Freddie Scott Open the Door to Your Heart

shelly

2 hours ago, marty57 said:

You have the actual record or just found the picture ? , i have freddie scott album 'are you lonely for me ' on Joy which includes open the door to your heart & some heart breaking deep soul too .

Found it yesterday in south Brazil in M- condition, flip is Spanish Harlem. Never seen one as a single before, came out in Argentina on Microfon , but this is something else.

And yes I have it and have sold it.

Edited by shelly
Social source share

Interesting find, the writers credits are also interesting, well, to me anyway!

The Stateside Darrell Banks is credited to 'D Banks', the Jackie Wilson version "Darrell Banks', a (pretty poor) version by Tyrone Davis is credited to "Darrell Banks & Donnie Elbert' . I read somewhere years ago that Donnie Elbert was co writer, and there were some legal proceedings to ensure he got paid etc.

So, who the hell is "Lawrence Murphy' shown as co author on the Argentinian issue?

Any fellow 'anoraks' out there who can shed any light on it?

Tim.

Social source share

So, who the hell is "Lawrence Murphy' shown as co author on the Argentinian issue?

Tim.

It appears Lawrence Murphy was Darrell's personal manger according to Billboard's Talent Edition from 12/28/68 - 

Thanks for the info. Looks like individuals were credited as writers to receive royalties that were not due to them! I'm currently reading Chuck Berry's book, his first big hit "Maybelline' was written by him, but the Chess Brothers added Alan Freed , the influential New York DJ as a co writer, hmm.. can't think why they would do that!

I suspect this type of exploitation was rife in those days.

Tim.

Social source share

1 hour ago, marty57 said:

Even more strange when you consider freddy scott could hardly have been known outside new york soul circles at the time !

Freddie Scott's "Hey Girl" made the top 10 on the Pop and R& B charts in 1963. "Are You Lonely " was #1 for 4 weeks on the 

R & B charts and went #39 Pop in 1967. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, shelly said:

Me too and as there are no complete lists anywhere of Brazilian releases it makes diggin fun because know what you might find!😎

Many of the better Brazilian 7" releases feature tracks that are LP only in other countries ... this is coz most Brazilian 7" releases spun @ 33rpm and so it was just as easy to put 4 tracks on them (2 each side of course) ... so a hit US 45 that had generated a spin-off LP would (many times) get released in Brazil as a 4 tracker featuring both sides of the US 45 + 2 extras lifted from that artists LP (or maybe cuts of their earlier US 7"s).   

Loads of soul stuff (+ salsoul & latin jazz) was released in Sth American countries and lots of soul acts had big hits down there (& toured at times). PLUS, discos were popular everywhere from the mid 60's thru to the 80's & in party city's like Rio, the numerous disco clubs would need stax of 45's to keep the punters happy. Lots of interesting stuff escaped down south (45's / EP's / LP's) .. lots being local put together releases like this 70's compilation LP of top club tracks in Brazil  ... 

BrazNYalbum3.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Roburt said:

Many of the better Brazilian 7" releases feature tracks that are LP only in other countries ... this is coz most Brazilian 7" releases spun @ 33rpm and so it was just as easy to put 4 tracks on them (2 each side of course) ... so a hit US 45 that had generated a spin-off LP would (many times) get released in Brazil as a 4 tracker featuring both sides of the US 45 + 2 extras lifted from that artists LP (or maybe cuts of their earlier US 7"s).   

Loads of soul stuff (+ salsoul & latin jazz) was released in Sth American countries and lots of soul acts had big hits down there (& toured at times). PLUS, discos were popular everywhere from the mid 60's thru to the 80's & in party city's like Rio, the numerous disco clubs would need stax of 45's to keep the punters happy. Lots of interesting stuff escaped down south (45's / EP's / LP's) .. lots being local put together releases like this 70's compilation LP of top club tracks in Brazil  ... 

BrazNYalbum3.jpg

Thanks Roburt makes sense re the 33 1/3 in Brazil, no one here as really been able to answer correctly, though money was always muted as the reason.

But unlike the rest of S America not a great deal was released here during the 60’s. 

Number of reasons, Brazil has and had a massive music industry of it’s own Samba/Pagode/Sertaneja etc etc., plus it’s own “soul” stars like Tim Maia who recorded for Stax. Soul was always a niche though.

This was compacted as only 2 radio stations played regular international music at that time Liberdade and Diffusora, so there was very little exposure.

Party cities -just about every city imho played a mix but less than 10% was imported ( source my wife who’s Brazilian and was clubbing late 60’s/70’s). Biggest club sound in 68 here-Wooly Bully !

Even Motown never cracked Brazil, they had 5 different distributors during this time Fermata, Rozenblit, Mocambo, Ebrau & Toptape and sold sod all hence the frequent changes and only started releasing under it’s own steam in the mid 70’s.

By then things were changing and the military government was relaxing hence the explosion of stuff from then onwards.

In the meantime I shall continue looking for Chubby Checker YJDK 😎

Edited by shelly
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

there is also this...

Bert Berns (Bang/Shout) was an influence on Freddie.

paraphrase from Joel Selvin's book Here Comes The Night - Berns always spoke about plans to reach the Spanish market. He signed Arsenio Rodriguez. Rodriguez always seemed to say he "invented" Mambo, and left Cuba for Miami in the early 50’s, and then moved to the Sth Bronx. 

They recorded shout LP501 at Century Sound Studio, NJ. and interestingly it's listed as 'Open The Door To Your Heart' (no Up in the title).

One other thing that springs to mind- there is (now) well documented evidence of 'Organized Crime' involvement which surrounding Berns. So 'the sales of records' especially via disties outside the U.S. might be less important than you think (think of the tax scam labels)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Tim Richmond said:

I'm currently reading Chuck Berry's book, his first big hit "Maybelline' was written by him, but the Chess Brothers added Alan Freed , the influential New York DJ as a co writer, hmm.. can't think why they would do that!

Tim.

Freed's name does show up on some Moonglows/ Moonlighters  releases. George Goldner was another "prolific" writer.

moonglows.jpg

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Kenb said:

They recorded shout LP501 at Century Sound Studio, NJ. and interestingly it's listed as 'Open The Door To Your Heart' (no Up in the title).

You are correct about the book listing the song as "Open The Door..." 

but the album label adds Up to the title- 

f- lp.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!