Some info on this one please.

All I know about it is it was on an old tape of a Stafford set, a few people I know got together and spent a while trying to identify it. Came up with an artist and title, apparently from someone who knew it, I don't know exactly who. Is it right? What is known about label, numbers pressed, past scene plays, anything really, just want to know anything I can get. 

Social source share

Deep City was Miami based & operated for a while from 1966 ... most of their issued tracks (& many that remained unissued back in the day) escaped a while back on a series of CD's / LP's that are well worth owning. Those releases were done with the help of the original guys involved with the label & I seem to recall that the CD booklets contained many facts on the artists / producers / writers / tracks.

Some of the original 45 releases did quite well down in Florida & got quite a bit of radio play.

DeepCityCD.jpg

WMBMTop50Extract.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

A local 1967 booking (in Miami) for Johnny & his band ... this was at one of the top black venues in the area back then (mid 60's)  ...

Johnny ran the place & booked lots of top national acts as well as local outfits ... 

Miami1967v.jpg

Miami1967f.jpg

Miami1966m.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

The Knight Beat Club was located in the Sir John Hotel in the Overtown (black) area of Miami. Most of the black acts visiting Miami for live shows would stay there, even the acts playing the big white hotels on Miami Beach (black acts could perform there in the 60's but not actually stay there) ...

I'm currently just a few miles north of it's old location (like much of Overtown, it was demolished to make way for new Freeways in the early to mid 70's). 

MiamiPhoto2.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Jeez, had this 25 years ago or more, can't for the life of me remember who I sold it to. Of its time (Stafford) and can't say I miss it and definitely wouldn't buy it now which is the real tester for me, no regrets

Edit: just remembered, I first heard on a tape from Duncan Morris (sure that was his last name). He was from London 

Edited by jumpinjoan
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:02, jumpinjoan said:

Jeez, had this 25 years ago or more, can't for the life of me remember who I sold it to. Of its time (Stafford) and can't say I miss it and definitely wouldn't buy it now which is the real tester for me, no regrets

Edit: just remembered, I first heard on a tape from Duncan Morris (sure that was his last name). He was from London 

It was Morris Joan, he was from Thurrock I bought his Bobby Kline off of him, £25 if I remember rightly.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!