The most hated song on the scene. Is this it?

Tomangoes

'The Most Hated'  song,  was the question.     the only way to do it , is a poll,   not individual choices.

i can listen to the snake any day of the week, AW is a fabulous singer.     but some songs i cant bear !   Bad vocals do it for me,    so Margaret little,(awful vocals, superb arr.)   The Deadbeats (flat as a witches tit),  Antellects (sounds like its off centre), Martha Reeves 😆,  William Powell (more awful vocals). .    and a few more,   even instrumentals like Interplay send me to the bar .  I know we all have differing tastes,   this is just my opinion on Vocals,  nothing more

some of these are big ticket rare,    we can see/hear why .......  So lets start a poll 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, shinehead said:

A record to be played out never , but when I play AL Wilsons  ''Searching For The Dolphins'' Lp the song takes on a new light and sounds great amongst the rest of this great Lp.  

I must dig out my copy of the LP and give it a spin. Thanks for the 'heads up'

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, IanP said:

'The Most Hated'  song,  was the question.     the only way to do it , is a poll,   not individual choices.

i can listen to the snake any day of the week, AW is a fabulous singer.     but some songs i cant bear !   Bad vocals do it for me,    so Margaret little,(awful vocals, superb arr.)   The Deadbeats (flat as a witches tit),  Antellects (sounds like its off centre), Martha Reeves 😆,  William Powell (more awful vocals). .    and a few more,   even instrumentals like Interplay send me to the bar .  I know we all have differing tastes,   this is just my opinion on Vocals,  nothing more

some of these are big ticket rare,    we can see/hear why .......  So lets start a poll 

Martha really couldn't sing, but on some tunes she can just about carry it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My votes with Aw great artist  awful tune  you just know what's coming when you hear  northern soul mentioned on radio 2 as for Margaret little vocal bit shaky in parts  but that's because she was probably  mid teens and those whom slag it off probably have it at the top of their wants list if truth be known

Social source share

I would have thought the only places that records such as ''The Snake''  and '' Tribute ''  get played are holiday weekender type gigs which are hardly or nothing to do with real deal.

I have not heard  ''The Snake'' anywhere in the last 30 years or more.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

4 hours ago, IanP said:

i can listen to the snake any day of the week, AW is a fabulous singer.     but some songs i cant bear !   Bad vocals do it for me,    so Margaret little,(awful vocals, superb arr.)   The Deadbeats (flat as a witches tit),  Antellects (sounds like its off centre), Martha Reeves 😆William Powell (more awful vocals). .    and a few more,   even instrumentals like Interplay send me to the bar .  I know we all have differing tastes,   this is just my opinion on Vocals,  nothing more

What "William Powell" is the one you refer to? The one member of The O'Jays who dies in 1977…) If is the case, IMHO, ONE OF THE BEST AND UNIQUE FALSETO VOICES (and so underrated)

Edited by josep manuel concernau robles
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, shinehead said:

I would have thought the only places that records such as ''The Snake''  and '' Tribute ''  get played are holiday weekender type gigs which are hardly or nothing to do with real deal.

I have not heard  ''The Snake'' anywhere in the last 25 years or more.

We do two weekenders a year, local cause we live in a holiday resort. We don't get either of those two played.

Social source share

31 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The Snake. Al Wilson at his absolute best imo! 

it has great backing vocal harmonies. The arrangement is wonderful, the two chord thing D minor to A suspended, genius, it shifts up a key for the climax to E major and B7 which is always a great feature, the Bass is some of the most driving bass in the canon, it's descending runs and the bouncy bubbly funky main riff is to die for! The simple chinking guitar is the stuff that todays' rhythm guitarists wake up at night in a cold sweat over, been dreaming they could play like that!     Those drum fills, the tuning of the drums in pitch with the bass so that they descend in the same way as the descending bass runs are marvellous!

i could'nt have put it better myself ! 

it used to be our 'go to' song, when i played it in a band a few years back....     want to get a crowd on their feet?    Do a rendition of 'The Snake'   

Fabulous record,     frowned upon by many (for good reason im sure),  but i like it ! 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

What "William Powell" is the one you refer to? The one member of The O'Jays who dies in 1977…) If is the case, IMHO, ONE OF THE BEST AND UNIQUE FALSETO VOICES (and so underrated)

I'm not sure if it is the O'jays William Powell .    unless someone can confirm ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The most hated song on the scene? Jesus wept, where do you go on this one! There are so many! The one which immediately springs to mind personally is the Strangeloves, "Night time". A godawful piece of junk which stands out among so many others being played today. 

