suinoz

If Andy Williams Had Been A Black Singer?

Just wondering as we have had some fantastic tunes on the Northern scene by white, black sounding artists, if Andy Williams had been black would his "can't take my eyes off you" had been a record that got played? It's a brilliant production and could be a perfect end of the night tune today, as would Franki Valli's version. Anyone play either of them?  Just my opinion but flip it up on you tube and have a listen, you'll know what I mean. T bone.

Edited by suinoz

3 minutes ago, suinoz said:

Just wondering as we have had some fantastic tunes on the Northern scene by white, black sounding artists, if Andy Williams had been black would his "can't take my eyes off you" had been a record that got played? It's a brilliant production and could be a perfect end of the night tune today. Just my opinion but flip it up on you tube and have a listen, you'll know what I mean. T bone.

😄😄I’m waiting for the punchline......

1 hour ago, solidsoul said:

It shouldn't really matter what colour he is, if it's a great record with the right production and feeling to suit the Northern scene, there is no reason not to play it!

Maybe, but only if hardly anyone bought it at the time of release and all the demo copies were distributed by a guy on a bicycle who dropped the records onto the highway, only for them to be crushed by a truck coming in the opposite direction, thus ending up with the surviving 45's becoming a rarity 😊👍🏿👍🏻

Edited by Soul16

Have to say when buying music i never think about the nationality of the Artist, Simply if i like it i buy it, as for playing a record out in a set same applies, i never play records that other DJs play Just because it is BIG, I have to like it myself as always think of myself as a Motivator rather than a sheep, that way a DJs Personality and taste comes through in what he introduces to his Audience. If it rocks my Boat i'm quite happy to part with the cash. 

This thread is very similar to the guilty pleasures one a few weeks ago. CTMYOOY was only one of many great songs performed by Andy Williams. He was a great singer, end of. White, black, pink-ish purple, it really doesn't matter. Same as others such as Elvis etc. A great voice is a great voice. Add that to a wonderfully written and produced song, and you have enjoyment. As we have had many white singers singing soulfully over the years, and whose records have become northern classics, we've also had many highly acclaimed middle of the road black singers who have never sung a suitable song for this scene to play. Colour "don't matter none" OK? Or at least it shouldn't. 

On 21/02/2019 at 08:44, local said:

Pretty sure that Andy version of the Earl Grant  has been played out at certain venues

It was played quite a lot on the Jazz scene in the 80's.  Andy Williams version pre-dates Earl Grant by 2 years.

Edited by John Reed

37 minutes ago, John Reed said:

It was played quite a lot on the Jazz scene on the 80's.  Andy Williams version pre-dates Earl Grant by 2 years.

It was also played regularly at the 'Blow Up' Mod club in the 90s and was put out on one of their compilation records

20 hours ago, Mark S said:

If Andy Williams was black he would still be  mediocre  but black and mediocre instead .

The real question is can a blue man sing the whites ? 

😛

Ha ha, I'm going to have to dig out my copy of Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse now! 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:52, RICK SCOTT said:

Have to say when buying music i never think about the nationality of the Artist, Simply if i like it i buy it, as for playing a record out in a set same applies, i never play records that other DJs play Just because it is BIG, I have to like it myself as always think of myself as a Motivator rather than a sheep, that way a DJs Personality and taste comes through in what he introduces to his Audience. If it rocks my Boat i'm quite happy to part with the cash. 

That hits the nail on the head for me Rick. Picked a nice copy of this up a couple of weeks ago and it will be getting a spin tomorrow in Shirebrook. Awkward live performance from Barry but a cracking little record to my ears 👂🎶

Posted (edited)
On 21/02/2019 at 09:14, Mark S said:

If Andy Williams was black he would still be  mediocre  but black and mediocre instead .

The real question is can a blue man sing the whites ? 

😛

Exactly!  He'd have been a Black Pop Singer, not very well liked on the Soul scene, just as Black MOR singers, who are a lot more MOR than Jazzy weren't popular with fans that liked singing more in the soulful vein. 

Just like Charlie Pride is a Black C&W singer.  His having dark skin and kinky hair doesn't make me like C&W songs any better when he's singing them.  I LOVE James Brown's original recordings of "Try Me" and "Please, Please, Please".  THAT fact doesn't help me to not HATE (with all my very being) virtually ALL Brown's Polydor recordings.  His early Federal recordings don't give his Polydor recordings even the slightest "credit".  Brown, himself, gets some credit to start to balance (a little forgiveness) the negative Polydor side, but that doesn't make them even slightly easier to listen to.

