60's Dances

Roburt

If you were hip in the mid 60's, you'd know all the latest dance steps & demonstrate them when you went to the niter on the weekend ...

.... BUT if you weren't hip, you just had to check out a certain maker's shirt ads .... they even gave little written instructions for each phase of the moves ... 

60sUSmaleFashionAd.jpg

60sUSmaleFashionAd3.jpg

60sUSmaleFashionAd4.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Roburt said:

If you were hip in the mid 60's, you'd know all the latest dance steps & demonstrate them when you went to the niter on the weekend ...

.... BUT if you weren't hip, you just had to check out a certain maker's shirt ads .... they even gave little written instructions for each phase of the moves ... 

60sUSmaleFashionAd.jpg

60sUSmaleFashionAd3.jpg

60sUSmaleFashionAd4.jpg

Absolutely stinks,not a black person in sight.Just goes to show what they were up against back in the 60s. Chris. 

Social source share

Of course there was the  "Pony Time" and the "Twist"  but see what you say about the lack of Afro Americans on those promo photographs, but have to say also when you see old Film Clips it's The Black Americans that looked "COOL" White dudes looked Divvy, Awkward And down right Bad, They just did not had that Smoothness in the way they moved and were just going through the motions. 

Edited by RICK SCOTT
extra text removed
Social source share

If anyone wants to learn American dances from the 1960s - stop into Rooky Ricardo's in San Francisco. The owner (Dick Vivian) is not just a soul expert, but was in the scene in the US in the 60s and 70s and was (and still is) a wicked dancer. He can teach you the mash-potato, the cool jerk, the boogaloo, shingaling, etc.   

• Up vote 3
Social source share

a recent post dropped

Our guidelines have the following...

Respect other members

Do not insult or personally attack another member.
You do not have the right to attack someone for having an opinion other than your own.
If someone disagrees with you, they're entitled to provided they do it respectfully

Guidelines and Terms Of use can be found via the terms of use that show at the bottom of every page

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/terms/

all members have agreed to follow these terms of use when joining so ask please try and do so

thanks

mike

Social source share

On 06/02/2019 at 17:01, RICK SCOTT said:

Of course there was the  "Pony Time" and the "Twist"  but see what you say about the lack of Afro Americans on those promo photographs, but have to say also when you see old Film Clips it's The Black Americans that looked "COOL" White dudes looked Divvy, Awkward And down right Bad, They just did not had that Smoothness in the way they moved and were just going through the motions. 

I imagine Bobby Banas might disagree!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

A top dance invented in the St Louis / Chicago area ... the Crawlers (Alvin's brothers) were just a dance group really, so they would dance around the stage for the outfit's entire show (they visited the UK in early 67 and did London / Sheffield / Manc shows & more).

In the mid 60's t'up north ... we used to do the 'Freeze' to Alvin's "Philly Freeze" track .... just doing the current moves of the time but 'freezing' (stopping in our tracks) when Alvin shouted out FREEZE. Also used to pretend to be walkin a tightrope when Inez & Charlie's cut was played.

AlvinCasharticle65x.jpg

AlvinCasharticle65y.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Seems that when this package tour hit DC in mid Nov 67, the management of the Howard Theatre staged a special dance contest on the Monday night ... wonder which of the live acts they got to perform the music during the contest & who got to present the prize ... 

JerryO67mont.jpg

Social source share

14 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

The Greatest pound for pound boxer of all Time. 

I agree 99%! The only person who I would make a case for having been better (P4P) was Henry Armstrong... and one reason was (Mods - trying not to not get too off topic) because of his phenomenal footwork! If you are interested, watch this amazing video and imagine what kind of dancer this fighter could have been!

Social source share

In July 2006 I asked a question regarding the Humphrey Stomp and one member posted this in reply regarding 60s dances!!!!!  😮  😁

How do you do the:

