Calvin Leavy ....There's irony and then there is complete irony

I came across this info on Calvin Blues man and Producer from Arkanas and thought would share it

Calvin James “Slim” Leavy, was born in Arkansas, USA, on April 20, 1940, he was 70-years-old when he died, June 6, 2010, 

One of Calvin Leavy's best known songs was about the state prison in southeast Arkansas. 

"They sent me to Cummins baby, down on Cummins Prison Farm..." 

Leavy was jailed for the last two decades of his life on drug charges. 

"Down there I started thinking, thought I'd tell you some of it in this song..." 

Prison spokeswoman Dina Tyler says he died Sunday afternoon... likely of complications from diabetes. 

I think there may had been some sad irony in that one of his more famous songs was Cummings Prison Farm which was recorded before he ever came to prison, and certainly before he was incarcerated at Cummings. He didn't spend much time at Cummings, less than a year, because of his ill health," Tyler said. 

Leavy had been convicted in 1992, accused of running a drug ring in Little Rock. 

As a result of his convictions, he was sentenced to life plus 25 years. In May of 2000, then Governor Huckabeen commuted his sentence to 75 years, which meant, had he lived, he would have been eligible for parole in just about a year," Tyler said. 

Calvin.jpg

Calvin leavy.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I came across this info on Calvin Blues man and Producer from Arkanas and thought would share it

Calvin James “Slim” Leavy, was born in Arkansas, USA, on April 20, 1940, he was 70-years-old when he died, June 6, 2010, 

One of Calvin Leavy's best known songs was about the state prison in southeast Arkansas. 

"They sent me to Cummins baby, down on Cummins Prison Farm..." 

Leavy was jailed for the last two decades of his life on drug charges. 

"Down there I started thinking, thought I'd tell you some of it in this song..." 

Prison spokeswoman Dina Tyler says he died Sunday afternoon... likely of complications from diabetes. 

I think there may had been some sad irony in that one of his more famous songs was Cummings Prison Farm which was recorded before he ever came to prison, and certainly before he was incarcerated at Cummings. He didn't spend much time at Cummings, less than a year, because of his ill health," Tyler said. 

Leavy had been convicted in 1992, accused of running a drug ring in Little Rock. 

As a result of his convictions, he was sentenced to life plus 25 years. In May of 2000, then Governor Huckabeen commuted his sentence to 75 years, which meant, had he lived, he would have been eligible for parole in just about a year," Tyler said. 

Calvin.jpg

Calvin leavy.jpg

also came out on soul beat records 102

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!