Austin, Texas

Guest Kevin J

Guest Kevin J

Hi all -

Going to be in Austin over the next week to visit my neice for Christmas, and

was wondering if anyone had any leads on record shops, 2nd hand shops, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Kevin

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all -

Going to be in Austin over the next week to visit my neice for Christmas, and

was wondering if anyone had any leads on record shops, 2nd hand shops, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Kevin

Also there's a shop I ALWAYS find something, sometimes a real goodie..called Antwans or something very similar to that..it's been a few years now since I've been there, if it's still open it's certainly worth a look. Then go to San Antonio to the shop inside the Antiques Mall opposite the Alamo (not the car rental place) the owner is mad, but sometime there's goodies there..

There are some private guys with huge stocks of 45s.. ask at ANTWANS for there names, as I can't give them out without their permission.

Do go and see the bats fly out from under that bridge, then roam the aintique stores on Capitol (i've found good 45s there) there's at least 3 stores that had vinyl in amongst the junk.

Hope that helps, good hunting.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The shop John refers to is Antone's, its up on Guadelupe at pretty much the junction with (I think 18th street). It's not a very big shop, but it does have some nice, not particularly rare pieces at very cheap prices.

The guy who runs the shop, Mike Buck, is a great bloke. He used to be in the Fabulous Thunderbirds so he knows his blues.

That's pretty much the only game in town as far as oldies shops go - there are a few 'Half Price Books And Records' type stores in and around town, but beware, they all have John's book as well as a recent 'Record Collector'-type guide!

The shop in San Antonio is called Alamo Records (unsurprisingly!) John is being kind to say that its owner Will is 'a bit mad' - very little of his stock is priced and he kind of makes it up as he goes along, but again as John says you do find the odd goodie in there. He does tend to think that all Brits collect either Northern or Rockabilly, though, so don't expect a bargain. And you might want to check if he's open, he's got something like diabetes or a similar illness and he doesn't always make it in...

That's pretty much it for any stores of consequence, although there are always plenty of flea markets around come the weekends....

Have a great time in 'The Live Music Capital Of the World' - it's pretty hard not to!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

thanks for the help fellas. it will be great seeing my family in the very least, but it will be nice to come back with a few things for myself.

happy holidays all!

kevin

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

just an update from deep in the heart of texas...

if anyone is travelling this way soon, i HIGHLY recommend the recordshop "Friends of Sound." They have a website: https://www.friendsofsound.com/ Picked up some great stuff, and wasnt even able to make it through all the stuff in "the back room." they specialize in local austin stuff, including tracks from the "Lighting" label - which seemed to be primarily funk-oriented.

anyhow the kids are great, and they do a bi-weekly night here, "Austin Soul Club," which falls on a friday ... so i will be out at that tonight.

anyhow, happy holidays. off to the alamo tomorrow (and alamo records).

kev

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

update 2:

randomly met buddy miles in a bar in downtown austin on saturday!! austin soul club was promising, though not many folks showed up. nice space with great floors... heard some decent tunes. it was only their second night, so its likely to get better.

picked up a few more records ...

ready to go home.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert