stevegods

Gordon Banks - RIP

What a goalie - what a person .

Gordon Banks: World Cup winning goalkeeper dies aged 81

17 minutes ago
Watch: Banks makes wonder save to deny Pele at 1970 World Cup

England's 1966 World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks has died aged 81.

Regarded as one of the game's greatest in his position, Banks was named Fifa goalkeeper of the year six times and earned 73 caps for England.

He is perhaps best known for his wonder save from Pele during the 1970 World Cup against Brazil.

Born in Sheffield, he won the League Cup with Stoke and Leicester, before retiring in 1973.

"It is with great sadness that we announce that Gordon passed away peacefully overnight," his family said.

"We are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him."

England and Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling was among the first to pay tribute, tweeting: "Of course there was that save, but it's so much more we are mourning today. RIP Gordon Banks. England legend, your legacy will live on."

Former England striker Gary Lineker said: "An absolute hero of mine, and countless others, England's World Cup winner was one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, and such a lovely, lovely man."

"A World Cup winner, a legend. RIP Gordon Banks," tweeted Leicester and England defender Harry Maguire, while Watford keeper Ben Foster said: "Had the pleasure of meeting you as an 18-year old-with my Dad, and him being completely star struck by you. Total gent. You will always be a member of the Goallys Union."

So sad the Gordon has passed on, Yes as mentioned he will be remembered  by many an Oldie on here but if the younger ones on here want to see why he was so revered as such a legend goal keeper look up some of the amazing saves he pulled out of the can until an eye injury cut short the career of an amazing goal keeper and a True Gent, Shame he never received a Knighthood as he had a Brazilian Citizenship, Sad day indeed Rest In Peace Gordon Banks

Edited by RICK SCOTT
wrong information deleted

It was my impression the Peter Bonetti was “ The Cat “ , stand to be corrected but that Chelsea team was my boyhood second team . 

Banks played on for many years with one one eye and was a real true gent of the game ! 

6 minutes ago, stevegods said:

It was my impression the Peter Bonetti was “ The Cat “ , stand to be corrected but that Chelsea team was my boyhood second team . 

Banks played on for many years with one one eye and was a real true gent of the game ! 

Yes Thinking about it you may well be right, My memory isn't what it used to be, Thank you for pointing it out, Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT

52 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Bonetti ( the cat )   was a very good keeper but banks kept him on the bench . Is Roger banks the dj the son of Gordon ?( I'm sure someone introduced me to him once )

His nephew is the Pulp drummer Nick Banks.

Absolute class - I was lucky enough to do some coaching with him in the 80's and the first thing he did was make myself and a couple of the other coaches a cup tea.  No airs and graces - just a gentleman!!

RIP Gordon

Gordon you were a true gentleman. 

Thanks for all the memories especially the penalty save from Geoff Hurst at Upton Park. R I P

Goodnight and God bless

51839662_10158087758919638_1197920546981937152_o.thumb.jpg.283ab4618e9b43206b7888639ee741c1.jpg

Edited by spook
add photo

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.