Rocky

Soul dancing

Anybody know anything about the origins of northern dancing? It was already prevalent at the Torch when I went so was wondering if maybe at the Wheel?

This is the earliest video I've ever seen with 'proper' dancing on it (see the bloke on the left at 1:10) so maybe started as early as Mods?

On 29/01/2019 at 15:46, Rocky said:

Anybody know anything about the origins of northern dancing? It was already prevalent at the Torch when I went so was wondering if maybe at the Wheel?

This is the earliest video I've ever seen with 'proper' dancing on it (see the bloke on the left at 1:10) so maybe started as early as Mods?

Topic has been covered before on Soul Source. Could be that some of the top U.S. soul acts of the mid-to-late 60’s such as Major Lance and James Brown displayed a shuffling style of footwork. The showmanship of their contemporaries threw up back-drops and splits etc that were adopted in the earliest British clubs such as the Twisted Wheel.

The dancers featured in the clip are an invited audience bopping freestyle. The character you point out who exhibits moves commonly seen at Northern venues is simply moving with the minimum of effort in a very basic pattern. The earliest soul dance styles in Britain were pretty energetic by all accounts.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.