1960's London Mod / Soul Clubs

Roburt

last play at the last chance was jimmy radcliff .then the lights went on and all the mods shuffled out to a coffee bar somewhere..last chance saloon was demolished for the new train station..in the mean time it was known as the eidelweiss club for some years in the early 70s .

when the scene closed at 7AM mods used to go to last chance for an extra hour or 2 ,and it was 5 shillings to get in .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

we all missed some top name acts at the flamingo and numerous other clubs but a mods miserable wages at the time wouldnt stretch to going to other clubs. after a night out at the scene  there wasnt much money left for seeing other acts  especially the flamingo as it was over a quid to get in to see live acts from america ,and money had to be found to keep a scooter running and clothes and records to buy and daily living expenses ..

the scene was a guinee to get in on a saturday .cheaper in the week .

at xmas time the scene became deserted as mods were at partys  so didnt go there over xmas

• Up vote 1
Social source share

to get in to see jay hawkins at the flamingo was if my memory seves me was 1 pound 17 shillings and sixpence ,,same as most other top name acts from the US and a teenage mods salary was around 2-3pounds as an apprentice so it was a chunk of the wages ,whereas a record night was 10 shillings at most R and B clubs in soho .although the althabet club was 10 shillings on saturday all nighter and weekday record sessions at most clubs ..we had long debates about can we afford it but came to the conclusion we couldnt afford to see jay hawkins or major lance or the soul sisters..ggrrrr

rumour had it major lance was seen in the freight train coffee bar in berwick street  ,a  mods hangout

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just now, noolas said:

nice to see these old ad's looks like they came from the new musical express or record mirror , i was a regular up west back in 64\65 my main club of choice was the last chance saloon on oxford st , it was the same as la discotheque and the scene open all night full of mods dancing to the latest RnB tunes and fuelled with blues  , then in the morning it was off to liverpool st station hundreds of us gathered there on the station concourse then slowly drifted off , we used to cross over and walk into petticote lane market looking for records , great times

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 22/02/2019 at 13:50, Dimples said:

Yes I've been to Gaz's Rockin Blues @ St. Moritz. Great Club, nice music and the venue has a special vibe! Love it.

do you remember the la poubelle club it was in the same area of wardour st as the st moritz ?

Edited by noolas
wrong spelling
Social source share

on saturday we used to get news of who we missed at the scene club during the week ,all big names like bo diddley or little richard used to appear there with no warning ,even the who alegedly played there ..before going into the scene we used to have a swift half in one of the local boozers or the macabre coffee bar in an alley way off wardor street .now it seems to be a basement flat occupied by humans..

the macabre coffee bar had a juke box on which a kathy kirby single ''dance on'' was heard

• Up vote 1
Social source share

i would say in the london R and B clubs but i cant be sure as it was changing fast about then ,it kinda evolved from who knows where ,others may have more info than me ..

the flamingo sound system was pretty poor compared with the scene clubs sound system and the choice of records was better at the scene club as DJ guy stevens had a large collection of just about everything you could think of,  all fresh from the US..on the visits to the flamingo on record nights i was surprised at the lousy selection of  tunes they had and the lack of volume and bass on their piddling sound system .so one more reason to stick with the scene club as the thumping great speakers slung from the ceiling were about as good as you could get, with 2  garard 301s at the other end of the chain and the very best 45s of the time ,supplied by mr stevens

• Up vote 1
Social source share

there was a few fashionable shop selling bit and pieces but it was still the era of montegue burtons and the full monty ,when guys couldnt afford to buy a whole suit in one go ,so bought the jacket trousers and waist coat sepeartely till they had ''the full monty''.. suits were paid for on weekly terms ..

a mod lusted after a mohair suit and then came the mullet haircut but i dont know where from !!

some wore leather coats and jackets at the scene club

this was only less than 20years after WW2 so most folks were hard up and had no TV or housephone just a valve radio and the london skyline was littered with bombed out buildings courtesy of the lauftwaffe ,money was in short supply ,,houses rarely had a bathroom either at this time

see the front of paul andersons book for an image

Social source share

all these ads for blue beat and island and king labels 45s but it wasnt easy to buy them as u had to order them for next week ,,nowhere stocked them all..i used to hang around a shop in shepherds bush market where they sold jamaican imports  and blue beat but you didnt know what was good or bad even though they played a lot of records and it was loud on speakers outside the small shop..i was the only white man there at the shop .the titles were on a chalked blackboard outside the shop in top ten format but a few were calypso on the early island issues..i dont recall where they got any air play except at some clubs but u didnt know what their titles were ,so it as all a mystery at the time about treasure isle issue imports

my mates borowed  my good stuff and i never got them back ,hence houswifes choice is missing and quite a few prince buster 45s are missing

