Davey S profile photo

Reel to reel + Other Old Junk!

Freebasing Davey S

Posted

Hi , just wondering if anyone on here dabbles with reel to reel machines and can recommend a descent first purchase so I can play a few tapes . Dave.

• Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Dave I've got a Sony reel to reel - visual they are the nuts - record a few sounds into the tape - then when you're mates come round put it on as background music - people can't take there eyes off the spinning reels great conversation item great old school stuff - there a pain sometimes but once set up great - saw this on evil bay - have fun

IMG_9714.PNG

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for the reply been looking on eBay but it does seem quite a gamble.  

soul source url
Posted

I'm a collector/hoarder/restorer of all sorts of stuff. I have the same impulses with these things as I do for mechanical one-arm bandits. I've probably had fifty or so reel to reels, last one I did was an old Grundig similar to the one in the ebay listing I'm attaching to this, if they are vintage always listen to the recording on the tape before you do anything with it, could be anything from an early demo tape of The Beatles to a practise speech by a top Head of state! 

They are huge fun, if you can solder, fix electric motors and clean the heads you are laughing as long as you don't spend too much. If it comes with an old DIN Mic then keep that it'll come in useful for future reel to reels should you get heavily into them!

As the earlier poster said, put some good old soul records on tape, play 'em to your younger Hipster mates for that super-cool reputation as a Hipster/recycler/connoisseur of interesting old stuff!

I have one coming in soon, bought unseen from an old rocker, reckoned to be late 1950s not working, has two reels one with tape on it, twenty quid, definitely profit in it, these things have a relatively small list of common faults, soon as he digs it out of his shed he's bring it! Bring it on, can't wait to see what it is!

Put the starting bid on this one... Lovely old machine says fully working condition, can't lose if you just bet the starting bid. 

Actually scrap that last bit, I fancy a bid on it myself! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neat-Vintage-Tape-Recorder-Reel-to-Reel-Valve-Grundig-TK8-Nice-Condition-working/192805009982?hash=item2ce412fa3e:g:Bq0AAOSw1llcTMZR:rk:21:pf:0

gr.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Excellent stuff cheers for the info .

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I have this one

ts340.jpg

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
42 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

I have this one

Nice model, another Grundig? Late 1960s or early 70s I'm guessing, Valve or Transistor?

Looking at this thread I'm a bit annoyed that I don't have a machine at the moment, hope that guy hurries up with mine, might keep the next nice one I get, make some more cool old music tapes, my lass says if I keep one it'll end up like my records and my record player, gathering dust and never used! 

Try to explain to her that if you don't have these things at home you'll never get the pleasure out of them, whereas if you have them you have the option, sometimes women don't get that, but then she buys a nice outfit and nice shoes, wears 'em once so...!

The Mrs: 'I'm sick of living in a scrapyard/guitarshop/secondhand shop!'...

Me: 'I'm sick of sleeping in a womens' clothes and shoeshop!' :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

My dad was a bit of an audiophile and would build amps and speakers from kits. One of his early tape machines was a British Ferrograph. A beast of a machine, heavy, solid and built to last, which it did ,but I sold it about ten years ago, fetched a decent price. He then got an Akai like the one in the photo. At the time I think this must have been considered one of the best. I've got it now but it's boxed up in the loft , I'm not sure if I'll ever use it but worth keeping for now. Gave away loads of his tapes. My grandad had a Grundig which I used for a while but I don't remember it being great.

When I was about 12 I had a tiny reel to reel machine which I used to tape programs from the radio and records . Still got the tapes but they didn't sound much good when I last played them. I recorded Mike Raven's R n B and Soul show on Sunday nights but always stopped recording when Mike came on. If only I had just taped the whole show they would have been a lot more interesting.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I'm a collector/hoarder/restorer of all sorts of stuff. I have the same impulses with these things as I do for mechanical one-arm bandits. I've probably had fifty or so reel to reels, last one I did was an old Grundig similar to the one in the ebay listing I'm attaching to this, if they are vintage always listen to the recording on the tape before you do anything with it, could be anything from an early demo tape of The Beatles to a practise speech by a top Head of state! 

They are huge fun, if you can solder, fix electric motors and clean the heads you are laughing as long as you don't spend too much. If it comes with an old DIN Mic then keep that it'll come in useful for future reel to reels should you get heavily into them!

As the earlier poster said, put some good old soul records on tape, play 'em to your younger Hipster mates for that super-cool reputation as a Hipster/recycler/connoisseur of interesting old stuff!

I have one coming in soon, bought unseen from an old rocker, reckoned to be late 1950s not working, has two reels one with tape on it, twenty quid, definitely profit in it, these things have a relatively small list of common faults, soon as he digs it out of his shed he's bring it! Bring it on, can't wait to see what it is!

Put the starting bid on this one... Lovely old machine says fully working condition, can't lose if you just bet the starting bid. 

Actually scrap that last bit, I fancy a bid on it myself! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neat-Vintage-Tape-Recorder-Reel-to-Reel-Valve-Grundig-TK8-Nice-Condition-working/192805009982?hash=item2ce412fa3e:g:Bq0AAOSw1llcTMZR:rk:21:pf:0

gr.jpg

Item Location: The Berghof, Bavaria

Looks like something out of Hitler's HiFi setup.

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

Item Location: The Berghof, Bavaria

Looks like something out of Hitler's HiFi setup.

Steve old son, it's in Farnham.

Lovely thing, don't you like vintage audio equipment then?

I'd have thought you would, having SS as your avatar, he probably records on that kind of gear.

soul source url
Posted

I've one in the loft which was my father-in-law's, complete with loads of 1960's pop recordings. I even managed to find a proper release on Motown at a car boot about 15 years ago...

ft.jpg.3941c621ce3349fb52cfd4f7d09c8d8f.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
10 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Steve old son, it's in Farnham.

Lovely thing, don't you like vintage audio equipment then?

I'd have thought you would, having SS as your avatar, he probably records on that kind of gear.

I earned the moniker Seasick Steve when I was the only General Service ex matelot working with a load of ex RAF and Fleet Air Arm types on the Nimrod MRA4 project.  Basically, I was an ex marine engineer amongst a group of aircraft engineers.  With regards to vintage audio equipment, my oldest bit of kit still in use is a Revolver Turntable, probably 1980's vintage.

20190202_094848.thumb.jpg.3fb64fb2d46cc49e2bf871b52b3e4906.jpg

soul source url
Posted
20 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I earned the moniker Seasick Steve when I was the only General Service ex matelot working with a load of ex RAF and Fleet Air Arm types on the Nimrod MRA4 project.  Basically, I was an ex marine engineer amongst a group of aircraft engineers.  With regards to vintage audio equipment, my oldest bit of kit still in use is a Revolver Turntable, probably 1980's vintage.

I knew you were a Sea-faring man, so that makes sense.

Nice turntable, I have nothing like that, used to, chucked my Kenwood stuff a long time ago, even binned my Marantz CD deck. Went over to a pc connected to a Panasonic thing, again recycled, it does my needs now. For records I have a vintage mono Dansette Conquest, I find it sounds fantastic with my mono 45s. Never did understand the point of playing Lo-Fi mono slices through a sophisticated modern Hi-Fi, the oldies 45s weren't engineered for that equipment. When I want a bit more umph I lineout into a vintage Vox 50 watt bass amp, sounds stellar!

I have loads of stuff lying around of all kinds. Some I refurb then sell, I do retain some interesting pieces though, too many probably according to my lady! :hatsoff2:

010vox50.jpg

009vox50.jpg

018vox50.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Our wives are right we are weird it's like Antiques Road show good replies though .

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Davey S said:

Our wives are right we are weird it's like Antiques Road show good replies though .

Rubbish! It's the wives that are weird! Just looking at that last pic of the finished refurb, on the 1970s gas fire there are a WW2 Artillery Shell, a Paraffin push bike headlamp and a WW2 Pineapple grenade visible, modern touches are the Complete Shangri-Las on CD and the Whyte & Mckaye bottle, oops! Might be an idea to alter the thread title to include any other vintage stuff of interest, might make a nice thread?

Never know I might be able to whet someones' appetite for buying something nice off me...

Have I mentioned I have a barn full of Mark 1 Land-Rovers? Oh yes I might have mentioned that already! :wicked:

Have you bought one yet? A reel to reel?

soul source url
Posted

You could be right about the wives mine collects sand from beaches she has little containers of the stuff with location etc oh and I'm bidding on a chemist set of brass weights because they look smart .

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

20190202_112428.thumb.jpg.5db8023982d68467c3c39b43f8de5bb8.jpg Sand from all over the world .

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I knew you were a Sea-faring man, so that makes sense.

Nice turntable, I have nothing like that, used to, chucked my Kenwood stuff a long time ago, even binned my Marantz CD deck. Went over to a pc connected to a Panasonic thing, again recycled, it does my needs now. For records I have a vintage mono Dansette Conquest, I find it sounds fantastic with my mono 45s. Never did understand the point of playing Lo-Fi mono slices through a sophisticated modern Hi-Fi, the oldies 45s weren't engineered for that equipment. When I want a bit more umph I lineout into a vintage Vox 50 watt bass amp, sounds stellar!

I have loads of stuff lying around of all kinds. Some I refurb then sell, I do retain some interesting pieces though, too many probably according to my lady! :hatsoff2:

010vox50.jpg

009vox50.jpg

018vox50.jpg

I do enjoy taking things to bits. Last week I changed three pairs of bearings on a custom built set of potters wheels.  A young lady and her partner drove all the way up from Swansea to collect them so I had to make sure they were all in working order.  Should be good for another twenty years now.  Just finished ripping apart a gas tumble dryer that had stopped working.  Needs a new solenoid coil for one of the gas valves.  Luckily I can get one off ebay for £25.  A new tumble dryer is £325.  Too many people just throw stuff away the minute it stops working.  Nice to see all these volunteer repair fairs popping up.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

This is the first turntable that I had,

I use it sometimes just to clean old records

20170608_161125.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Purchased this reel to reel year's ago still sealed been dying to play .

