Prince Shell..Chicago Musician and arranger

Blackpoolsoul

I was listening to Cookie Scott this morning and wondered who Prince Shell actually was

A little digging found out this. I wondered if we can have some more of the stuff he was credited with please

Eutrice Ulysses "Prince" Shell, accomplished musician, was born in Lott, Texas, USA, on December 31, 1928. He died on April 11 2007. He began playing piano as a child and later studied valve trombone at Chicago's DuSable High School with music educator and band director Walter Dyett. Shell honed his arranging skills while a member of the Tennessee State Collegians big-band at Tennessee State University and also at the Navy School of Music. During his service in the Air Force, Shell became "chief arranger" for the Strategic Air Command Band at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. He performed and toured with Gene Ammons and Gene McDaniels, and became the house pianist at Chicago's original Regal Theater where he appeared with Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and others. Shell teamed up with Jesse Jackson and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1970 to arrange for and record their Operation Breadbasket Orchestra and Choir for Chess Records. Sun Ra and other nationally known musicians have performed and recorded his arrangements, and his works have been featured in concerts at the Berklee College of Music and the New England Conservatory of Music.

Cookie Scott.jpg

Prince.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Typo
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:19, Blackpoolsoul said:

I was listening to Cookie Scott this morning and wondered who Prince Shell actually was

A little digging found out this. I wondered if we can have some more of the stuff he was credited with please

Eutrice Ulysses "Prince" Shell, accomplished musician, was born in Lott, Texas, USA, on December 31, 1928. He died on April 11 2007. He began playing piano as a child and later studied valve trombone at Chicago's DuSable High School with music educator and band director Walter Dyett. Shell honed his arranging skills while a member of the Tennessee State Collegians big-band at Tennessee State University and also at the Navy School of Music. During his service in the Air Force, Shell became "chief arranger" for the Strategic Air Command Band at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. He performed and toured with Gene Ammons and Gene McDaniels, and became the house pianist at Chicago's original Regal Theater where he appeared with Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and others. Shell teamed up with Jesse Jackson and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1970 to arrange for and record their Operation Breadbasket Orchestra and Choir for Chess Records. Sun Ra and other nationally known musicians have performed and recorded his arrangements, and his works have been featured in concerts at the Berklee College of Music and the New England Conservatory of Music.

Cookie Scott.jpg

Prince.jpg

And on the yellow and green ORR, you get the instrumental to Mislead by Prince Shell , which is fantastic in its own right.

Social source share

7 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Really, thanks for that, I always thought they were a different group.

The players are all listed on the Lp, that’ll be where the info is taken from.  Not sure if they are the same Chevelles on ORR with Cookie Scott, I would assume they are. 

Social source share

• 5 months later...
On 12/02/2019 at 12:56, Chalky said:

The players are all listed on the Lp, that’ll be where the info is taken from.  Not sure if they are the same Chevelles on ORR with Cookie Scott, I would assume they are. 

The ORR Chevelles is not the Flaming Arrow Mighty Chevelles.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!