How many events?

Looking at how many events are being held nowadays, posing a question for people who do still attend events.

How many events do you personally attend per year? How many would you class as 'doing it to death'?

While you're at your answers, what kind of events, dayer, niter, weekender, smallish local soul nite or bigger soul nite in a big venue, national or local?

Social source share

7 minutes ago, chalky said:

I don’t count but I no longer go out for the sake if a night out.  I am pretty choosey these days. I can stop in for a few weeks the. Have a spurt where I am out for three ir fiur weekes running. I no longer worry if nothing takes my fancy and work no longer allws me to hammer it. 

Just what we where talking about on Saturday night mate. Very choosey as to where I play out these days.  Still tend to prefer nighters ( grumpy soul and Willington  apart )  because in my opinion there's more of a chance to hear the lesser played stuff. 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just what we where talking about on Saturday night mate. Very choosey as to where I play out these days.  Still tend to prefer nighters ( grumpy soul and Willington  apart )  because in my opinion there's more of a chance to hear the lesser played stuff. 

Steve 

I think we should go back to a midnight finish 😂😂😂 the recovery time is a killer now 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Young wimps 🤣

😂

1 minute ago, WoodButcher said:

It was the eight hours sat on my arse in the driving seat there and back that killed me , I'm on my feet from dawn 'til dusk and sitting's never agreed with me ... that's my excuse anyway ... lol

I’m actually ok this week, surprisingly.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Looking at how many events are being held nowadays, posing a question for people who do still attend events.

How many events do you personally attend per year? How many would you class as 'doing it to death'?

While you're at your answers, what kind of events, dayer, niter, weekender, smallish local soul nite or bigger soul nite in a big venue, national or local?

I walked out of Oddfellows anniv Niter,   1984 and vowed that was my last one!     it was,   until i went to Kings Hall,  in 97 .  I'm  still here ,   just. 

the last few years ive done 100's of soul nights,   hand bagger nights (no disrespect,  its a term we all relate to),  Niters,  Classic oldies,  Rare stuff etc.  last week i went to a venue that concentrates on underplayed and forgotten oldies.    it was true to form,   i heard stuff that i hadnt for many years,   plus loads of stuff that was new to me.   the attendance was very good,  the club layout was ideal, i shall go again.      but answer to the original question,  I dont do a great deal,   i still enjoy going,   but i pick the ones that really take my fancy,   one weekender a year (plus Charity soul if required), couple of niters and a few nights here n there.  nothing like what i used to do , a few years back

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Although I will make the effort occasionally, it's not as near as much as I used to - Kids growing fast / business to run so need to be 'tip top', as well as not wanting to constantly go over the same old ground again and again (I do miss that feeling of it being the most important thing in my life though)

We have the music at home of course, but nothing beats doing it as I used to.

Presently no longer 'a way of life' for me that's all :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, planesoul said:

I usually do Friday,Saturday & Sunday afternoon most weeks and this week all three are within 15 miles of home.I am nearly 70 years old now so I have retired from allnighters but still do the odd all dayer.Ido weekenders all over the U.K.,Prestatyn,Blackpool,Torquay,Bridlington&Whitby booked so far this year

Wow! Brilliant still enjoying it!

Good on you Sir! :hatsoff2: 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Kathryn Magson said:

but equally unhappy with some of the younger ones who feel we should leave the scene cos we're past it.

Does that really happen!? That's appalling. I find the vast majority of people at the vast majority of events are in their 50's or over. There are a few with younger people but they are always less than say 30% - if the older people went there'd be no one left. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Does that really happen!? That's appalling. I find the vast majority of people at the vast majority of events are in their 50's or over. There are a few with younger people but they are always less than say 30% - if the older people went there'd be no one left. 

It DOES happen, but not very often I glad to say. A few of the younger ones seem to want to take over the whole scene & shove us oldies out of the way. As for me ....I'm going nowhere lol  

Overheard one younger guy mutter "f------g sh-te" as he pushed his way past me when the DJ played an old Marvin Gaye track from the 60s. How can anyone say that about Marvin Gaye? I wanted to punch his ;lights out lol

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kathryn Magson said:

It DOES happen, but not very often I glad to say. A few of the younger ones seem to want to take over the whole scene & shove us oldies out of the way. As for me ....I'm going nowhere lol  

Overheard one younger guy mutter "f------g sh-te" as he pushed his way past me when the DJ played an old Marvin Gaye track from the 60s. How can anyone say that about Marvin Gaye? I wanted to punch his ;lights out lol

Kathryn, its been happening for as long as I can remember really. I went to a Niter in Droylsden back in the early 90's, when my good friend Greg Pollitt (RIP) was DJing. He decided to play an hour long Wheel set, and first up, to my delight, was "Soothe Me". I immediately overheard a younger guy say "what the f*** is this sh*te", or words to that effect. The very same guy who hadn't started on the scene until Stafford, and was of the opinion that all which had gone before was garbage. No accounting for taste, or manners, unfortunately!

And here's an apology also. I was guilty of saying pretty much the very same thing when at the Mecca early 74, on hearing Levine spinning those bloody David and the Giants things for the first time!

But as you say, thankfully these are indeed rare occasions. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

I haven’t witnessed any young uns attempting to force the older lot out of the way, the opposite IMO.  There simply  isn’t enough youngsters to do this.

It's not so much trying to force us oldies out - more a case of them looking down on anyone older.  Most of us can't dance as well as we used to - some of the younger ones will spin & backdrop etc with a smirk on their faces & try to take over the dance floor, leaving no room for others. I've sat & watched them do it - I quite enjoy just watching a busy dance floor. 

Having said all this - most of the younger end that I've met are nice & get on well with everyone regardless of age - room for all of us I reckon. I know a few oldies too that object to the younger end being there...…..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!