Dave Thorley

• Replies 101
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylmaniac

I'm sure this must have been done before. But still, hidden away on many LP's are great tracks that should see the light of day but rarely do cuz so many DJ's don't like playing from LP's.

Let's have your fav's, I'll stick a few up in the next few mins

Dave

Here's a few;

Satisfaction unlimited-Bright city lights

Ronn matlock-I can't forget about you

Smoke-Now you're gone

Independents-luckyfellow

Ralph graham-Ain't no need

Ta Ray

Social source share

Can't Stop Being Your Fool : Candi Staton (Warner Bros LP track)

Rappin With My Sub Conscious : Heaven Sent & Ecstacy (LP track)

Keep On Keeping On : Marvin Holmes & Justice (Brown Door LP track)

Keep Trying: Mildred Clark (ABC LP track)

Cool Days Are Over: Step By Step (Brunswick LP track)

Every Fellas Girl: Leon Debousse (CBS Australia LP track)

Head Over Heels: Chuck Bridges & the LA Happening (Vault LP track)

That'll Be Johnny: Sarah Vaughan (Mainstream LP track)

Going Out of My Head : The Oncoming Times (Turbo LP track)

You'll Never Find Another: The Dynamics (Black Key LP track)

So Rare: Voices Of East Harlem (Just Sunshine LP track)

What'll It Take: The Jaedes (Alithia LP track)

Let Me Have My Way With You: Joe Simon (Compleat LP track)

Here I Go: Spread Love (LP track)

Love Its Getting Better: The Teri Nelson Group (Kama Sutra LP track)

Gotta Find A Way: Lou Rawls (Capitol LP track)

Here Is A Heart L: Ginji James (Brunswick LP track)

Little By Little Bit Bit By Bit: Classic Example (GSF LP track)

Rose: The Topics (MSI LP track)

Can't Keep My Hands To Myself: TS Monk (Mirage LP track)

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Guest vinylmaniac

And a few more;

MAJOR HARRIS -TWO WRONGS

J W MCGEE-OVER & OVER

SAM DEES -WHAT'S IT GONNA BE

DELLS-DON'T TRICK ME TREAT ME

BLUE NOTES- WE CAN MAKE IT

BARBARA MASON -WORLD IN CRISIS

Ta Ray

Social source share

Guest Craig the Manc

a few from me

bobby thurston-just ask me + all the other tracks on that side of the lp

try a piece of my love-clarence carter

dont want to pay the price -the manhattans

alexander oneal-since ive been loving you

also seem to remember zingara i surrender and beverly and duane i found love, any one got sound files of these as ive not heard them for ages, either pm me or post up

Here's one for all to listen to. I've PM'd you as well.

Cheers. thumbsup.gif

I_Surrender___Zingara.mp3

Social source share

A few more.............70's this time!

Chee Chee & Peppy - So glad you came my way - fookin brill mid tempo from an impossibly rare late 70's LP

The Diddy's - 'Can't remember the title cos i'm at work' (that's not the title by the way, i really can't remember the title, will post it later when i remember it!) - 'well off the wall' 70's dancer from another tough to find late 70's LP!

Jesse Butler - Let my love bring out the woman in you - another tough LP and a way better version of the former Lonnie Youngblood Modern spin!!!!!

Oh and Bobby Hutton 'Lend a hand' thumbsup.gif

More later

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Also contains a wicked version of his original ZZ & CO "Gettin' Ready For The Get Down".

Superb album Stevie Baby.

The Poser Man

Yes, I bought it (from Young Robin if i remember correctly) for this version BUT on tracking th'album found the version of 'Let my love bring out the woman in you' and it blew me away!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you already know BUT Jesse Butler was the lead singer with ZZ & Co. The LP version was him re-recording the orig 45 a couple of years later!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest vinylmaniac

Might help people to track these down if you give the LP title folks thumbsup.gif

No Problems!

