Thoughts on Re-edits of Northerrn Soul tracks?

Guest Shufflin

Guest Shufflin

got the original version and was surprised to see this come out, adds in 'hand clapping' and more of a chugging beat? what do you think of these re-edits?  I think Joy Lovejoy was re-done by someone else last year

Social source share

Interesting, pointless and horrible! A bit like remakes of classic films like Alfie, The Italian Job, Get Carter (and 1,000's of others) may introduce it to a new audience but the people doing it would be better off spending their time doing something original rather than trying to "improve" the past. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I guess if somebody actually made a really great tinkered version over the original, it might work, but I've yet to hear such an example.

Obviously tunes have different versions by different singers ( When I'm gone - had a nice version by bonnie pointer for example) and or even instrumentals get words added in (Like the  Bird walking vocal), but it's what it's been done just for the Northern Soul scene's benefit, it winds everybody up.

It's a no from me.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the new Temptations re-edit is not bad imo (label is FLIP-006), they've definitely remixed the vocals / harmonies and it's an interesting take on a classic

Edited by Shufflin
can't spell
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!