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Freight Train was opened on the corner of Berwick Street and Noel Street by skiffle player Chas McDevitt early in 1958, following the success of his record of the same name.  Initially it hosted impromptu sessions, where musicians such as Diz Disley and Les Bennetts would jam into the night.  It was also the venue for an early performance by Cliff Richard and the Drifters in June 1958.  Unlike many other local establishments, however, the coffee bar’s basement was not transformed into a music club.  Instead the Freight Train served as, “a rendezvous for many of the London-based groups, a point where they could assemble to leave for a gig or unwind in the early hours returning from work.”  McDevitt claims that it was on one such occasion, in the Freight Train’s derelict basement, “surrounded by empty Coca-Cola crates and broken furniture”, that Brian Gregg, formerly in Les Hobeaux Skiffle Group composed ‘Shakin’ All Over’ in collaboration with Fred Heath of the Nutters.  Heath would make the song another seminal British rock ‘n’ roll number when he took it into the charts with his group The Pirates, under his alter-ego Johnny Kidd.

cribbed from soho site

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 09/04/2019 at 16:54, Sceneman said:

my dear departed friend Liam, did an album there with Flowered Up, camden town kids, badly produced, wasn't till they got the Madness producer Clive Winstanley they recorded "Weekender" a seminal record of that era.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

fred heath and the nutters,, didnt know the freight train had a basement and i worked locally just across the road

incidently the cue club had  a bad rep so we didnt go there  due to the stabbings and murders there

the el partido was ok though with thumping ska on the top floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXhU7-4W2Q

Social source share

club cards for the attic hounslow and pontiac club putney

the attic didnt have much ambiance and was small .the pontiac was better but the owner didnt pay 

This is in reply to Sceneman - sorry screwed up the quote facility!

Interesting as I now live on Upper Richmond Road. Zeta House is a landmark building in Putney close to the overground and East Putney tube so a great location for a music venue. There’s more info about the club here :- https://garagehangover.com/pontiac-club-zeeta-house-putney-london/

Edited by Autumnstoned
Social source share

Went to the dog arse days of the Camden Palais to check out ''Jackie Wilson Live at'' It was full of 80s blondes proper hand-baggers and there was me in a parka like a twart, for me a regular haunt was Happiness Stan's in Farringdon a bit of all sorts club with focus on 60s sounds,  lots of Mod stuff, not sure how long it had been going but seemed a long time, Id get in there straight away, doormen would whisk you down the front and in,  loved that place now sadly gone.  Aniother place was upstairs at the Monarch  in Camden the upstairs room was bouncing more of a soul club, that.  Were talking 80s tho. 

Love these flyers in this post-awesome 

Edited by Bunderthollox
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/02/2019 at 14:10, Sceneman said:

there was only 1 the scene club in ham  yard and it gets very few mentions ..georgie fame and blue flames was the biggest down there but he never mentions it ,,always the flamingo .but it wasnt a MOD hangout like the scene club ..

guy stevens was DJ

zoot money and a host of stars inc the who and bo diddley played there ..and the beatles allegedly but i never saw em there

Hey there, we're currently making a documentary film on Guy Stevens. Love to know your experiences down at The Scene - especially on Monday nights when Guy was DJ-ing.  Mike

Social source share

On 16/02/2019 at 15:47, Sceneman said:

heres a piccy of my old club card issued in august 1963 ..scene only lasted a few years but they were good years ..theres a photo of me in a parka being dragged out by cops during a drug raid on the front of a sunday paper and subsequent appearance at Bow street magistrates court on a charge of being in possession of ampethamines 

scene club.JPG

Wonderful stuff! : )

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Dimples said:

1964 @ The Scene Club (Ham Yard. London)

Thanks for replying.

We're currently in production on a documentary film on Guy Stevens. As such, we're looking to track down as much archive material (photos, footage, flyers & ads etc) as possible - specifically around the time Guy was DJ-ing at The Scene. If you have anything you can share - we'd love to see it. We will of course pay to license anything used in the final film. Do own these photos? These are great! Mike

Social source share

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

One week in London -- December 1965 ...

when you could go to 100's of different nights over a 10 day period & see dozens of great live acts (most UK based though) ...  Hedgehoppers Anonymous didn't qualify, but there were loads of good acts on at the silver Blades Ice Rink ...

BACK THEN it was normal to board over say an ice rink or a swimming baths pool, to put on a dance (R&B night even).

LndnClubsDec65.jpg

TonySimonGroupGig3.jpg

BirdsShowGig.jpg

SilverBladesStrthm.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!