Suspicion Originals Unissued

mischief

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My back bedrooms not that tidy... bit of a bad point at the mo.. got about 1000 records on the floor in there.. ment to be sorting them out.. started and got side tracked.. set up the decks in there.. and that was it every time i go in to sort i start playng stuff i forgot i had.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

OOOH i like that version Mischief it sounds bloody good dont it

a bit faster on the tempo me thinks

How much for that copy ???

Bearsy

no more than a tenner

a whole load were pressed up

lots better than other version

Social source share

there is 2 versions one is faster than the other... don't know what is what sure someone can tell all

It was an unrealesed track wasnt it and someone cut it from some old studio tapes or something,

bet im way off the mark here but im sure i read that somewhere and im sure it was a 1966 date to it too

Waiting to be corrected now :thumbsup:

Social source share

It was an unrealesed track wasnt it and someone cut it from some old studio tapes or something,

bet im way off the mark here but im sure i read that somewhere and im sure it was a 1966 date to it too

Waiting to be corrected now :thumbsup:

There's only one version as far as i'm aware & that's by the Originals, it was speeded up & released under the pseudonym of the Detroit Prophets but it is actually the Originals. When i play it i always put it at - 4 as to me that's about the proper speed it was recorded at originally & it's also must more pleasurable to dance to at this speed imo.

Simon

Social source share

There's only one version as far as i'm aware & that's by the Originals, it was speeded up & released under the pseudonym of the Detroit Prophets but it is actually the Originals. When i play it i always put it at - 4 as to me that's about the proper speed it was recorded at originally & it's also must more pleasurable to dance to at this speed imo.

Simon

i agree too,

i found this snipet that i knew i had read somewhere before so this might shed a little more light on the subject

The Originals - Suspicion, was never issued, It was taken from tapes that surfaced in 1982. it was thought at first to be The Monitors. But later the original 10" acetate turned up to prove it was really. The Originals "Baby have mercy on me" the bootleg is slightly faster than the original copy.

there you go how is that for info.

Bearsy

Social source share

Ok, there are a number of versions of this in the vauts I belivie, the well known one and the one i have on tape which is a more guitar led rhythm, simiar to this in tempo. Still a gret toon and that despite the awful speeded up version mentioned above

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

i have a copy of that awful speeded up thing...its a one sided jobby that i picked up early 80's ish....by the prophets....surfaced around the time of all the terrible cover ups on mafmon...pitched down its luvverly but i couldnt ever bring myself to play it out anywhere

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

Simon

This one doesn't sound like the one booted as Detroit Prophets, got that twangy guitar and more backing that the one I remember on the one sided white label boot, been a while since heard it as I sold it over 12 years or so ago.

The take that came out on the This Is Northern Soul cd Chris King did is probably the best take about, one of the best Motown records as well, f*ck knows which cloth eared twat decided to leave it in the vaults laugh.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

The take that came out on the This Is Northern Soul cd Chris King did is probably the best take about, one of the best Motown records as well, f*ck knows which cloth eared twat decided to leave it in the vaults :lol:

2nd that thumbsup.gif

Social source share

ive got it on "sawdust" label, what version is that 1, prefer it to the one above and can we play them out if wanted as no legal release smile.gif

There is also a 'Prophets' - Suspicion on SOUL BEAT, with Eddie Holman - Where I,m Not Wanted on the flip. Which is the version I remember hearing played out early 90's.

Most of the 'Originals' - Have Mercy On Me - are white label jobbies

Martyn

Social source share

There are (at least ?) three vocals, and the instrumental.

1 is the 'Originals' studio acetate cut, made on 25 / 05 / 66 and only saw the light of day as that acetate which is titled 'Baby Have Mercy On Me'. Came out on the Motown Originals CD, Lost & found series

( The title 'Baby have mercy on me', could have been down to the acetate being wrongly labelled, or more likely that was it's first title which Jobete music registered with BMI, but the lyrics were updated over time through re-writes, like the Tempatations - 'last one out is broken hearted' )

2 is the version released on the CD 'This is northern soul volume 2' which sounds like a completely different vocal to me

3 is the original vocal but a more funky cut with a 'wa-wa' guitar on it.

Version 1 was booted on the white label. And as the Detroit Prophets on a UK boot; seems that it was taken from one of the early cassettes doing the rounds which all played to fast (as did the EMI discs being played out in the early 80's). The other side of the DP boot was Eddie Holman - where I'm not wanted. 'WINW' and 'Hurt' were unreleased Harthon tracks that came on on a CD about 10 years ago with other Harthon tracks.

Social source share

Wah-wah guitar! Thats the description I was looking for Mr T!!!! I'd heard there were only 3 versions (vocal) as well but wait to be proven wrong with the next Cd offering from the likes of Ms Wallace etc. It would be nice for the wah-wah version (as I shall now refer to it is) to get a issue on cd and save me the job of having it cut off and all the pain-in-the-arse farting around having a legit looking acetate label made up for djing with whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!