 7:45s, on the other hand, have made “Don’t Let Me Down” their own, with a 14-piece arrangement featuring soulful three-part harmonies, a five-strong horn section and a groove inspired by William DeVaughn and Lauryn Hill.

The unique arrangement is the handiwork of Sam Flynn: the bandleader, bassist and songwriter for The 7:45s and a Beatles fanatic. It was Flynn who pitched the soulful take on the rooftop concert to the audio-video duo Word of Mouth, who have emulated the grain and ‘square’ aspect ratio of the original footage from the film Let It Be.

When asked why The 7:45s chose to cover “Don’t Let Me Down”, Flynn, a PhD musicology student, says: ‘it works so well in a soul style because it basically already is a soul song. The guitar riff, the chord sequence and the impassioned vocal are all characteristic of soul.’ Flynn continues enthusiastically: ‘rock and soul were developing at the same time and you can hear that in The Beatles’ music. For example, “Got to Get You Into My Life” is a like Motown single and Aretha Franklin’s cover of “Let It Be” came out before The Beatles’ version because McCartney wanted her to sing it. So doing “Don’t Let Me Down” in a soul style makes perfect sense!’

Named after the 7-inch 45-rpm single, The 7:45s formed in late 2016 with the manifesto pledge to release original singles in styles that span the soul spectrum: from northern soul to disco and everything in between. The burgeoning collective features some of Manchester’s finest musicians who have played with soul royalty like Martha Reeves and rising stars like Tom Misch.

The 7:45s are performing “Don’t Let Me Down” live at a funk and soul celebration of The Beatles this Wednesday 30th January: the day of the rooftop anniversary. Also performing are nine-piece funk band Buffalo Brothers who are covering “Get Back” and DJ Coops who will be spinning funky Beatles covers on vinyl.

The event is taking place at The Klondyke, a historic Bowling & Social Club in Levenshulme. Tickets are £5 on the door.

Please contact thesevenfortyfives@gmail.com or Sam Flynn (07923435301) for interviews and more information.

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/The745s

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/The745s

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.