You Really Move Me - mysterious soul acetate

vinylia

you_move_me_sample.mp3

Hello

This collector mate of mine has had this mysterious acetate for a long time.

The only clues on the label are the title "You Really Move Me," the publisher "Devon Music," and the publishing house it is attached to, The Richmond Organization, 10 Columbus Circle, New York, NY, for whom the acetate must have been cut as a demonstration record to find a singer to take it on.

The only other clue I've been able to find is a copyright registration for "You Really Move Me" in the name of Billy Barnes, in July 1965 (see images)

It's a fantastic soul stormer with a bit of a "Can I Get A Witness" feel in the piano.

Could it be the Billy Barnes who recorded for United Artists and Liberty in the late 50s and early 60s, and started out (as Willie Barnes) in groups like The Five Echoes, The Sultans and The Admirals with Eugene McDaniels? Apparently he continued writing songs after he gave up appearing onstage.

I finally managed to get a low-resolution sample of the song, and I'm hoping that someone out there can help solve the mystery of who the singer might be.

Has this been reissued? Or is an unknown gem?

Thanks!

Marc

barnes_billy_you_really_move_me_copyright_19650720.JPG

you_really_move_me_small.jpg

Edited by vinylia
smaller size label
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7 hours ago, vinylia said:

you_move_me_sample.mp3

Hello

This collector mate of mine has had this mysterious acetate for a long time.

The only clues on the label are the title "You Really Move Me," the publisher "Devon Music," and the publishing house it is attached to, The Richmond Organization, 10 Columbus Circle, New York, NY, for whom the acetate must have been cut as a demonstration record to find a singer to take it on.

The only other clue I've been able to find is a copyright registration for "You Really Move Me" in the name of Billy Barnes, in July 1965 (see images)

It's a fantastic soul stormer with a bit of a "Can I Get A Witness" feel in the piano.

Could it be the Billy Barnes who recorded for United Artists and Liberty in the late 50s and early 60s, and started out (as Willie Barnes) in groups like The Five Echoes, The Sultans and The Admirals with Eugene McDaniels? Apparently he continued writing songs after he gave up appearing onstage.

I finally managed to get a low-resolution sample of the song, and I'm hoping that someone out there can help solve the mystery of who the singer might be.

Has this been reissued? Or is an unknown gem?

Thanks!

Marc

you_really_move_me.jpg

barnes_billy_you_really_move_me_copyright_19650720.JPG

The Richmond Organisation TRO still seems to be going and they might have archives to help their email is 

copyright@songways.com

https://www.discogs.com/label/490171-Tro-Inc

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Link
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!