It's true people are wasteful plus you get sick of these millennials and ' tipsters ' bleeting on about ' up-cycling , makes you cringe.

20190202_144353.jpg

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Davey S said:

Sand from all over the world .

Oh I see you meant your post about Sand littoral-ly haha, if yer don't get the pun ask yer mrs! 

5 hours ago, Davey S said:

Purchased this reel to reel year's ago still sealed been dying to play .

I'd buy one just to listen to that Tammi reel! That is a sweet piece!

Eh? Whats that about 'tipsters' and 'up-cycling'...?

Did you mean Hipsters? Isn't that precisely how I described myself and my 'up-cycling' activities?

Now I'm confused! LoL. 

soul source url
Posted

Nice thread!..

I'm very interested in most things tape related, along with a few other like minded enthusiasts/anoraks that I know.

It's boomboxes and tape decks mostly that are a real passion of mine..i use a very nice Sony tape machine from the 1970's for my own music projects,it sounds terrific, with a lot of warmth and nice saturation, a mate kindly donated it to me when he sold off his recording studio a couple of years ago .

I've been thinking of getting a proper set of reels lately though,something along the lines of an  Akai 4000DS reel to reel deck as it turns out that this particular Akai also has the right features for tape delay too :-)..it is a 3-Head tape deck, so the tape passes 3 heads in the transport:

Some specs for any fellow nerds here!

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/4000ds.shtml?page=1

Don't want to get too technical here but its kinda ironic that a lot of producers are now using VST's which are computer  programs that emulate vintage recording equipment.

I was in the studio around a fortnight back and the engineer had an amazing collection of them including a pro high end reel to reel emulator which was modelled on one from Abbey Road Studios I believe and which sounded absolutely amazing, I was pretty shocked at the difference in quality it made to my original recordings which I thought sounded pretty good..the amount of depth and clarity it added was startling to be honest..shows how much I think I know about production, hehe 🙂

As mentioned, top thread..long live tape!

soul source url
Posted

@Soulsides Yeah totally agree, analogue rules!

Every piece I use is vintage, apart from one... Because I need absolute reliability I use a TCElectronics amp for stage use, the vintage Vox 100 I prefer weighs in at 85lb, the TC at 35 for 250 W!

You've probably seen the 70s 4001S already, posted a few pics of it over time.  We have similar interests you and I.

20180215_161838.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

@Davey S Do you mind if I change your thread title to 'Reel to Reel plus other old junk' ?

It's developing into rather a good thread about old junk. :hatsoff2:

soul source url
Posted

No problem indeed it's quite interesting to see junk revitalised. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Nice thread!..

I'm very interested in most things tape related, along with a few other like minded enthusiasts/anoraks that I know.

It's boomboxes and tape decks mostly that are a real passion of mine..i use a very nice Sony tape machine from the 1970's for my own music projects,it sounds terrific, with a lot of warmth and nice saturation, a mate kindly donated it to me when he sold off his recording studio a couple of years ago .

I've been thinking of getting a proper set of reels lately though,something along the lines of an  Akai 4000DS reel to reel deck as it turns out that this particular Akai also has the right features for tape delay too :-)..it is a 3-Head tape deck, so the tape passes 3 heads in the transport:

Some specs for any fellow nerds here!

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/4000ds.shtml?page=1

Don't want to get too technical here but its kinda ironic that a lot of producers are now using VST's which are computer  programs that emulate vintage recording equipment.

I was in the studio around a fortnight back and the engineer had an amazing collection of them including a pro high end reel to reel emulator which was modelled on one from Abbey Road Studios I believe and which sounded absolutely amazing, I was pretty shocked at the difference in quality it made to my original recordings which I thought sounded pretty good..the amount of depth and clarity it added was startling to be honest..shows how much I think I know about production, hehe 🙂

As mentioned, top thread..long live tape!

Been looking at the Akai DS machines read somewhere that they are pretty good.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My junkjb.thumb.jpg.b191d4e06dce5044217710c82456f184.jpgrp2.thumb.jpg.5bd5b227005b2bfa2d3253593c29fc6c.jpgsp.thumb.jpg.c99be9338114f4e0d1fe57975d249023.jpg...

reel.thumb.jpg.c3413104b5a41fb263a62075a37694bc.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Oh my god a juke box bloody awesome .

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Someone brought this to my attention a while back. 

A stunningly beautiful Revox tape machine which * DOES NOT HAVE RECORD AS STANDARD* 

Oh, but feel free to drop another grand if you'd like that particular function!

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/new-revox-details-emerge

soul source url
Posted

Not sure if this is included in Old Junk & Stuff but purchased it in Leek today  , well chuffed .

Dave.20190222_192718.thumb.jpg.e77459c76d87ea9836d4b14827cbf2eb.jpg

• Up vote 3

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.