MAJOR HARRIS -TWO WRONGS "my way"-atlantic

J W MCGEE-OVER & OVER "over & over"-scorpio

SAM DEES -WHAT'S IT GONNA BE "The show must go on" -atlantic

DELLS-DON'T TRICK ME TREAT ME "love connection" -murcury

BLUE NOTES- WE CAN MAKE IT "The truth has come to light" -glades

BARBARA MASON -WORLD IN CRISIS "transition" -buddah

Ta Ray

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Easy lover - spanky wilson - 20th century

12826 refosoul

Played this at Lightwater on Saturday - fantastic record, cleared the floor in about 3 sconds flat sad.gif

My favourite album track of the moment is Gladys Knight and the Pips' version of Edwin Starr's "Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy" from the "A Little Knight Music" album on Soul. I never ever owned this on vinyl so I've only become acquainted with it since it was issued on CD. Can't believe that Motown waited until Glad's last album of 'offcuts' to make it available. Or that it's taken me 31 years to connect with it!

TONE

Social source share

Played this at Lightwater on Saturday - fantastic record, cleared the floor in about 3 sconds flat :)

My favourite album track of the moment is Gladys Knight and the Pips' version of Edwin Starr's "Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy" from the "A Little Knight Music" album on Soul. I never ever owned this on vinyl so I've only become acquainted with it since it was issued on CD. Can't believe that Motown waited until Glad's last album of 'offcuts' to make it available. Or that it's taken me 31 years to connect with it!

TONE

Oh well Tony, me thinks the Spanky Wilson is another Gloria Scott, but just may take a while for others to agree. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'll Follow You - martha & the vandellas - tamla motown

12874 refosoul

Don't forget Martha & the Vandellas finest ever record (imho) from the 'Watchout' album, you also get the pleasant 'No more tear stained make up' too !

Just searched & the track dosen't appear to be posted, so here it is, from a lovely Canadian Stero copy too.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Oh well Tony, me thinks the Spanky Wilson is another Gloria Scott, but just may take a while for others to agree. :thumbsup:

I agree wholeheartedly that it has Gloria Scott possibilities, mate - that might actually be a good 'other thread' i.e. "Guaranteed Floorfillers That You Saw Clear A Floor"....

I always think our scene's ready for quality, it just sometimes take a little longer than other times to recognise it! :wicked:

TONE

Social source share

TONE

That's the beauty of our scene Tony isn't it!

There's always something new to (re)discover :thumbsup:

There's other killer cuts on this LP too!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Butler - Let my love bring out the woman in you - another tough LP and a way better version of the former Lonnie Youngblood Modern spin!!!!!

Agree! What a monster tune! Best track I heard at last year's

Yarmouth weekender actually, thanks to you Steve :thumbsup:

Actually this is the only LP I've bought in over 5 years or so :wicked:

Edited by cC B
Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(C.B @ Dec 22 2006, 09:42 AM) link

Yarmouth weekender actually, thanks to you Steve :thumbsup:

Actually this is the only LP I've bought in over 5 years or so :wicked:

Nice of you to say that Christian :wicked::wicked::wicked:

Actually, I haven't played it out as much as i really should :wicked:

Need to put that right in 2007

Take care mate and see you soon

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(C.B @ Dec 22 2006, 09:42 AM) link

Yarmouth weekender actually, thanks to you Steve :rolleyes:

Actually this is the only LP I've bought in over 5 years or so :thumbsup:

Didn't i put that on cd for you a while back ? think you wanted me to sell it to you, i did sell one to Mr goucher a few yarmouths ago now in the end.

Great album .

Social source share

Didn't i put that on cd for you a while back ? think you wanted me to sell it to you, i did sell one to Mr goucher a few yarmouths ago now in the end.

Great album .

Think you might have actually! Bought the LP from Craig Moerer in

the end, if I remember correctly :rolleyes:

Social source share

Strutt - Said You Didn't Love Him

Was also released as a 45rpm in Italy on Brunswick (with PS and all).

Flip of "Time moves on". Don't think it was released in the US, though.

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Something i forgot to put ont he CD swap

Nina Simone, Touching and Caring, can't remeber the label as still at work :angry:

But one of my all time faves.

Also Bobby King, If you don't want my love on Warner Bros, another stand out fave of mine.

Yes, that Bobby King album for Warners is far better than the one he did for Motown isn't it?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I agree wholeheartedly that it has Gloria Scott possibilities, mate - that might actually be a good 'other thread' i.e. "Guaranteed Floorfillers That You Saw Clear A Floor"....

