LEN

Down votes

Hi Folks,

We have had a re-think ref 'down votes' on people's posts.

They are only a 'I disagree' kinda thing anyway, but we feel they come across as a bit more negative than what they are meant for. The thinking is that if someone disagrees with someone else's post, it’s better if they challenge it by answering the post, rather than this 'thumbs down' with no explanation.

That said, we are replacing the 'down' button with a 'neutral smiley reaction’ (Disagree) and if this button is pressed, no one will get ‘minus’ points as they did before - Just because someone disagrees with a post, it really doesn't warrant losing points over.

Hopefully more people can get involved in the threads this way - Giving an opinion even if they prefer not to post so much.

But keep those posts coming - It’s what makes the site what it is! :wink:

Trialing for a week or so to see how it goes.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

And no more “thumbs up”, just the top hat and music icons?

Out of ignorant curiosity, what does each of them mean? I guess the top hat sort of signifies “hats off”, but the music notes? Is that sort of like “choon”? 😉

each icon has a tooltip which shows when you mouse over it

'listening' 'thanks' 'disagree' and 'up' are the current 4

don't think we have used 'thumbs up'

2 hours ago, LEN said:

Hi Folks,

They are only a 'I disagree' kinda thing anyway, but we feel they come across as a bit more negative than what they are meant for. The thinking is that if someone disagrees with someone else's post, it’s better if they challenge it by answering the post, rather than this 'thumbs down' with no explanation.

That said, we are replacing the 'down' button with a 'neutral smiley reaction’ (Disagree) and if this button is pressed, no one will get ‘minus’ points as they did before - Just because someone disagrees with a post, it really doesn't warrant losing points over.

Hopefully more people can get involved in the threads this way - Giving an opinion even if they prefer not to post so much.

All the best,

Nah, I think it's sometimes better to just let people know you strongly disagree with their post rather than get drawn into a protracted arguement over it. This current idea seems so wishy-washy that it's just not worth bothering with.

- Kev

20 minutes ago, KevinKent said:

Nah, I think it's sometimes better to just let people know you strongly disagree with their post rather than get drawn into a protracted arguement over it. This current idea seems so wishy-washy that it's just not worth bothering with.

- Kev

We'll see how it goes Kev, it still states that you disagree - I get your point though, and agree a small amount of posts may warrant a 'strong disagree'. But a Red 'thumbs down' arrow with no explanation can be interpreted in different ways.

Open to all opinions of course, and will keep or change depending on overall feed-back :wink:

All the best,

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

And no more “thumbs up”, just the top hat and music icons?

Out of ignorant curiosity, what does each of them mean? I guess the top hat sort of signifies “hats off”, but the music notes? Is that sort of like “choon”? 😉

The 'Arrow Up' is still there, which is the 'Thumbs Up' thingy.

2 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Don’t know whether this is a trifle brisk... but why not just drop the down vote all together, if folk want to comment, let em comment! 

It's a good point, but lots of folk read only, and don't want to post any comments - Hoping they may engage by at least hitting one of the buttons.

1 minute ago, LEN said:

But if you hit it accidentally there's no way of retracting it - or then giving a negative to balance things out.

1 hour ago, mike said:

each icon has a tooltip which shows when you mouse over it

'listening' 'thanks' 'disagree' and 'up' are the current 4

don't think we have used 'thumbs up'

Ah, right. I see that when hovering the mouse now I'm on my iMac. Couldn't see it before via my iPad. By "thumbs up" I actually should have said "up vote". 

2 minutes ago, LEN said:

Obvious to see via the iMac, but via the iPad I thought it was just the icon to tap on to bring up the other "like" options. Guess it was just me having a hard-of-thinking moment! 😳 

2 minutes ago, KevinKent said:

But if you hit it accidentally there's no way of retracting it - or then giving a negative to balance things out.

If you hover over that area if accidentally hitting it, you can hit the small cross above the arrow up, and that retracts it.

Try it on this post.

2 minutes ago, LEN said:

If you hover over that area if accidentally hitting it, you can hit the small cross above the arrow up, and that retracts it.

Try it on this post.

Yep, sorted.

10 minutes ago, LEN said:

We'll see how it goes Kev, it still states that you disagree - I get your point though, and agree a small amount of posts may warrant a 'strong disagree'. But a Red 'thumbs down' arrow with no explanation can be interpreted in different ways.

Open to all opinions of course, and will keep or change depending on overall feed-back :wink:

All the best,

Len. I was recently down voted because I said that people who buy records for profit don't belong on here. Not that I give a flying fcuk about the down button  comment type thing but there was no explanation given. 😁😁😁

Steve 

27 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Len. I was recently down voted because I said that people who buy records for profit don't belong on here. Not that I give a flying fcuk about the down button  comment type thing but there was no explanation given. 😁😁😁

Steve 

I may add a 'FFS!' button just on your posts Steve :D

One good thing about the current faves, top motown tracks and get em off Friday, sorry I mean get em up Friday, is that people post stuff for everyones' mutual entertainment and its lighthearted and good fun and we all learn from each other. Perhaps in this area the disagree button would not add to this and could perhaps create a bit of negativity where people disagree, but didn't need to, or wouldn't have thought to if the option hadn't been there. So in this context it might be unnecessary

Whereas on the freebasing, I could understand its use but again, when somebody has gone to the trouble to articulate a point of view and somebody else simply disagrees its a bit disappointing and does not add to the debate, rather than them articulating a counter point of view which happens at the moment.

If you are conducting a survey it would be useful, as would the FFS button you mentioned or to show appreciation for a really good record posting a FM icon would also be useful.

These are just some thoughts. Keep up the good work.

14 minutes ago, shufflin said:

maybe add a Facepalm button (for OVO topics) or even an OMG button (for crazy opinions) 🙂

please don't add anything creepy like a Heart button lol

:tumbleweed3: Current OVO icon

i can see me forgetting and giving people 'smiley faces' when it should be 'up voting'.

I just associate smiles with positive vibes not disagreement, but i did also think 'down votes' were harsh

2 minutes ago, Kenb said:

i can see me forgetting and giving people 'smiley faces' when it should be 'up voting'.

I just associate smiles with positive vibes not disagreement, but i did also think 'down votes' were harsh

I see what you mean, but the face has a straight 'non expression' mouth, and if you hover over any of the button choices before pressing, an explanation of what they are pops up (Hopefully people will get to know them pretty sharpish)

Thanks for all feed-back so far - I've run out of 'likes' (Up Votes) today :D

On 19/02/2019 at 14:33, LEN said:

Hi Folks,

All the best,

people get points

9 hours ago, IAN STACEY said:

people get points

Hiya,

Yes, see where your name is - You have 360 from your 649 posts. Actually, correction, they're not points, just 'likes' from other members. If you got an 'arrow down' (Thumbs down') from someone, the 'like' amount would reduce (Now not the case if you get a 'disagree' from someone)

It's just an indication of how your posts are received I suppose.

Apologies for the confusion.

All the best,

23 minutes ago, LEN said:

Hiya,

Yes, see where your name is - You have 360 from your 649 posts. Actually, correction, they're not points, just 'likes' from other members. If you got an 'arrow down' (Thumbs down') from someone, the 'like' amount would reduce (Now not the case if you get a 'disagree' from someone)

26 minutes ago, LEN said:

Hiya,

All the best,

All the best,

No prizes for points  then 

Hi Folks,

Just 'touching base' on this -

The use of the new button seems to have been adopted OK, and is being used regularly enough.

I'd say keep it, but of course open to others thoughts now it's been in place a while.

Thanks for any feed-back :wink:

All the best,

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts