Ultra Rare Modern

Simon M

• Replies 305
  • Views 31.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Gavin Page

I think Clarkie has the only confirmed 7 in the UK ???.

rUSS

Didn't know there was one :D What's the story on this Russ do you know ?

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

True story Simon, it pisses me off when this record is mentioned or when Butch plays it.

I purchased a copy from Mike Charlton around 1990 for £30. About a week or so later Mike got in touch with me and asked for the record back as Sam wanted a copy and Mike assured me that further copies were on his way to him and I'd have a replacement copy very soon. I vaguely re-call some issues in Middlesborough at the time so I didn't hassle Mike about the record and just made a note of it to deal with at the right time.

Fast forward many years later, I'm dj'ing at the Bridge & Tunnel with Butch, he plays Ice which got me wondering what happened to my copy.

I'm lead to believe that mine went to Sam via Mike (I thought he left the country). This copy then went to Chris Huggins which then went to Butch.

Butch may well have got another one from Japan, either way Mike Charlton still owes me this bloody record !!!

BTW. I've always found the Tab Walton a bugger to find.

We can bloody tell him at Yarmuff :D:shades:

Social source share

Didn't know there was one :D What's the story on this Russ do you know ?

Was recently looking at one of Ian's lists (Oct 2004) and theres a scan of the Solid Solution 45. I always thought it was album only untill i seen this. Must be very rare.

Tomo

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Was recently looking at one of Ian's lists (Oct 2004) and theres a scan of the Solid Solution 45. I always thought it was album only untill i seen this. Must be very rare.

Tomo

Missed that ? Yeah got to be bloody hard !

Social source share

QUOTE MArk Gurney

Butch may well have got another one from Japan, either way Mike Charlton still owes me this bloody record !!!

Mike Charlton , thats the bloke , ..One of my favourite dealers in the 80's , he used to give me records , and his £1 section was brilliant

BTW. I've always found the Tab Walton a bugger to find.

A few in Clarkies box at the 100 club mid 80's , as well as SPG :thumbsup:

Ps. Anyone got a Horizon "Give it up" a good funky dancer

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

"Don't ask me" off that LP is also an absolute fist-clencher of a deepie (deep in the raw 60s sense, more than the "candles and shiny cutlery" stuff that besmirched much of the 70s)!

Might even be on the flip of the single?

CORR :thumbsup: , DID'NT KNOW SOLID SOLUTION WAS ON 7". GOT THE LP, A FANTASTIC AND VASTLY UNDERPLAYED TRACK.

CHEERS, BRI.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

(deep in the raw 60s sense, more than the "candles and shiny cutlery" stuff that besmirched much of the 70s)

Qaulity quote :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Tomo

Gavin this is where I saw the scan too & what I based my post on, seems to me that unless someone knows any better that this could be in the 'list' maybe...........possibly not a 'trendy' enough sound tho' with it being readily available at a reasonable price on the LP whistling.gif .

Hope you are well mate. Looking forward to seeing you later in the year.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Gavin this is where I saw the scan too & what I based my post on, seems to me that unless someone knows any better that this could be in the 'list' maybe...........possibly not a 'trendy' enough sound tho' with it being readily available at a reasonable price on the LP whistling.gif .

Hope you are well mate. Looking forward to seeing you later in the year.

Best Russ

Russ, yes mate will be great to see you again. Hope you are all well ?

I will give Ian a bell and get the low down. Really want to know about this one.

Social source share

• 6 years later...

Well Sag war fare is a four figure piece of vinyl on original.

Raised in profile since Numero Group re  - issued the 45 as part of their Numero 45 package last year .

Even the second issue copy has been listed @ £100.

Incidentally some members of the group are still performing around Florida... , and one of their sons was hawking the copyrights to interested parties prior to Numero signing last year . 

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I posted anything but I keep coming back to this thread so why not start here...

Motherfox - Fallen In To Love [Shabang]
Herby Brown - One More Broken Heart [Blue Ash]
S.P.G. – Loveland [Magick]
Coco & Ben - Good Feeling [Earth World]

I'm pretty sure none of these qualify if we are talking 5 or less copies around but still pretty rare I guess!?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Coco & Ben - Good Feeling [Earth World], seen this come up a few times, maybe not as rare as the others in your list Kristoffer.... great record though..

anybody remember Demetrice Faire – Young Girl, copies were about some years ago, but haven't seen one in ages, not mega rare but certainly one thats disappeared...

Sorry Dave T,  but 'I lost you girl - Sir George',  has to be one of the most boring records I ever bought, semi rare Id say, they seem to turn up every so often...

Mal.C

Social source share

Been a while since I posted anything but I keep coming back to this thread so why not start here...

I'm pretty sure none of these qualify if we are talking 5 or less copies around but still pretty rare I guess!?

Had Motherfox and SPG on my website in the last month along with some very rare modern 45s.

I now have this one up for offers, I've never seen or heard it before, does anyone know anything about this 45 The Loveletts - I Cant make You Stay / Simple Song, link below to sound file and scan

https://www.raresoul45s.co.uk/shop/auctions/loveletts?product_id=3037&category_id=9

Thanks Darren

Edited by Raresoul45s
Social source share

Had Motherfox and SPG on my website in the last month along with some very rare modern 45s.

