Texan Rarity

Soulfulsolutions

Brilliant, but most probably only semi-known, and on very rare white demo too…..
PM any questions or to reserve

Webs – Don’t ever hurt me / Little girl blue – Dynamic 109 Ex- £1100 ON HOLD

I revel in a bit of Texan soul, and you don’t have to look any further than Abe Epstein’s Dynamic label for a wealth of Northern and Chicano Soul winners. With over 20 releases in under 3 years it is hands down one the best sources of soul output from San Antonio. Abe was the not only the owner, but the producer at his General McMullen studio. On his passing at the age of 74 back in 2012 he was described as one of Texas’s early music visionaries and a pioneer, along with the likes of Huey P. Meaux, Sir Douglas (Quintet) and Sonny Ozuna (Key-Loc & Tear Drop) creating and promoting what was to be known as the West Side Sound. His music, some 900 songs, were recorded on a two-track machine. One pair in particular “No time for you / Hey its love” for the Commands who were picked up by Abe after winning an Air Force national talent contest.

Willie Leroy Cooper (aka Sonny) and the Webs originated from Galveston and recorded on Dynamic in 66 and 67. Willie, a church singer, formed the group with childhood friends for Guyden as early as 63. They stuck together, recording for some pretty impressive labels over a short span of 3 years, Whiz, MGM, Atlantic, Pop-Side and Verve. They travelled the country and opened for acts such as Gladys Knight & the Pips at New York’s, Apollo Theatre. I can’t trace the names of the remaining members, although Marshall Boxley is credited on several Webs releases across all labels, suggesting he was with them. This double sider brings the best out of the classy Cooper on lead (although not credited), one mid to up-tempo dancer the other a gorgeous beat ballad, both hinged on exquisite group harmonies laced with subtle horns, these relaxed tempos are still punchy enough for the dance floor. Pure class and a dream for a DJ. I’m hinting that Texas still has so much more untapped soul to offer.

Vinyl on both sides shows light use, with the occasional pop or 2, but nothing to distract for the overall audible pleasure. Graded visually as Excellent Minus but Plays Excellent or better. Labels show smudges from the printing process and some light ring wear.

Soundfiles on request, soundcloud won't allow insert!

PayPal as friends or add 4% or bank transfer please.

Postage:
£9.50 - Special Delivery
Overseas on Request

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic