News: Eddie Giles has passed on

Thanks for passing on Ady

A feature on his works from 2015can be read here

'Losing Boy' singer Eddie Giles discusses fame, faith

Too poor to buy an instrument, he did what those with more dreams than cash have always done — made do. Giles attached two strands of haywire to the side of his grandmother's house with four 10-penny nails and used an R.C. bottle to lift the strings.

After recording the song in 1967 at Murco Records in Tyler, Texas, "Losing Boy" took off. It sold 2,000 units in Shreveport, 10,000 in Dallas, 70,000 in Chicago and landed on the Billboard charts.

https://eu.shreveporttimes.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/01/28/losing-boy-singer-discusses-fame-faith/22466303/

Social source share

Really sad news-Eddie's great version of 'That's How Strong My Love Is' was one of the first Soul records I bought-on a Charly EP in the very early 1980's when I was first getting into Soul as a teenager. 'Losin' Boy' on Murco  is a stone classic and the Deep Soul  'While I'm Away (Baby Keep The Faith)' is a beauty,too. A typically fine-voiced , classic Southern Soul artist of that classic era

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Rev. Elbert 'Eddie' Giles died on Feb. 5, 2018, at a local hospital, after a brief illness. He retired 6 months earlier from a 45 year broadcasting career as P D/ M D, KOKA 980 AM. He will be missed. He pastored 25 years Salem B.C. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!