Thinking back to the Nineties

Stevie

13 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I had a car! 

People still travelling distances to events so if you turned up at a niter it was full of familiar faces.

Two niters on during the same night was frowned upon so clashes were uncommon and if it did happen the word 'political' raised it's head.

Early years at Wigan were exciting but during the nineties the music had matured and DJs more discerning about what they played.

I didn't go to Stafford so loads of records that I had never heard before.

Trying to identify, from references made, who it was getting slagged off in Manifesto magazine by Mr Potato Head.

"Back to Bob's" -  (will strike a chord with N Wales crowd) 

Great, great times - could ramble on for ages but this is enough to be getting on with..

Totally agree , best times for me too , and yes you’re right on the money about the music ‘matured’ and the discerning Djs imo 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the other thing about the 90's was how the internet allowed everyone to grow knowledge of the sounds, sure the internet was crap back then but I remenber lots of soul internet radio stations and soul sites popping up everywhere, I was a member of a soul chat group which had members from all over the world, there was just a general boom of interesst in the music in the nineties if I remember correctly

Social source share

4 minutes ago, shufflin said:

the other thing about the 90's was how the internet allowed everyone to grow knowledge of the sounds, sure the internet was crap back then but I remenber lots of soul internet radio stations and soul sites popping up everywhere, I was a member of a soul chat group which had members from all over the world, there was just a general boom of interesst in the music in the nineties if I remember correctly

I don’t think I got onto the net till about 99! Lol

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, Colnago said:

I don’t think I got onto the net till about 99! Lol

97 in my case, it was a real eye opener wansn't it, I remember this guy from Australia he had an incredible collection and didn't mind sharing sounds

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I remember seeing all these suddenly available sales lists lol and everything became accessible, mp3's of stuff you'd never heard, lots of lists of records for sale , event lists, internet radio stations, no wonder it boomed after that, I think the BBC got into it ?

plus some quality events were put on, a nice one near London Bridge and the stand out Cala Gran in 1999, 100 club, there was this little  place in Lancashire that played mostly 'upfront soul' whatever that is nowadays, sad to say can't remember the name

Social source share

18 minutes ago, PhilT said:

I hear you and while that had its benefits it also dramatically reduced the need for  people to get off their arses in order to hear, learn about and ‘find’ stuff. 

Therefore, alongside all the other reasons we’re all familiar with, that helped underpin the emergence of the ‘everyone’s a dj’ culture which has knackered the scene in so many ways.

You’ve only got to observe the fantasists online or out and about;  I liken them to the people who were covered in patches but who never actually went to a scooter rally, never mind  on a bloody scooter 😂

All became a bit too easy. You had to really want it at one time;  If it mattered enough you stuck with it.

So, some good times on a personal level but also a time when it started along the road to the parody it is today. Had no idea at the time of course.

Amen Brother Threlfall !

Dave

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I was still getting used to the Abacus in the 90's , let alone mobile phones and internet, but some of the music I had the pleasure of hearing during the decade surpassed my earlier days from the 70's onward, and I'm talking about superb 60's stuff alone, let alone other great items from the 70's/80's....Great Times Indeed......

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Diversity in music as well. Remember Roger Banks clearing floors at some venues leaving 5 to 10 dancers (including myself) plenty of room to enjoy some great R&B. Some people just never came to terms with it hence the opening of R&B rooms at nighters and eventually separate venues. Modern rooms followed a similar path, although Sam I think continued to play to the main floor with some fantastic sounds at the time. Then of course there was Butch offering something more traditional but of the highest quality. Winsford had three rooms at one time - Main room, Modern room and another room {don't know what it was called} which was frequented by people in anoraks and wooly beanie hats?? 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, Stevie said:

and another room {don't know what it was called} which was frequented by people in anoraks and wooly beanie hats?? 

tent room

Social source share

4 hours ago, Benji said:

Soul source started off as a chat group. Our at least its predecessor was. 96/97ish

nah, Soul Source started as a straight forward website in the summer 97

later (maybe a  couple of years later) the site had an email newsletter feature which evolved into 'soul talk' an email discussion/chat  list that ran alongside the website 👍  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, chalky said:

The 90s was the beginning of the death of the newies scene we had in the 80s IMO beginning with Keele.  Keele was always a good night with a great record bar but it was oldies and more would follow.  

The 80s just about every allnighter was still newies influenced.  By the end if the 90s the newies scene was in a poor way and oldies ruled the roost. Thats not to say it was dead altogether, we still had Bradford, 100 Club, Winsford, Northern Cowboys, Wilton etc.  Many a great time.  Yarmouth then Cleethorpes were fantastic weekends  

The onset of the 90s was definately a turning point though and heavily influenced by the returnees unwilliing to listen to something new and promoters unwilling to be adventurous. 

Agree on keele I hated it , looking back yes it was probably the sign of the storm brewing, I loved the Wilton , Bradford etc all nighters. For me it was places like pitches/Phoenix that evoke great memories.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

I think this place flew the flag...