The Aba Daba Do Dance --The Afro Twist --The Alabama Shake --The Alley Cat --The Alley Oop --The Alligator --The Ants --The Arthur --The Baby Baby --The Baby Walk --The Baby Workout --The Bad Baboon --The Banana Split --The Bang --The Barefootin' --The Barracuda --The Batman --The Bat-Tusi --The Beatle Boogie --The Beatle Bounce --The Beatle Stomp --The Beetle Squash --The Beguine --The Behemoth --The Bend It! --The Big City Stomp --The Big Egg --The Billy-Jo --The Bird --The Black Stomp --The Blakes Beat --The Blue Beat --The Blue Chip --The Bolaro --The Bombie --The Boney Maroney --The Bongo Hop --The Boo-Ga-Loo --The Boogler --The Boomerang --The Booty Green --The Bop --The Boss Walk --The Bossa Nova --The Boston Hop --The Boston Monkey --The Bounce --The Brain --The Breakdown --The Bristol Stomp --The Broken Hip --The Bug --The Bull Nose Stomp --The Bumpsi --The Bunny Hop --The Burn --The Bushman --The Bus Stop --The Calypso Dance --The Camel Walk --The Capri --The Carnaby --The Cat Walk --The Caterpillar --The Cha Jerk --The Charge --The Charleston Fish --The Cheater Stomp --The Chicken-Back --The Chicken Dance --The Chin-A-Ling --The Choo Choo --The Cinnamon Cinder --The Clam --The Click --The Climb --The Clyde --The Coffee Grind --The Congo --The Continental Mash --The Continental Walk --The Cool Jerk --The Cool Off --The Cool Shake --The Cow --The Crawl --The Crazy Chicken --The Crossfire ---The Crumble --The Crusher --The Dartell Stomp --The Del Viking --The Dip --The Dipsey Dooble --The Dirt --The Dirty Boogie --The Dirty Dog --The Dish Rag --The Doctors Boogie----The Dog --The Dogin --The Donkey Step --The Donkey Walk --The Doolang --The Drag --The Drum Stomp --The Drunkard --The Duck --The Duck Walk --The Ebb'n'Flow --The Egyptian --The Egyptian Shumba --The Eighty One --The Elephant Walk --The Fatman --The Fine Twine --The Finger Poppin' --The Fish --The Flake --The Flea --The Flick --The Flip --The Flip Flop --The Float --The Fly --The Foot Stomping --The Footsee --The Fox --The Freddie --The Fridge --The Frug --The Funky Broadway --The Funky Bull --The Funky Horse --The Funky Jerk --The Funky Mississippi --The Funky Walk --The Gallop --The Gene Chandler --The Georgia Slop --The Get Down --The Get-E-Up --The Glide --The Goat --The Go Go --The Goblin Trot --The Good Time Stomp --The Goodfoot --The Goose --The Gorilla --The Granny --The Grind --The Guitar Boogie Stomp --The Gully --The Handjive Workout --The Hanky Panky --The Harlem Shuffle --The Harlem Tango --The Heat Wave --The Hippies Waltz --The Hippy Hippy Shake --The Hitch Hike ---The Hitch-It-To-Horse --The Hitler --The Hokey Pokey --The Honey Dipper --The Hoochi Coochi Coo --The Hook And Sling --The Hop --The Hop Scotch --The Horse --The Hucklebuck --The Huddle --The Hula --The Hully Gully --The Hully Gully Bongo --The Hully Gully Rock --The Humphrey Stomp --The Hunch --The Jerk --The Jersey Bounce --The Jitterbug --The Jive --The Jivin' Around --The Joogie Boogie --The Jordan Stomp --The Jump --The Jump And Hump --The Junkernoo --The Kangaroo --The Karate Monkey --The Krunch --The Limbo -The Limbo Rock --The Locomotion --The Loddy-Lo --The Lone Star Stomp --The Loop De Loop The Lowdown Popcorn --The Luau --The Lurch --The Madison --The Magoo --The Malibu --The Mambo --The Mambo Boogie --The Manhattan Stomp --The March Of The Mods --The Martian Hop --The Marvel --The Mash --The Mashi --The Mashed Potato --The Mashed Taters --The Massacre Stomp --The Matador --The Mexican Hat Dance --The Millie --The Mint --The Mojo Workout --The Molecule A-Go-Go --The Monkey --The Monkey Bird --The Monkey Shine --The Monkey Stroll --The Monkey Walk --The Monster Mash --The Mope --The Moppety Stomp --The Mother Popcorn --The Mountain Stomp --The Mouse --The Mozart Stomp --The Mule --The Munch --The Napoleon --The Nick Nack Hully Gully --The Night Stomp --The Nitty Gritty --The Olympic Shuffle --The Ostrich --The Pata Pata --The Pearl --The Penguin --The Philly --The Philly Dog -The Philly Horse --The Philly Jerk --The Philly Walk --The Pogo --The Polka --The Polly Wolly --The Pony --The Pony Horse --The Pony Rock -The Pony Walk --The Popcorn Poppin' --The Popeye --The Popeye Stroll --The Popeye Waddle --The Prance --The Pretzel --The Push --The Push And Pull --The Pyramids Stomp --The Rebel Walk --The Reel --The Rendezvous Stomp --The Rhumba Boogie --The Rib --The Rifle --The Roach --The Robbie --The Rock --The Rock And Roll --The Rocksteady --The Roman --The Romp --The Rosy --The Royal Whirl --The Rush Hour Stomp --The Scotch --The Scrape --The Scratch --The Scratchin' --The Screw --The Scrubs --The Scrumble --The Seaside --The Shake A Tail Feather --The Shake And Stomp --The Shake Rattle Snake --The Shampoo --The Shimmy --The Shing-A-Ling --The Shoddy Shoddy --The Shotgun --The Shotgun Boogie --The Shotish --The Shout --The Shovel --The Sightseein' --The Simon Says --The Sissy Strut --The Ska --The Skip --The Slauson --The Slide --The Slime --The Slip And Slide --The Slop --The Slop And Slide --The Slosh --The Slow Dance --The Slow Jerk --The Slow Locomotion --The Slurp --The Snacky Poo --The Snake --The Snake Walk --The Soul Clap --The Soul Stomp --The Soul Twine --The Soulful Jerk --The Spanish Strut --The Spanns Stomp --The Spider Walk --The Spin --The Split --The Stereo Freeze ---The Stomp --The Stop --The Stop Touch --The Strand --The Stretch --The Stroke --The Stroll --The Strut --The Struttin' --The Stupidity --The Surf --The Surfer Boogie --The Surfer Stomp --The Surfin' Bird --The Surfink --The Suzie --The Sway --The Swim --The Switch --The Switch-A-Roo ---The Switchy Walk --The Tango --The Tantrum --The Teenagers Waltz --The Temptation Walk --The Thaxton --The Thing --The Tiger Walk --The Tighten Up --The Tip Toe --The Train Stomp --The Trot --The Turkey Trot --The Twine --The Twist --The Twist And Freeze --The Twitch --The Two-Step --The Ubangi Stomp --The Uncle Willie --The Underdog Backstreet --The Underwater --The Unwind Twine --The Wah-Watusi ---The Wak-A-Cha --The Walk ---The Wallop --The Wash ---The Weasel --The Wedge --The Werewolf Watusi ---The Whammy --The Wheel --The Whip --The Whiplash --The Whirl --The Whoopee --The Wiggle Wobble --The Wild Stomp --The Wild Weekend --The Wobble --The Worm --The Yo-Yo --The Yuletide Jerk --The Zig Zag--The Zizzle--The Zonk ?

