NEW RELEASES... YOU BUY 'EM?

Dave Moore

NEW RELEASES... YOU BUY 'EM?  

1. 1. Over the past couple of years the global soul scene has seen a welcome resurgence of both vintage material and brand new material released on quality vinyl.  Some of it creating quite a stir and having to be re-released within weeks.  Thought it might be interesting to gauge peoples interest in new releases by means of a Poll which I'll leave here for a week or so. /So, how much newly release material do you usually now buy?  Say in a 6 month period?

• All of them.
    • None of them
    • More than 5 individual releases.
    • Less than 5 individual releases.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 19/02/19 at 22:53

Guest Shufflin

so for example the new Alexis Evans 45 has just been announced, limited edition 45, all over that, pre-ordered

generally always get any that have a limited run, vintage stuff if first time on vinyl etc

Social source share

I've said all of them, but in reality that cannot be true....there's just too much.  But it's the nearest category of the 4 by far for me.

LP/12"/45/CD/MP3.........house, soul....dancers, ballads......as much as I can that I like.

I suspect I don't buy "all" relative to what a lot of you guys consider "all" to be.......i.e. just new releases on (mainly) 7" & LP vinyl.  i don't buy only 45's just because they are 45's.

Format doesn't matter to me......if I like it I have it.  I've said before that it makes no sense at all to select your music on format.  Preferred format yes, sure.........but not exclusively at the exclusion of other great music..........that's madness for anyone seriously into their music IMVHO!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, shufflin said:

so for example the new Alexis Evans 45 has just been announced, limited edition 45, all over that, pre-ordered

generally always get any that have a limited run, vintage stuff if first time on vinyl etc

Do you buy limited run even if you don’t like it?  Not looking for a debate/argumet etc just interested.  I probably did at one time with some labels but now I just buy what I like. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Hippy

Recently started buying again, if its brilliant in my opinion, I will buy it if its affordable. Whether 60s previously unreleased, obscure, modern, new, motown, classic oldie. album. Stuff like Kent & Soul Junction absolutely.

Edited by Soul Hippy
Tt much info, to many opinions, better in another thread
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
6 hours ago, chalky said:

Do you buy limited run even if you don’t like it?  Not looking for a debate/argumet etc just interested.  I probably did at one time with some labels but now I just buy what I like. 

sometimes I do if I'm being honest, but mostly get what I like

vintage stuff only what I really like as it can get expensive as you know

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

so some new records I bought upon release over the last few years or so (check 'em out on Discogs, don't worry I'm not a seller)

- Grace Love - Fire

- Benjamin & Right Direction - Light of my life

- Big Lee Dowell - What I done wrong

- thee baby cuffs - where did our pride go (US release only, lowrider/deep soul, very rare on the pre-sale/demo copy, only 20 exist, I'd say v hard)

among others

well worth getting imo 🙂

Social source share

1 hour ago, shufflin said:

so some new records I bought upon release over the last few years or so (check 'em out on Discogs, don't worry I'm not a seller)

- Grace Love - Fire

- Benjamin & Right Direction - Light of my life

- Big Lee Dowell - What I done wrong

- thee baby cuffs - where did our pride go (US release only, lowrider/deep soul, very rare on the pre-sale/demo copy, only 20 exist, I'd say v hard)

among others

well worth getting imo 🙂

You should look out for the Grace Love lp, some far better tracks on it than Fire. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Hippy

Check out 100 club event listing, Ady has put this up

Snatches of 8 new unreleased 60s soul tracks getting a 100 Club preview at 11.30 on Saturday 23rd Feb

You can hear them there

Social source share

Just wonderful and its take that excuse away for the new budding dj/collector who makes excuses to play boots, or just never starts. Think im getting old as there is something not quite right about seeing a bar code on the label. silly I know, give me a slap next time you see me xxx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My view is that what we have today - in terms of the limited number of pressings of new releases - is exactly as it was in the 50s and 60s when independent record labels sprang up everywhere. The main difference now, courtesy of the wonderful thing called the internet, is that instead of (let's say) an Ohio group only being able to distribute locally - typically off the back of gigs they've performed in colleges, local hops and night clubs, etc, - they can still be local but distribute globally.

For sure, that global reach is also akin to the local reach a group might have had way back then in that they still needed to "break out" (to use the old music industry term) some how - invariably through local radio station air-play (which in turn gets the songs noticed in national US music-industry magazines like Billboard, Music World, Cashbox, and others). Good distributers are also needed, as is marketing ability and word-of-mouth (exactly as happens in places like Soul Source, or in Facebook groups, where like-minded people gather).

Where limited edition releases are concerned today, social media has - in the main - taken the place of the aforementioned industry mags.  So many times in the Facebook age I've seen a frenzy of greed for new releases from the "Northern Soul" scene, which results in people buying up as many copies of a 45 as they can, just in the same way ticket touts buy in bulk to resell at extortionate profits to a needy "must-be-there" public.

Back in the 50s and 60s, such demand was welcomed, simply because it meant you needed to press up more copies of your limited, locally pressed  45 to cater for the growing demand (hurray, more sales, and more success for our group). Today though, as we've even witnessed on here, some speculators loudly object when the records they're touting for profit are made more readily available to an eager public; something that, obviously, benefits the group, the songwriters and musicians, the producers, and the small record label.

I absolutely welcome the superbly healthy situation we're in today, where music can be made local but sold global. If not for the easy accessibility of many of today's new releases, I guess I might have had to go to some imaginary venue somewhere to hear the latest "exclusive" or more likely the latest "cover-up" tune, played by demi-God DJs, and then try to find a ridiculously priced copy - or a freshly minted bootleg - of it (which of course, and very sadly, often happens anyway).

New releases - bring them on. Never was there a time when the musical output of so many local, independent record labels was available to so many appreciative people. Happy days!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, Smileys said:

its take that excuse away for the new budding dj/collector who makes excuses to play boots, or just never starts.

just for fun here is a possible "DJ" set of newies

Benjamin & The Right Direction - Light of My Life – Palmetto St

Bobby Oroza - Your Love Is Too Cold – Big Crown

The James Hunter Six - Whatever It Takes – Daptone

Big Lee Dowell and The Cannonball - What I Done Wrong – Cannonball

Grace Love and the True Loves – Fire – We Coast

Lee Fields & The Expressions - Make the World – Big Crown

Myles Sanko - Forget Me Not (Rob Hardt Remix) – Legere

Did You See Her- The Jay Vons – Wick

Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon – Kent

Tanika Charles - Endless Chain – Record Kicks

Carlton Jumel Smith - I Can't Love You Anymore – Timmion

Where Did Our Pride Go - Thee Baby Cuffs w/ The M-Tet – Raza promo

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I used to but after the Ben & the right direction within weeks became a£100 + record I  became disillusioned with the whole thing ! Having said that just ordered the Fun and Funk 45 so I guess I’m back in the game (because it’s brilliant !!!)

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
27 minutes ago, Mark R said:

I can't understand the obsession with Fire, what about the other 45?!!

Mark I got it direct from the artist back in the day, was surprised as anyone when it blew up and even more so when it was booted ffs

it's a great sound though in my ears, personal taste and all that

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

7 hours ago, shufflin said:

just for fun here is a possible "DJ" set of newies

Benjamin & The Right Direction - Light of My Life – Palmetto St

Bobby Oroza - Your Love Is Too Cold – Big Crown

The James Hunter Six - Whatever It Takes – Daptone

Big Lee Dowell and The Cannonball - What I Done Wrong – Cannonball

Grace Love and the True Loves – Fire – We Coast

Lee Fields & The Expressions - Make the World – Big Crown

Myles Sanko - Forget Me Not (Rob Hardt Remix) – Legere

Did You See Her- The Jay Vons – Wick

Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon – Kent

Tanika Charles - Endless Chain – Record Kicks

Carlton Jumel Smith - I Can't Love You Anymore – Timmion

Where Did Our Pride Go - Thee Baby Cuffs w/ The M-Tet – Raza promo

I did a two hour show at Christmas

Social source share

Personally I buy any I listen to and like.

Mostly 60ts unreleased, but open minded.

Find it very hard to keep up with what's released. 

Prices vary and its not cheap just buying the ones you want.

There is a FB page but its not so contributed to as much after a busy start.

I'd probably pick more up if I liked them with greater knowledge and time to search out.

Its been very welcome to have these 45s come out. 

Last I purchased was MD Records, Fun Family.....

Any recommends welcome.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Kev John said:

My vote was less than 5 new records bought !

I'm very selective in my buys & i only get what i like 

To my ears there are to many mediocre sounds coming out 

That's only my opinion 

I'd have thought that's always been the case. Imagine the stuff sandwiched between the classics back in the day! 

Dave 

Social source share

After a 2 weeks Poll I think this can close now.  Thanks to all who voted in any capacity, it threw up some interesting percentages. One of the most interesting to me was that 12.5% don't buy a single new release at all.  Kinda reflects the way the Northern Scene has gone musically over the past couple of decades? Went to a gig a few weeks ago and instead of a taxi... thought I'd booked a tardis!  LOL!  No matter to me as I like it all anyway, long as I know what's on the Menu.  😉

Dave 

• Up vote 1
Social source share