I now have this one up for offers, I've never seen or heard it before, does anyone know anything about this 45 The Loveletts - I Cant make You Stay / Simple Song, link below to sound file and scan

https://www.raresoul45s.co.uk/shop/auctions/loveletts?product_id=3037&category_id=9

Thanks Darren

Had a few things on this label before. Not had this one myself, but it does pop up from time to time. Everything on the label is early 70's Dallas recordings, I'll ask Bobby Patterson if he remembers the peeps behind the label, he's usually pretty good on stuff from his city as he was also a DJ

Social source share

Had a few things on this label before. Not had this one myself, but it does pop up from time to time. Everything on the label is early 70's Dallas recordings, I'll ask Bobby Patterson if he remembers the peeps behind the label, he's usually pretty good on stuff from his city as he was also a DJ

cheers Dave appreciated 

Rgds Darren

Edited by Raresoul45s
Social source share

All these are soooo goood, I wonder why there is no reissue of Coco & Ben , even the b-side of that 7'' is amazing, never ever seen a copy.

Social source share

All these are soooo goood, I wonder why there is no reissue of Coco & Ben , even the b-side of that 7'' is amazing, never ever seen a copy.

Arthur Fenn sent me the Co Co and Ben 45 on spec probably late 80s.Sent it back as it just did not sound right for the modern scene at the time.Still not a fan after a quick spin on youtube.

Will try and get a listen of flip somewhere.

Social source share

How about this? Love Company - Love Tempo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAa8cFIL5U

love that record , sadly mine is not in great shape. But to be fair there is a shed load of stuff from that period that are only known to be in the hands of a few. I also have that original press of that Glenda Mcleod. Probably one of the most musically unique records from the period to be played on the scene. One record that I have always wished would get more exposure is Darrell Johnson 'Days gone past' on DTJ productions . Recorded in 1980 but way ahead of it's time when you listen to the production. Just looking at a few things here, that Henderson & Jones 45 never seemed to surface. As for the Fabulous friends 45 on budweiser, The Temps would have been proud of that!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's another one I don't think have been mentioned in this thread:

Glenda Mcleod "No Stranger To Love" HGEI - 1st press

Lovely tune and not many seem to have the first press of it. How many copies do you know of?

Wouldn't mind one of these  myself, great memories  of Clarkie at the 100 club. 

Social source share

Great revisiting this thread recently and appreciate majority interest is in rare records, but some very rare CDs out there for sure...Was lucky enough to recently pick up a couple of mint original copies of the absolutely stunning Michigan Soul Searchers "Where could I go" from 1996 and championed since then by Mark Merry, Mick ODonnell, Brian Goucher and the like. Thanks again to Brian for putting me on to it as it is without doubt one of the most uplifting modern gospel dancers I've ever heard and probably ever will.:thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

What about this one,

Brand New - Thousand Years on Du-vern

glad I didnt sleep on the limited reissue from Henry Stone Music Co. ,can´t afford the original

btw, anyone know where I can listen to DJ Hitoshi Takasawas modern soul mixes mentioned here?

Social source share

Wouldn't mind one of these  myself, great memories  of Clarkie at the 100 club. 

Hi Phil, Just came back to this thread and saw your comment. I was at Black Echoes in the electro era. A package came in from North Carolina with a 12" vocoder dance record - by the Garrett Crew, they had packed the 12" with 3 copies of Glenda McLeod. I rang the company who had already gone bust and were setting up an Amusement Arcade. So for a few weeks I had all three copies, gave one to Ian Clark (100 Club) and another to Dave Thorley (Stafford) and kept the other which I still have. Not claiming there are only three first issues as I simply don't know but not many around. Ironically, the vocoder 12" which I hated is supposedly big on the German electro scene. Great thread Simon.   

• Helpful 2
Social source share

None are that rare if you have deep pockets.

Don't see why anyone dislikes this comment.

Luther Davis would have probably still been a one off if someone hadn't of offered me £2k for it 15+ years ago for it.

I resisted a similar amount for Sonic Explosion thank god as it has a great slow flip.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

so...most of all really good very rare modern soul will eventually get re-released (BBE, Jazzman, Cultures of Soul, Lotusland, PPU etc).... so I await patiently :-)
...but still waiting for a proper loud clean reissue of this absolute killer modern soul : Jerry Blackshear - Defected from your love - ERAL. Want the b-side too

Edited by Jow
Social source share

Re: Sy Hightower - "I Wonder Why"

I thought this was a cut off the unreleased LP that Soul Sam and now Steve G owns?? Is there a 45????

I'd like to know how many of these there are???

Sandy Golden - When we are alone tonight - MASTERPIECE

Willie Tee - I peeped your hold card - GATUR

Gene Townsel - There's no use hiding / I'm walking away - DOBRE

Paul Capon

Social source share

I thought this was a cut off the unreleased LP that Soul Sam and now Steve G owns?? Is there a 45????

Paul Capon

Sy is owned by Steve & Butch, Sam has never had it, Willie & Gene not really up there in the rarity stakes 8-) Sandy poss 5 over here.

Social source share

Paul Capon

Sy Hightower was re-issued?  on I think Hayley Records but I thought that was something to do with you anyway Paul?

Isn't  Gene Townsel on another label Balance Town as well

Edited by Dazz
added extra
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's another one I don't think have been mentioned in this thread:

Glenda Mcleod "No Stranger To Love" HGEI - 1st press

Lovely tune and not many seem to have the first press of it. How many copies do you know of?

Absolute modern classic! I got one off Tim Brown a while back but think there's only a handful out there, the label print is identical to the 2nd press but is a slightly darker red. The vinyl though is heavier and opaque unlike the 2nd press which  you can see through under a good light. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!