The Snake? I concur with Babyboy. It may be cringeworthy to some, especially today, and may also be so played out as to make even its most ardent admirer sick to the back teeth. However......

......if you were on the scene in 74, which, unfortunately, I understand many members were not, then you will have danced your tits off to The Snake on more occasions than you can remember. It was massive. Nor will you have complained about its quality, or lack of, nor its suitability. There are, however, several tunes played at the same time which could, quite rightly, be viewed as the most hated. My Hearts Symphony anyone? Surrounded by a ray of sunshine perhaps? Or instrumentals such as Condition Red or the theme from Joe90? And that's without trying to think! 

In conclusion, even though The Snake is a bit naff, it's surely far from being the most hated. And far from being the worst tune played in 74, never mind ever.

Oh, and hearing it out? I came back to the scene in the mid 90's, and since then haven't heard it played anywhere. Therefore, the last time I heard it played at any venue must have been about 44 years ago! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

31 minutes ago, IanP said:

I'm not sure if it is the O'jays William Powell .    unless someone can confirm ?

Thanks for your response; definitely is not the same, this voice have nothing in common with the oone of Bill (or William) Powell from The O'Jays… He never was a solo artist. I f you hear some O'Jays tunes where he sang lead you can appreciate it, IMHO a unique falsetto: "Working In Your Case" is the most paradigmatic:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I do not attend gigs anymore so I am out of touch, so records like the '' DJ GENESIS'' f**k up of the Betty Wright coming of age classic are filling dance floors at certain so called northern soul gigs ?

If so the next time I do drag my ass out I will be doing my homework to make sure I do not have to endure such crap.  

Edited by shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I've never heard it out at a ns do, my point was that if someone likes bob sinclair then they might actually find this a bit more soulful. I wouldn't want to hear either at a ns do but i quite like playing the dj genesis when I am in a 'soulful house' mood at home.

Edited by bbrich
corrected
Social source share

2 minutes ago, bbrich said:

I've never heard it out at a ns do, my point was that if someone likes bob sinclair then they might actually find this a bit more soulful. I wouldn't want to either at a ns do but i quite like playing the dj genesis when I am in a 'soulful house' mood.

It was Tomangoes who alluded to the playing of this record and it been a floor filler thus his '' TSWONS '' .

Social source share

3 minutes ago, shinehead said:

I do not attend gigs anymore so I am out of touch, so records like the '' DJ GENESIS'' f**k up of the Betty Wright coming of age classic are filling dance floors at certain so called northern soul gigs ?

If so the next time I do drag my ass out I will be doing my homework to make sure I do not have to endure such crap.  

You would have thought, and it certainly may be the case, that some events have a strict music policy to ensure a certain standard is maintained. 

You know quality sounds on original recorded format etc etc.

Problem is there's no consensus on what ' quality ' defines itself as.

I've been to the undred club where I heard an hour of top top tunes followed by an hour of slow tempo suicidal 60s dross followed by a salsa inspired Latino hour.... All filling the dance floor.

Don't forget Searling played my hearts symphony quite a few times ' early on'.

I think the only way to deal with it, is to stay away, or don't take it serious.

I got into a real heated argument a few years ago at a ' only soul' event when some ska got played out.

Now Ska is not soul to me, but it must be to others as the floor was packed.

Ed

Social source share

Just now, chalky said:

What a joke of antopic.  Some of the records, well just about all ram evry dance floor somhow on earth can they be hated.  Ones personal taste I can understand but to say a record such as Margaret Little is one of the most hated is just plain daft.  It may not be the most soulful, ot may not be the best record ever but by eck it rams the floor, its great northern soul. 

Couldn't agree more Chalky, lovely side!

Social source share

Guest Soul Hippy

Couple of observations,

Al Wilson footage is historic and a great artist in his prime, appreciate it for what it is. 

William Powell, exactly what the label says, Powerhouse.

O'Jays superb.

The thing is we all differ on our views  far better use of time is finding new stuff you haven't heard before and singing

its praises. Talking the music up!

Very difficult to fathom this 'Find the negative' mindset,  finding the positive is more rewarding and much more interesting to read!

Social source share