As I worked abroad a bit in the 90s like Scotland Wales Ireland and India.... A mate was sending me cds of the latest stuff getting played across the board. No Ska or rock n roll as I recall...

Ed

Screenshot_20190218-074047.png

Canal Tavern was a soul music venue, the place credited as the birth of crossover or at least the term although it was widely played across the country. Never a bad night there first under Gary Welsh and Steve Kilgour and later Rod Dearlove. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The early 90's was great, I got to hear a whole new wealth of records I had not heard before, some I liked some I didn't, but it was fantastic to hear new stuff. Keele, Bretby, Winsford, Tony's Blackburn, Wilton, The Ritz Manchester, Allbrighton, Middleton, same faces, really enjoyed it, made loads of new friends and met the wife.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The mid 90s onwards was great for me.  Some very good modern rooms alongside northern room at allnighters e.g. Bretby, Stoke and Winsford. In London, there were a lot of soul nights including These Old Shoes, Capitol Soul Club & Scenseville where the northern, I think, was pretty fresh.

There were also lots of new CD compilations to help further my knowledge.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

i never had internet til 2003 so the 90s was still about travelling..getting lists thru the post and lookin thru boxes at niters/allnighters for me and my bro.. but always had varied taste so the music was totally different depending whether we did northern or 70s/ crossover or modern do`s..never really noticed the returnee thing til 2000.........they are still bloody here tho 😖

• Up vote 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

i never had internet til 2003 so the 90s was still about travelling..getting lists thru the post and lookin thru boxes at niters/allnighters for me and my bro.. but always had varied taste so the music was totally different depending whether we did northern or 70s/ crossover or modern do`s..never really noticed the returnee thing til 2000.........they are still bloody here tho 😖

The internet was the start of the rot, of the great traditional allnighter Northern Soul scene! 

People did not need to go to allnighters anymore, to hear and keep up with all the latest sounds! 

Before the internet, if you did not go to allnighters you were out in the cold!

I know it can't be uninvented, so I suppose we have just got to make do, the way it is!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Just now, solidsoul said:

The internet was the start of the rot, of the great traditional allnighter Northern Soul scene! 

People did not need to go to allnighters to hear and keep up with all the latest sounds! 

Before the internet, if you did not go to allnighters you were out in the cold!

Many didn't know there was a Northern Soul scene happening, before they got online!

I know it can't be uninvented, so I suppose we have just got to make do with it, the way it is!

see it was quite ideal for me at that time..my marraige was suffering so i could  be more armchair and semi retire..look for bargains on the net ..pick and chose the venues i wanted to go to..and avoid the returnee`s/never really went in the first place crowds and venues..and of course the record collection wouldnt be what it is without it..that said socially mid 80s to mid 2000s  best of times and wouldnt swap for a gold pig

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the other thing I remember is the beginning of internet radio specifically for soul music, plus great shows on Jazz FM (R Searlings shows where he had guests on etc were great, would look forward to listen to them), and the revival of vinyl again after the CD revolution, spending hours in Beatin' Rhythm going through the racks of records and playing 'em on the shop decks, there was a broadening of tastes I reckon too

Social source share

6 minutes ago, shufflin said:

the other thing I remember is the beginning of internet radio specifically for soul music, plus great shows on Jazz FM (R Searlings shows where he had guests on etc were great, would look forward to listen to them), and the revival of vinyl again after the CD revolution, spending hours in Beatin' Rhythm going through the racks of records and playing 'em on the shop decks, there was a broadening of tastes I reckon too

Some of Richard's shows from the 90s on my mix cloud page.  

I don't really remember any internet radio in the 90s?  KTF Chat group was the main thing before Soul Source....oh and the start of eBay.

Social source share

If I think back it was new times for me, I dropped house stuff in 93, and went full time into soul. Went to places like Wulfrun hall / conoseurs soul club Wolverhampton,  travelled upto Leeds a bit, did lots of events in the midlands, record fairs with Mick smiths ten pounders!  All worth moola now.... then moved to Brighton, met folk like paul Sutton, Derek, Keith and Maxine, simon, Mary, div and all the mod crowd down there and went back to the 100 club again, first went in 87 with mates from Brum returned mid 9ts I guess... 

It was Beatin Rhythm, record reviews from Gene and Pete, mr potato head in manifesto, record fairs at the Brighton center, trips to the smoke on buses from Brighton, buying as much ‘Stafford’ stuff as you could...

then 98/99 hit and the London thing went into full swing...Brumie mick,  back door Kenny , new mates like mike Gibbs, simon from Swindon and all that lot, met my wife with the welsh lot at the 100 club, the two Nigel’s and carmen, lovely bloke he was Nigel.. loud shirts, always taking the piss!!  

The do’s all over London were great, we never looked back...!!! 

Bloody good innings!

mal

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
16 minutes ago, chalky said:

I don't really remember any internet radio in the 90s?

I remember listening to Live365 in late nineties, US site, had soul/funk stuff, we started listening to Solar FM (not internet obv) around then too if I remember the timelines correctly

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!