Solmon King Visit to Barrow-in-Furness? 1968

Paulmc

I came across this picture of a visit to Barrow-in-Furness by Solomon King (it is the right person?). It blew me away, first of all I never took him for being white and that fact that he ever would come to Barrow-in-Furness. It turns out he was fundraising for the local Youth Club this was just over 50 years ago (sept 1968).

Can anyone validate that this was the Solomon King that sung "This Beautiful Day"

Thanks

Solomon King1.GIF

Social source share

Yes. I would imagine there would be a video on you tube of him singing She Wears My Ring on top of the pops which was a massive hit in about 1967. Although when you listen to both records the vocals are very different.

Also his real surname was levy which might be a clue as to when they released This Beautiful Day a second time it was credited to Levi Jackson?

Edited by tobytyke
Add
Social source share

Yep, thats definitely "the" Solomon King, aka Levi Jackson. (Not, as the link below suggests, Solomon Burke). 

"This Beautiful Day" was probably one of the most massive tunes of 72-73. Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when I remember the effect it had on the dance floor. Happy days indeed. 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

40 minutes ago, tobytyke said:

Yes. I would imagine there would be a video on you tube of him singing She Wears My Ring on top of the pops which was a massive hit in about 1967. Although when you listen to both records the vocals are very different.

Also his real surname was levy which might be a clue as to when they released This Beautiful Day a second time it was credited to Levi Jackson?

He did indeed live in Manchester for a while. His dad actually used to do business with my uncle on occasion. 

Columbia re-released TBD as being by Levi Jackson purely as a result of interest from the scene, or so the story goes. Made it sound as though it was a black american artist. Pretty sure that the tune was being played as early as 71, but to me, it really does remind me of that mid 72 to mid 73 "golden" period.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

2 hours ago, tobytyke said:

I found this after some digging around

Country/Rock Musician. A native of Lexington, Kentucky, he was born Allen Verner Levy, but used the stage names of Solomon King, Levi Jackson, and Randy Leeds. He is best remembered for his hit songs, "She Wears My Ring", "My Oh My", "I'm Gonna Live Till I Die", and for his association with Elvis Presley's backing band, "The Jordanaires", of which he was a member. The 6'8, King was a true music fan from an early age. He grew up listening to both pop and country music, and by the age of ten he had made his first stage appearance. By the age of 21, King was performing professionally regularly. After a few recordings using the name of Randy Leeds, he became the first white singer to back the legendary jazz singer Billie Holiday. In 1960 he married famed Canadian journalist Henny Lowy. King also became a singer in "The Jordaniares", with whom he played with until he moved to London, England, in 1965. After his move to London, england, he adopted the name of Solomon King and became a solo artist. He later signed a recording contract with music manager Gordon Mills, who also had signed the likes of Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck. In 1967, he recorded his biggest hit, "She Wears My Ring". The song which was written by Boudleaux and Felice Bryant and recorded by Roy Orbison five years earlier, became a huge hit across Europe, landing on the #3 spot on the U.K. Pop Charts for five straight weeks. King's next singles, "When We Were Young", also fared well, hitting the British Top 40, but his poularity soon waned. His next projects included recorded Jewish songs such as, "My Yiddishe Momma", and wartime songs, "The White Cliffs Of Dover". He then played the circuit for awhile, but returned to record the 1971 gospel single, 'This Beautiful Day,' under the name of Levi Jackson. In 1974, he recorded the title theme song to the 1974 film, "The Doll Squad," but after that he returned to the touring circuit where he stayed until his death. His marriage to Henny Lowy ended in divorce in 1980. King returned to the United States and passed away in Norman, Oklahoma, at the age of 73, after a battle with cancer. A war veteran, he served in the United States Air Force. On his passing, he was buried with full military honours in Arlington National Cemetery, in Arlington, Virginia, under his birthname of Allen Verner Levy.

Solomon.jpg

Levi.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Added Image
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting story.

September 2017. Just come back from DJing at Hitsville Weekender in Mojacar and we're at a wedding in Keswick. Sitting at a table with four other guests we didn't know, ( tamla on as the background music) so Mrs B starts to interview these four about who they are and why they were there.

Anyway, we get around to talking about the background music and this guy says' my dad was a soul singer and had a top ten hit' to which Mrs B replies ' what's his name' to which the answer comes ' Solomon King but you won't have heard of him'. I then start singing Beautiful Day and the guy looks aghast. Mrs B says' you weren't expecting that were you?'. Interestingly the guy, Alex King, had never heard the record so he was soon 'googling' and playing it to his wife and their two friends  saying 'that's my dad singing'.

We had a brilliant day/evening. Unfortunately he did not have a box of 50 stashed in the loft!!!!

The SWONS ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for the comments all

Julian that co-incidence was a cracking moment in time and a brilliant story. The interview with Kev Roberts and Edwin Starr on that CD you sent me was very interesting I must have played it 20 times. Edwin came across as a great guy. I loved the story of Chuck Jackson wanting to buy the rights Agent 00 Soul. Remember that one ringing around the Mecca.

Anyway, Julian you have something in common with Solomon King having been to Barrow-in-Furness (another magical moment in time?), Looking forward to seeing you in August for a catch up.

All the best

Social source share

What a fascinating thread! Beautiful Day is brilliant, uplifting and with a very worthy message.  To hear that Solomon was on our doorstep is incredible. 😮

Social source share

13 hours ago, Mal C said:

Here is the ‘Aussie’ release of Beautiful day, often wondered where else it came out, other than the Uk.

mal

CA09FFAE-A98C-4B9F-BB6B-45E353FCFC35.jpeg

Pretty sure I saw a Hong Kong issue many, many years ago. Very similar in appearance to the Aussie one.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!