Patrinell Staten - a bit of history

1 hour ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

I don't know if this has been posted up before, but some nice background on what was one of the biggest tunes at one time provided by an obscure north west artist.

https://www.historylink.org/File/10393

Enjoy !

Andy

Cheers Andy.  Great information.  So they originally pressed 250 copies,  remember when it first got played out and about,  there was supposedly 4 copies.  Don't know how many actually turned up.  Love both sides.  

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Priceless.

What a tune. It's got everything . Class, rarity, obscurity, and it stops and starts all over the place. Was it a Mecca play?

Up until a few years ago I'd only ever heard of the four sonics on sepia. 

Ed

I don't know whether it was a Mecca play but I did hear that some copies are pressed incorrectly, labels correct but wrong tune playing (nightmare), Butch plays it

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Updated
Social source share

14 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Priceless.

What a tune. It's got everything . Class, rarity, obscurity, and it stops and starts all over the place. Was it a Mecca play?

Ed

Found much later than the Mecca, would be in the 90s when found.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2019 at 19:46, tomangoes said:

Pretty sure it's a different label - Four Sonics label is Detroit-based, with three releases in total.

Story I heard was it was Keb Darge found Patrinell Staten on a digging trip with John Manship, the deal being Keb got all the funk and John got all the soul. So... Keb had to hand it over! 😭

Social source share

2 hours ago, cover-up said:

Pretty sure it's a different label - Four Sonics label is Detroit-based, with three releases in total.

Story I heard was it was Keb Darge found Patrinell Staten on a digging trip with John Manship, the deal being Keb got all the funk and John got all the soul. So... Keb had to hand it over! 😭

Yes, the Seattle label had nothing to do with Jack Ashford's Detroit label.  And Patrinell Staten was a Seattle resident.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!