West Coast Rarity

Soulfulsolutions

Brilliant girl group double sider up for grabs…..
PM any questions or to reserve

Tiaras – Love’s made a connection / You’re my man – Seton 777 Ex+ £1000

Just when you think that it may be easy to pin information down, along come the Tiaras, 3 groups in fact, the Los Angeles outfit who we are focusing on here, another from New Jersey and the girls from Toronto who I have a date with but are on a long rain check!

Our LA Tiaras; Latish Thelma Harvell, Joyce Williams and Edna Woods, are most famous for backing Rita (Graham) who was reputedly drafted in at the last minute by the producer Lou Baretto to lead on “Gone with the wind has my love”, probably the most famous release from Lew Bedells fabulously rich Dore catalogue. Rita who is still performing in Jazz circles said she never knew the girls, who were a studio backing group. The Tiaras actually recorded the Seton sides in 66, well before Dore. They later emerged on a previously unknown take of “Gone with the wind” fronted this time by Gloria Jones, but its hard to work out whether they backed her on the mid 60s Uptown releases and an alternate take, or by some modern day feat of engineering. There are similarities between the Seton and several Dore releases, with Jack Eskew and Rob Baumgardner featuring as arranger (Eskew) and writers. Clearly a close knit circle and the lone 777 release on Seton still much of a mystery, but 2 class sides both fit for the Northern scene, so if you don’t know the flip, you’re in for a treat. Not bad for a backing group!

Our Jersey City girls were; Lilly Hammond, Lois Joiner, Lorraine Robinson, Margie Godbolt who from Tiaras went on to become the Pets on MGM and Carnival, and latterly the Lovettes on Carnival. They were close to Phil Terrell. Our Canadian girls were; Arlene Trotman, Brenda Russell, Colina Phillips and Jackie Richardson. Their Op-Art double sider no longer a close kept secret, hence my long rain check! Let’s be grateful Chicago’s Gloria and the T-Airas - I’m satisfied – Betty, took copyright seriously!

Remains a very hard to find 45, probably more so than R&Ts on Dore. As you can see in the pictures there is label wear on both sides, less on the top side with a green X. If you are not worried about aesthetics, then this is for you, because the vinyl on both sides is Excellent Plus playing Mint Minus. Advice was that I could ask for more, but I am taking label wear into consideration.

PayPal as friends or add 4% or bank transfer please.

Postage:
£9.50 - Special Delivery
Overseas on Request

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!