It's about the style and quality of the music, and the singing style of the singer.  I like Elvis Presley singing on his Sun records in the R&B style, and his few mid '60s Soul style cuts, like "Suspicious Minds". I absolutely HATE his commercial-sounding Pop and Rock & Roll "film soundtrack songs", and those made for his films, like "Viva Las Vegas" and "Do The Clam". 

Detroit's Duane Calvert (an African-American early '60s singer), on DMD Records, sang mostly bland ballads, in a very "White Poppish MOR style", to which I am very luke warm (more on the cooler side).  But, he also sang one song in a '50s R&B style, backed by a very tight harmony group.  THAT recording was excellent to my ears.  So, was he a not-so-good MOR singer? - or a good, soulful singer, who sang a lot of weak material because his producers wanted to pull more potential fans from a wider sector of the US population? 

Gene McDaniels was a Pop singer.  I would NEVER consider him a "Soul singer".  To me. "Walk With A Winner" is a "Pop" song.  I don't like it much, because the instrumental is a mess.  I like "Point of No Return", "Tower of Strength", and others of his songs, because they are very well-written, their music is well-played, and his singing is good on them.  But, I don't consider them "Soul songs", same for many of the Girls Group "Brill Building songs".  They are extremely well-written, and the singers' harmonies are good, but they are not Soul songs.  But, I like them a lot anyway.  "Cathy's Clown by The Everly Brothers is a Pop song.  A very good quality song, but Pop.  That same Everly Brothers' song, sung by Chicago's Ideals in front of a Monk Higgins track is pure "Soul". 

Nat "King" Cole, singing "Send For Me" is pure, soulful R&B.  Many of his songs are MOR "Pop", others are Jazz vocals, others are show tunes.  If he sang an Opera song, the standard way it was sung in the opera houses, would it be Soul because he had 90% markers usually found in sub-Saharan African populations(breeding groups)?

There were plenty of Black MOR singers.  Andy Williams would have been yet another (and not a bad one at all).  He was a talented singer, with an easy-going not so emotional style.  He was a well-trained singer, with a good voice, and decent range.  He COULD have done a very decent job singing in a more soulful style, had he chosen to do so).  But, he didn't.

Edited by RobbK

All depends on the definition of soul . My view is that soul music is the amplification of the black experience and sung by black artists and as Robb says not all of them have it .

White singers can sing in a soulful style but they are not soul singers they dont have the history . 

On 21/02/2019 at 08:14, suinoz said:

If Andy Williams had been black would his "can't take my eyes off you" had been a record that got played? 

Andy Williams ?

Well,he's no Perry Como- but then again who is ?..:D

Each to their own but what's soulful about that track anyway ? its just Easy Listening rubbish..over romanticised, saccharine pap and that 'famous' horn refrain sounds like something from a bad 1970s sitcom in my opinion..the word bland doesn't even begin to describe it. 

On 21/02/2019 at 17:14, Mark S said:

if Andy Williams was black he would still be  mediocre  but black and mediocre instead .

Agreed.This sums it up exactly..

On 21/02/2019 at 08:19, Colnago said:

I'm waiting for the punchline......

Yeah,you and me both..

Posted (edited)

I don't see why Williams wouldn't get played at one or two venues. Some Big City records by white singers are part of the northern soul play-list. Personally Andy Williams version of the song is no more than pleasant to me . I prefer The Ambassadors version or Frankie Valli's . The latter was on his solo LP that I bought in 1971 pre teen so it had a head start for me. The LP also contained 'You 're Ready Now' , a tune much loved on some parts of the scene.

Edited by Firecrest
Additional information.

Ive been waiting years for this opportunity , and Im not sure it fits totally with your Thread , but... , If Paul Weller had been Black..American and  obscure and put this out in the US in the 1960's how massive might this have been on the Northern Soul Scene.  Written just prior to the Jam splitting and delivered with a brilliant  pastiche' Northern Youth Club disco. A heartfelt anthem for Unity , hope and positivity.  Now I know no Northern DJ would risk playing it .. but if that moment comes Id get out there on my own to do it justice. If you don't like Weller's voice there's an Instrumental version that never got released apparently.  Shout to the Top could be another one .. , a clear nod to The Armada Orchestra if you ask me. Great Thread by the way. 

Keep the Faith .. across boundaries.. 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts