The most hated song on the scene. Is this it?

Tomangoes

Guest Shufflin

maybe a thread on current fav / or current big soul sounds, on any format (mp3/stream/vinyl/cd whatever), I like listening to a lot of Mixcloud stuff

be good to hear what people like listening to out and about but also at home etc, doesn't need to have anything to do with OVO or showing off a collection

Social source share

I remember a few years ago being at Soul in the Sun Tenerife and getting intrrviewed by Radio Stoke.....

3 of us were asked what we thought was the best all time Northern Soul record.

I was the whipasnapper...being younger than the other two. I was amazed when one guy picked Gone with the wind is my love...

A great record but in truth the guy had left the scene before Rita's stomper was ever played. He simply said as a born again soulie, this tune beat anything he had ever heard! 

The point is after quite a while of having the opportunity of picking the tune you ' dislikes' most, we've turned up less than a dozen choices...

I can imagine many many more choices for the tune you like most....but yes bring it on!

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Funnily enough just watched a British independent cinema film entitled 'The Goob' in it there were a scene where all't European immigrant farm workers were 'avin a parteh. 

Guess what they were all dancing to in the Norfolk countryside roadside café? It went something like: 'Ere I yam on bended knees I'm beggin' darlin'... Summat lark tha! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

9 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Funnily enough just watched a British independent cinema film entitled 'The Goob' in it there were a scene where all't European immigrant farm workers were 'avin a parteh. 

Guess what they were all dancing to in the Norfolk countryside roadside café? It went something like: 'Ere I yam on bended knees I'm beggin' darlin'... Summat lark tha! :hatsoff2:

Great track

Social source share

2 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

@gogs

No it weren't 'Do you want me to get down on my knees beg you baby please cry a million tears'...

It were 'Here I am on bended knees I'll lay my heart down at your feet now do I love you'...

sorry Babyboy getting my tracks muddled up. I blame old age 😳

Social source share

On 01/02/2019 at 14:38, Firecrest said:

Blimey O'Reilly, Such passions for tunes that people don't like. Might as well have my tuppence worth.

Apologies to all Palace and Blackpool FC fans but really didn't rate this back in the day or tomorrow for that matter.  There's a version by Kenny Bernard that hasn't even made it to You Tube which ain't great.

Was there a version by Kenny Bernard, or are you mistaking the Pye Disco Demand release with Leon Young on one side, and Kenny Bernard, What Love Brings on the other.?

Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:15, tomangoes said:

The point is after quite a while of having the opportunity of picking the tune you ' dislikes' most, we've turned up less than a dozen choices...

I agree and with that in mind I'm looking at finishing this thread off and moving to the more positive end.

Glad to see this one didn't quite turn into a catalogue of records that different people vaguely dislike, which it will do if we're not careful.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I can see why you might not want that, but all the same there are regular comments and agreement on these throughout the forum about the dire quality of some records that managed or still manage to fill floors on the scene. A thread like this might be more useful if there would be some kind of insight as to why e.g. Tribute should be so popular, when there are so many better properly soulful tunes out there that don't get a look in. Going back a bit, why would a record as (to my ears at least) transparently terrible as that Pierre Hunt nonsense have been acceptable to dancers who might otherwise take the hump at records with a far more soulful pedigree?  I get the novelty of Joe 90, but there are some records that filled floors despite having no obvious joke value, never mind soulful content.

It's also interesting to see how opinions diverge sharply over someone like Helen Shapiro. If we can discuss it rather than just post something simply to slag it off then is that not a good use of the forum?

Before the gates are locked once and for all, is there anyone on here who has while deejaying ever played out any of the above nominations? If so, why? What sort of crowd gets down to them, do you get down to them, is there something we're missing, are we all just mindless snobs? :g:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, chalky said:

It probably would have done if one or two hadn’t said something.  The first page alone was turning into that.  The trouble is these topics simply turn into ones personal opinion and not “the scenes most hated”. I doubt The Snake or Frank Wilson are hated by the vast majority, just a few on here shouting the loudest. People might be sick of hearing thenm but seriously hated?

Spot on chalky. The major problem being people tend to fall in line when a particular record falls out of love on the scene. Frank wilson, the snake ,what, helen Shapiro who made some great dance records for a scene that for me is dance based. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Leicester boy said:

Spot on chalky. The major problem being people tend to fall in line when a particular record falls out of love on the scene. Frank wilson, the snake ,what, helen Shapiro who made some great dance records for a scene that for me is dance based. 

Lyrically the snake is brilliant, great dance record too, same for Frank.  But it wouldn’t bother me if I never heard them again.  I don’t hate either but just sick of the exposure they have had. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Looking back on the thread  ' The Snake'' came out very well  apart from the thread opener most people seemed to have a soft spot for the record .

I do not want to hear it often but that is the case with loads of records as with Frank Wilson a victim of its own success because they are records that also appeal with the general public.

As for ''Tribute'' f**ck all to do with soul of any kind , wedding do fodder.

Edited by shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, gogger said:

Think after a few pints at a wedding or a do I might get up and do a bit of dad dancing, it’s a good party tune , northern soul never 😲👍

Coming to this late but , The Snake does nothing for me .

I first heard Bob Sinclair when I walked into the Queen Vic room at Prestatyn a few years ago , lots of dancers and I was bitten . I didn't; know and still don't care that its a bit of  a mash up put out by a French rave DJ/Producer ,once you get past the cheesy intro I find its uplifting and  way more soulful than some of the Wigan stompers I suffered in the 'hey day' . It also pulled a packed dance floor, fortunately like me they were ignorant or ignoring the Soul Police. Its NEVER going to be my stand out record but each to their own  . a late candidate for this thread might be.. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share