I always think our scene's ready for quality, it just sometimes take a little longer than other times to recognise it! :sweatingbullets:

TONE

Yes, I remember Lou Ragland's "I Travel Alone" clearing the floor at Wigan before it eventually clicked!

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Sean

I used to think that the KIKI DEE "I DIG YOU BABY" was an album only release - I've treasured her album on UK Fontana for years and that track has been especially dear to my heart.

Anyway, it did get a 45 release in the USA on World Pacific - may well be demo only. Picked one up on EBay for next to nothing a couple of years ago !

Best

John

Good thinking Dave.

There's Loads of 'em!

The recent LP track CD Swap highlighted that.

Can't put any files up... as I'm in the middle of something...but here's my starter for 26 (all highly recommended LP only tracks).

1. Johnnie Taylor "Will You Love Me Forever" - Stax - From the LP "One Step Beyond"
  2. William Bell "Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt" - Stax - From The LP "Wow"
  3. Darrell Banks "Forgive Me" - Stax - From The LP "Here To Stay"
  4. Stairsteps "I'm The One Who Loves You" - Buddah - From The LP "Stay Close To Me"
  5. O'Jays "It's Too Strong" - Neptune - From The LP "The O'Jays In Philadelphia"
  6. David Ruffin "What You Gave Me" - Tamla Motown - From The LP "Feelin' Good"
  7. Johnny Sayles "Feeling Is Believing" - Dakar - From The LP "Man On The Inside"
  8. Three Degrees "Lonely Town" - Roulette - From The LP "Maybe"
  9. Nina Simone "Take Care Of Business" - Philips - From The LP "I Put A Spell On You"
  10. Kiki Dee "I Dig You Baby" - Philips - From the LP "Patterns"
  11. Percy Sledge "So Much Love" - Atlantic - From The LP "Warm And Tender Soul"
  12. Aaron Neville "How Many Times" - Minit - From the LP "Like It Is"
  13. Spellbinders "Baby I Miss You" - Columbia - From The LP "Magic Of The Spellbinders"
  14. Al Greene "Stop And Check Myself" - Action - From the LP "Back Up Train"
  15. Phil Flowers "Another Sleepless Night" - Dot - From The LP "Our Man In Washington"
  16. Freddie Scott "Don't Let Me Fall" - Probe - From the LP "I Shall Be Released"
  17. Willie Tee "Bring On The Heartaches" - Capitol - From the LP "I'm Only A Man"
  18. Gregg Jackson "One For The Road" - KYP - From The LP "One For The Road"
  19. Enchantment "I'm Who You Found Not Who You Lost" - RCA - From The LP "Soft Lights, Sweet Music"
  20. Little Anthony "Love Was Born for Me" - Song Bird - From the LP "Daylight"
  21. Ronnie Dyson "I Want To Be Where You Are" - Columbia - From the LP "Love In All Flavors"
  22. Marvin Sease "Love Me Or Leave Me" - London - From the LP "Marvin Sease"
  23. G C Cameron "I'm Gonna Give You Respect" - Motown - FromThe LP "Love Songs & Other Tragedies"
  24. Arthur Adams - "Special Kinda Lady" - A&M - From the LP "Love My Lady"
  25. Luther Ingram "Make You Feel Loved Again" - Profile - From The LP "Luther Ingram"
  26. Leon Haywood "Fair Warnin" - 20th Century - From The LP "Back to Stay"
thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Sean

I used to think that the KIKI DEE "I DIG YOU BABY" was an album only release - I've treasured her album on UK Fontana for years and that track has been especially dear to my heart.

Anyway, it did get a 45 release in the USA on World Pacific - may well be demo only. Picked one up on EBay for next to nothing a couple of years ago !

Best

John

Thanks John,

I didn't know it had ever had a 45 release... anywhere!

Prefer it to all other versions.

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for the World Pacific 45.

Great record IMO.

:sweatingbullets:

Sean

Social source share

Thanks John,

Just found this reference to it which, now I think about it, I'd checked before I put it on the CD and summised that it was a Promo Only.

Can't see any other reference to it on Google, so perhaps it was never officialy issued.

Any chance of a scan?

https://www.kikidee.info/y1966.html

:sweatingbullets:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!