Sad News Member Simonb Rip

Mike

Just found out that Simon Bendle a member of this site (user name: Simonb) was murdered this weekend.

Only knew Simon through his posts on here and the broad soul and funk forum (username slyguy2), and while not the most profilic poster on here, he was a long time member of this site (am sure he had a other earlier username as well) and had always found his contributions worthwhile and interesting reading.

His death has left two children fatherless and the broad soul and funk forum has set up a fund raising auction, its aim is set out below

This Auction is to help raise money for his children hoping that it may help during this very difficult time or in the future.

full details of this auction can be found here

https://www.fryer-mantis.co.uk/modules.php?...wforum&f=12

along with the forum thread about this sad news

https://www.fryer-mantis.co.uk/modules.php?...opic&t=7970

am looking at ways how this site can assist with this fund rasing auction and will post later

however it is easy to join the forum and take part

Simons avitar which think he used throughtout his time on here and sure many will regonise is below

av-1467.jpg

RIP Simon

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Glawsters Best

respect to Simon sad news i knew him from gfm family as a member of the family i know we will feel his loss my condolences go out to his two children i will give him a mention on my show tomorrow nite wednesday 7pm-9pm

Leon

talcum powder soul

www.gloucesterfm.com

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

had many fights with him on the flipside r'n'b list and he was a very nice man ...... still stunned about this

Davie

Indeed. Sad shocking news.

As already mentioned, interesting posts always from Simon, with depth.

Simsy, I'm just saying that The Northern Scene hasn't always played pure soulful music - You know JUST PURE SOUL.

Although undoubtedly Northern and the dealers on the scene, have been by far the biggest influence on the widespread enjoyment of all the best Vintage Black American music ever made! whistling.gif

Rest in peace Simon.

Social source share

as said in first post of this thread the broad soul and funk forum have set up a fund raising auction for the two children

its easy to join and take part - 10 sec sign up - see below

This Auction is to help raise money for his children hoping that it may help during this very difficult time or in the future.

full details of this auction can be found here

https://www.fryer-mantis.co.uk/modules.php?...wforum&f=12

however if would rather contribute by donation then can use the following email for paypal donations

slyguy_auctions@fryer-mantis.co.uk

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Extremely sad news- My condolences to his family

How old was he?

37! I put this link up on the other thread, and i said a few words about him, but it has disappeared, though it still says it was the last post!

Apart from the tragic circumstances, which are horrendous, the link tells a bit about him.

https://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/display...tentPK=16217391

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

What terribly shocking news.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends-what an awful christmas they are going to have.

R.I.P Simon

Social source share

Really bad news. I dont think I knew him either, although he does look familiar, maybe from my mod days.

How old were his children my thoughts are with them?.

Rip.

Kirstyxx

Social source share

Just found out that Simon Bendle a member of this site (user name: Simonb) was murdered this weekend.

Simons avitar which think he used throughtout his time on here and sure many will regonise is below

av-1467.jpg

RIP Simon

Mike, isn't that picture Simon Bridger from Brighton ?

Come on Southern soulies help me out here ?

Social source share

He looks nothing like Simon Bridger mate in that pic Dave..

Maybe my eyes need testing I thought it did, cheers Pete & Simsy & apologies for my mistake.

Didn't know Simon but dreadful news

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't think it is possible to imagine how hard life will be for his children.

So shocking. So sad.

Simon's close friend's are organising a tribute event for him and are in contact with his parents for advice on this. I don't think it is somthing they are rushing into for obvious reasons. A friend of Simon's has told me his children are with his parents and they "are lovely people and the kids are safe and being cared for".

As Baz and Mike have mentioned, the funk board has set up an auction with all donations going into a fund for his children along with any profits from the Soul Revolution launch night. As Mike said, the board over there is very easy to join and I'm sure there will be some interesting records put up for auction by some pretty serious collectors and will be well worth a look. :shades:

Social source share

Maybe my eyes need testing I thought it did, cheers Pete & Simsy & apologies for my mistake.

Didn't know Simon but dreadful news

I'm still here Dave thankfully, not sure if i knew Simon or not, may well have bumped into him before at a Mod or Soul do.

Tragic news, really shakes you up hearing stuff like this especially as he was one year younger than me!

RIP

Simon

Social source share

I met & chatted to Simon a few times at events in the Gloucestershire area, and news like this is difficult to take in. I'm really sad for the tragic loss of Simon, and also my thoughts go out for his Two Children, especially at a time when Families should be together.

R.I.P. Simon

Des Parker

Social source share

37! I put this link up on the other thread, and i said a few words about him, but it has disappeared, though it still says it was the last post!

Apart from the tragic circumstances, which are horrendous, the link tells a bit about him.

https://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/display...tentPK=16217391

Didn't know Simon, but have read the above link, it is so sad that someone with a passion for life and who gave thought to others and the environment around him- life ended so early and in such a tragic way. Can't begin to imagine how the children are feeling - from the article I read it appears they have not only lost their dad but there mum isn't in a position to comfort and support them in their greatest time of need. I don't know any facts just what I have read.

R.I.P Simon - my thoughts are with your children.

Karen

Social source share

Even though we worked on the same radio station i didn't know Simon that well - apart from soul-related chats of course - but it's sad news. I've just been sent this to the studio, so if you can listen online tonight from 9pm - 11pm, do so...

Hi Jerry

Just to let you know i will be joined by Andy G from the Funk Experience show. We are going to dedicate the broadcast to our tragically departed friend and former GFM DJ Simon Bendle.

The programme will be given over to music that we shared a parrelled love for, this will encompass sounds from the 'mod' R n B scene as well as funk, jazz and soul and the occaisional Nu Beats that he was always quick to latch on to.

Peace and love

Merry Christmas

Ade Simpson

Listen at www.gloucesterfm.com

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

I'm still here Dave thankfully, not sure if i knew Simon or not, may well have bumped into him before at a Mod or Soul do.

Hi Simon,

Edited by Dave G
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

The programme will be given over to music that we shared a parrelled love for, this will encompass sounds from the 'mod' R n B scene as well as funk, jazz and soul and the occaisional Nu Beats that he was always quick to latch on to.

Peace and love

Merry Christmas

Ade Simpson

Listen at www.gloucesterfm.com

for sure always receptive to new music so long as it was good - he always took over the dancefloor at the old Black Cat to Ledisi's Good Lovin' for example. I have been taken aback by this this week, and images of a smiling and effervescent Simon, keep coming back. I am truly saddened.

Social source share

This is terrible ohmy.gif

I don't know what happened here except his partner is supposedly the person who murdered him - people only hear about women being abused in relationships ... I just hope the poor man didn't suffer whilst she did whatever she did to him.

His kids must be absolutely devasted by this ... why don't people think or get help before things go too far :)

I didn't know Simon but my thoughts are with his children and the rest of his family at this awfully sad time

Edited by Mandy
Social source share

Didn't know Simon, but have read the above link, it is so sad that someone with a passion for life and who gave thought to others and the environment around him- life ended so early and in such a tragic way. Can't begin to imagine how the children are feeling - from the article I read it appears they have not only lost their dad but there mum isn't in a position to comfort and support them in their greatest time of need. I don't know any facts just what I have read.

R.I.P Simon - my thoughts are with your children.

Karen

Echo everything Karen has said here, I think she has put it over beautifully .

Social source share

Have read this thread over and over and still can't quite grasp the fact that a woman killed her partner and left her children parentless.

The sense of loss that these children must be feeling is immeasurable. My heartfelt thoughts go out to them both, along with the rest of the family

My thoughts and good wishes go out to all that will be grieving the loss of a loved one over Christmas x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!