Someone else wants to know too :thumbsup:

Edited July 15, 2006 by Sister Dawn
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 09:01, RICK SCOTT said:

I just want to say that while I remained in Lily-White Manitoba, I was an AWFUL, Awkward And down right Bad, dancer, who just did not have that Smoothness(which was roughly average for most of Canada) 😮.  After moving to Chicago, and attending a 60% African-American high school, and being coached by my new friends (most of whom were Black), I at least moved up from a rating of "pitiful", to the bottom of the "passable" range.  Had I moved directly to the Lily-White Chicago suburb, where I moved 2 years later, I'd have remained in the pitiful category all my life.  😁

Well, actually, I might have picked up a little style, anyway, after moving to The Netherlands.🤪

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I don't know if this has been done before but I was thinking about dance styles associated with Northern and soul tracks. Here are a few I could think of.....

The Duck

The Temptation Walk

The Funky Chicken

The Monkey

Any others?

Social source share

On 06/02/2019 at 17:01, RICK SCOTT said:

Hmmm, are we talking the 60s or other decades as I'm thinking Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Donald O Connor & Russ Tamblyn didn't look too divvy. Or are you talking about clips of the man in the street, so to say?

Edited by El Corol
Spelling
Social source share

23 hours ago, gordonc said:

I don't know if this has been done before but I was thinking about dance styles associated with Northern and soul tracks. Here are a few I could think of.....

The Duck

The Temptation Walk

The Funky Chicken

The Monkey

Any others?

Philly Freeze

Tightrope

Karate Boogaloo

The Pony

The Hitchhike

The Fly

The Mess Around

The Limbo

Mashed Potato

Hullygully

Hucklebuck

The Freddie.

Social source share

398728201_TheBlock.jpg.3b05f664f241c66980d40b79ffc6932a.jpg                                                                              No mention of the block, it's still being done on the Mod dance floors of today. There's no video footage of the block from the 60s, 80s or the present day which I find strange. Was it a big thing in the 60s Roburt?

Edited by jpm
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:22, jpm said:

398728201_TheBlock.jpg.3b05f664f241c66980d40b79ffc6932a.jpg                                                                              No mention of the block, it's still being done on the Mod dance floors of today. There's no video footage of the block from the 60s, 80s or the present day which I find strange. Was it a big thing in the 60s Roburt?

Don't recall UK dancers being aware of this dance in the 60's. But then there were numerous ones that passed us by, including the Mouse …

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 20/03/2019 at 16:22, jpm said:

Isn't there footage on YT of some of the RSG dancers doing the block?  Sure I've seen it but work won't allow me onto YT so can't check til later. 

EDIT:  managed to find it on my phone 😀.  Hope this link works:  

Can't really see any of the blokes feet to see what they're actually doing, but might give a flavour of their interpretation of the dance.

Edited by Chilli
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

The Jamaicans had a few dances too, not that I can make head nor tail of 'em.

image.png.8ab2e583f1faaa94ab31ee026b0ee38a.png

This is a great clip on YouTube which shows some of the above dances, and others, being enacted, along with a great sound track.

Enjoy 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chilli said:

Isn't there footage on YT of some of the RSG dancers doing the block?  Sure I've seen it but work won't allow me onto YT so can't check til later. 

EDIT:  managed to find it on my phone 😀.  Hope this link works:  

Can't really see any of the blokes feet to see what they're actually doing, but might give a flavour of their interpretation of the dance.

Cheers Chilli 👍

Social source share

"Jamaican Ska" was released (on Atlantic) in the US & UK as by the Ska Kings. It's the same group / version as above but at the time they were trying to break ska acts in the US and thought that group name would give the track more clout. The UK 45 & LP release just took the same name as the US one.

The track was massive at 60's clubs like the Mojo in Sheffield (+ others across the UK). We did a certain dance to it but that was a dance picked up from UK based West Indians rather than the actual ska dance itself.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!